Target Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long Hours can impact work life balance (in 1417 reviews)

• Hours tend to fluctuate for regular team members (in 1503 reviews)

1. "working at target in flordia"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Target (More than a year)

Pros

it was fun every day

Cons

nothing i believe it was fab

2. "I like to make sure all customers have what they need"

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Wadsworth, OH
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Wadsworth, OH

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to help customers, to make sure everyone customer that comes in finds what they need.

Cons

I don't see any downsides

Advice to Management

idk

3. "Hardlines"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate/Cashier in Bronx, NY

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target is more than a team its more like family u learn from each other and grow

Cons

Target dont give u enough hrs

Advice to Management

Im a team player and a fast learner u would love to have me apart of ya team

4. "Fun and great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great managers, flexible schedule, great environment, awesome coworkers, team oriented environment

Cons

Low pay, lack of hours

Advice to Management

More hours for everyone

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with a school schedule.

Cons

Management doesn't communicate well with employees.

"Good place to work BUT"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a bad place to work... if you're either in highschool, college, stay at home mom looking for money, post-retirement, post-pregnancy etc. Your availability is usually accepted as long as you can work weekends, if you say you can't work weekends, don't even apply or expect the job lol. Pay is decent if you're looking to make a little money, but if you're looking to make money or big money, Target is not an option.

Some good benefits, lots of local discounts for working at Target as well, management is usually really great to work with, and the atmosphere is good. Not too many customers jump straight to yelling at you, everyone seems to be nice to each other. Target is a great place to work if you are a people person, it's quite expected that you attempt to greet every guest that you see. For the most part, performance expectations are made to your abilities.

My co-workers in other areas perform to expectations and do their jobs. I am a cashier, and most cashiers absolutely love to hate their jobs and make up any reason to NOT do it. But, in my experience with Cart Attending and working the floor, everyone performs and I love it.

At Target you can expect a very diverse culture amongst workers. You will find old and young, inexperienced and experienced, gay or straight, you get my drift. Target does NOT discriminate at all, if it wasn't a law to provide equal opportunity, they still would offer it. Target is a great company to work, they offer some great benefits, local discounts, and a good atmosphere to work for that might make it bearable if you're stuck there for a while.

I'm looking forward to submitting my two weeks purely because I can't make a living here and advancement in my store is not possible for me, I have no future here. Despite all the bad I say about it, it's not all that bad. If you're 16 looking for a job until your 18-19 or trying to get through college, this is the job for you. if you're looking for post-retirement money, this is for you. If you're a stay at home mom who's looking to make some more money to provide, this is for you. If you're looking to make a little money, this is for you in general.

Cons

Low pay, you probably won't see more than $12 an hour, not even the older seniorities in much more important roles. Yearly raises are minimal at best, even for performing workers. No chance for additional raises to fit your situation, you will get turned away immediately. Not even if you've been with the company for years and simply need more money but love the job too much, if you get a raise, it's very minimal. Do not take this job unless you appreciate living paycheck to paycheck.

I had no opportunities to advance at all. I did, I applied, got the new positions, worked it for a good two-three weeks and would get scheduled back in my old position. For the most part, Executive Team Leads are all freshly graduated kiddos with no experience in management at all or no history in Target, you will notice a high case of not hiring internally for management positions.

Redcards, if you are a cashier or electronics TM, will become a word you see in nightmares. Upon interview you're sure to be asked about redcards, if you're able to talk about them, and to sell them, then they double check to make sure you're SURE you can. You won't get fired if you can't sell them... right away, but if you can't you can be sure to get talked to multiple times before eventual termination.

I have absolutely zero idea on how some Target workers can afford to pay bills and a mortgage with this job, their spouses must make a majority of the household income if so, this job is not good for adult things. For two years it's helped pay off my car, insurance, and other little things, but I'm looking forward to buying a house with my girlfriend, providing for her, and making a comfortable living.

Advice to Management

My management honestly is pretty great, if I had to say anything, it's not in their control. Higher pay for higher performance/responsibility, more opportunity, skill recognition, and others would be a plus. My time spent working with my Target management has been nothing but positive.

7. "Good place to work for homemakers looking for part time gig"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Good compensation for the work

Cons

Gossipy female colleagues
    Minimal On-the-Job Training

Advice to Management

Invest in training the Sales Associate/Cashier

8. "Your experience may vary..."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Trainer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate/Trainer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Target (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the grocery department exclusively which gave me a lot of freedom and allowed me to avoid working anywhere else in the store (which I hated). Met some great friends, time off was easy to attain, paid above minimum wage

Cons

Really depends on the store's leadership more than anything. So many promotions and attempts to improve shopping experience or improve the store in some way. Other crap employees can make the job more difficult for you and it is VERY difficult to get fired once you are established

Advice to Management

Don't try to make me care about store sales or how numbers are in the rest of the district. It doesn't matter to me and it doesn't impact how I work.

"Excellent place to work for new and seasoned."

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team members are very friendly and helpful.
    During holidays, food is provided like on thanksgiving.
    Guest(cuatomers) are treated with respect.
    Managers are very encouraging.

Cons

There are no cons at target.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

10. "Working in Softlines"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sandy, UT

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, team meetings, extra dollar per hour if you stay after a certain hour during holidays. team spirit

Cons

Lots of push to get things done. not a lot of good communication which always depends on your team for the day.