Target Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

4.1
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Senior Team Leader at Reston Target"

Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Team Lead in Reston, VA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed my job at Target. I was a Sr. TL which meant that I was a TL over the Softlines area while I also had LOD responsibilities. It was the perfect amount of responsibility as I wasn't stressed out about the same things the Execs had to deal with (scheduling, longer hours, etc.) but I still had more responsibilities than a Team Lead at the store. Target, more than any other job, really encourages the team members to get along and they hire bubbly, fun people who are pretty easygoing in general, with some exceptions. The benefits (health insurance, vacation, etc.) are great and the leadership and HR team work with you to help you figure out the best plan for you.

If the Store Manager sees talent in you, they will move you up quickly through the ranks. As long as you have a college degree and you prove yourself in the job, management wants to see you become an Exec.

Cons

The downsides of working at Target are relative to retail in general. You have to be available for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so in that regard, the work/life balance is called into question.

Advice to Management

Ke

2. "Repetitive"

Current Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Reston, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to listen to music
    you get to work individually as well as a team
    Good exercise

Cons

physically demanding
    very repetitive
    monotonous

Advice to Management

Try to be more concerned on whether or not the job is done well rather than how fast the job is done

"Great high school job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hours weren't bad at all, was always pretty pleased with my schedule, the pay was pretty great for jus being there part-time and I mean I was a high school student so to be getting some money wasn't bad at all

Cons

There weren't many cons it was a great place overall, I guess sometimes attitudes from coworkers but everyone has bad days so can't really count it as a con

4. "overall good, team members are very easy to work with, team leads are okay, everything is fairly easy to learn."

Current Employee - Logistics Team Member in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Logistics Team Member in Reston, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy fun work environment, easy to learn, not too demanding

Cons

theyre crazy about overtime, schedule you part time hours to avoid overtime

Advice to Management

if someone is scheduled to work full time let them get at least 40 hours a week, or at least give them the chance to

"Great"

Current Employee - Brand Team Member in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Brand Team Member in Reston, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast, fun, friendly place to work with a nice, clean environment. The managers make sure there is almost always free food in the break room and offer incentives to drive sales. The 10% employee discount is nice as well.

Cons

Low pay and low raises. Lots of work and not enough time to complete it all. It's hard to move up in the company as well.

"Excellent starting job out of college."

Former Employee - ETL in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - ETL in Reston, VA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary ($50k+), tremendous growth potential -- as long as you're performing well, you should get your first raise after one year of employment & promotion after 18 months. They only promote from within which is great -- nationally recognized sales/business/retail training program.

Cons

Work weekends, some long hours, retail.

Advice to Management

Make sure you give feedback (positive & negative) on work performance. Ensure that first store position is compatible with the executives interests/personality.

7. "Fast Pace..Do more with less attitude"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Good health care coverage. For the most part they work with my schedual and balance work life with home life.

Cons

If you are new to Target you will be required to have open availibilty, which means you are available to work 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

make promotions available within the company based on work performance and time spent with the company. A college degree should not be the main qualifier for upper managment.

"Ok Job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Reston, VA

Pros

There is a decent employee discount. There is also a very diverse workforce here so its interesting meeting people from different cultures.

Cons

The biggest downside would be the pay vs the amount and type of work. Also in this area there are a lot of snooty people that turn their noses up to anyone in a service job.

Advice to Management

Not much to say here. All in all, the management here is doing a decent job within the corporate guidelines they have. Better pay for the positions would be nice, as would bonuses for exceptional work, however I highly doubt the managers would be able to do that.

Showing 8 of 25,713 reviews