Target Sales Floor Team Leader Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fulfilling"

Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Norman, OK

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company as a whole is very inclusive and diverse. Target gives the opportunity for upward mobility to people that might be overlooked by other companies. The benefits are great and the pay can be great also if you work hard enough for it.

Cons

Retail as an industry is changing very fast. The opportunities for advancement are evaporating quickly. Target is not immune to the changing landscape of retail. They are quickly getting rid of middle management just like everyone else.

Advice to Management

There are hardworking and talented team leaders that are willing to change with the company as it changes. They are invaluable to the future of Target. Unfortunately they are being used as scapegoats to protect ETL's that are scrambling to save their own jobs. The company wide changes are embraced by the leaders that want to be the change you need. We are being discarded by the leaders that fear the necessary changes.

2. "Senior Team Leader"

Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, there is an opportunity for growth.

Cons

Being in a leadership position, there is not much of a work/life balance. You have to work every holiday that Target is open for.

3. "Love the Team, Not the Company"

Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the best I've ever had the pleasure being around. We endured a lot of corporate change, a lot of in store change, and a lot of day to day madness of retail together. They were the reason I went to work every day.

Cons

Management made a terrible team lead hire that is eventually going to run everyone off and wont do anything about it because they would have to admit they made a mistake, they were wrong, and that's never going to happen. Also, they have an unethical review process wherein Mgr's will change scores for their favorites or they will give you the lowest score possible to prevent promotion for at least another 18-24 months without any documentation or evidence to back it up. This is especially unethical when everyone of your check in's over the year leading up to the review has been stellar, exceptional, etc. One final note, they will flat out lie to you. I was hired in and guaranteed a promotion to ETL after 18 months by both the STL and the DTL. IT didn't' happen, instead they got political with the annual review to keep me down. Funny, I turned down ETL initially when hired off the street because I couldn't move immediately, however 18 months later after working fot Target, I'm suddenly not ready for a job I was ready for and offered when I walked in the door? Absolutely unprofessional!

Advice to Management

People have lives, bills, things they want to pursue. The fluctuation in hours for team members is unsatisfactory and is built upon a broken labor model nobody, and I mean NOBODY uses. Piling on hours for a visit so the store looks good and then barely surviving on a skeleton crew afterwards is no way to run a business. Start making the business about the team again, not the bottom line. Stop lying to people. Listen to your team when they are all collectively telling you someone is a bad seed, a cancer if you will. They might be right, which means you might be wrong.

4. "Fun, Fast, Friendly."

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, friendly environment and co-workers. Benefits are good and even better with the RedCard. The people who work with me are the best part about the job.

Cons

Work life balance is challenging, especially when enrolled in school. Can be overwhelming and challenging during busy times of the years. Can be slow, and boring during slow times.

Advice to Management

Management does a lot of things well but one thing I thing they could improve on in particular is their relationship with employees. There is almost a dividing line between management and non-management.

5. "Senior team leader of Target"

Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Riverhead, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Riverhead, NY

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Community involvement
    Benefits
    Discount
    Flexible schedule
    Employee recognition

Cons

Limited training
    High turn over rate
    Broken promises for advancement

Advice to Management

Focus on the talent you have instead of believeing all employees are replaceable

6. "Management at Target"

Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor
    Former Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a great company to work for because of health benefits and 401(K) options.

Cons

The hours are not consistent. They flip flop on hours. No set schedule. They hire off of interviewing skills instead of experience so turn over is always high.

Advice to Management

Offer set schedules and reward employees for experience

"Store Leadership"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader Sales Floor/Guest Experience in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great work environment, fun culture, team focused.
    -Dependant upon your STL, you have a lot of freedom to be your own business owner. As an ETL you're in charge and run a group of team leaders and their team members. It's your responsibility to make decisions and take complete ownership.
    - What drives me to come to work everyday is my team. Once you develop and establish your team there is a sense of family.
    -I personally love to develop, train, and coach my team. As their ETL, I am responsible for their growth and guidance.
    - The pay is fantastic. I was hired directly out of college as a Sr. Team Leader making $18/hr and within 5 years increased $50k as an ETL, essentially $10k/year increase. If you perform you'll be compensated well.
    -Not only does Target pay well, their overall compensation package is great! Benefits, discounts, incentives, etc!
    -Target's leadership training is phenomenal. As an ETL you'll go through "business college" for 6 weeks, then in role will go through various training seminars, and leadership classes. Target is very passionate about their leaders and their development.

Cons

-Specifically as a Sales Floor/Guest Experience ETL you are responsible for essentially every department in the store apart from Logistics (Front end, Food Ave, Starbucks, Hardlines, Softlines, Consumables, Visual Merchandising, Electronics, Seasonal). It will be extremely overwhelming and tough to manage and have successful "Green" running workcenters if you don't have solid Team Leaders in those specific workcenters. The company, over the past few years, has consolidated store leadership positions (Team leader and ETL). A store's leadership organizational chart is based on volume. The store would run a lot smoother and it would be a lot less stressful if they were additional ETL's or TL's above high capacity workcenters.
    -You'll work long hours, especially during the holidays and if you're store/workcenter are broken. The long hours will get to you and could break you if you don't see results overtime. You will get burnt out. The key, as an ETL, is to manage your TL's well, not to take on everything yourself. You'll fail.
    -Not only are they eliminating leadership positions in stores, they are also condensing district and group level positions. Because of this there are less opportunities for leaders in stores to move into a district/group role. There isn't as much advancement upwards once you're in stores. Groups made up of 7 districts are now condensed to 4 districts, eliminating BP (Business Partner) roles and DTL roles. This is obviously a great way to cut major costs, but as a leader in the store looking to advanced out you'll have to be patient and potentially be willing to relocate.
    -Like most companies, in my experience, Target plays favoritism and politics to an extent.
    - Due to difficulties making financial goals as a company Target has been cutting back on spending budgets in stores, one specifically being Team Builds! Team builds were a time for ETL's and STL's to go out together outside of work and socialize. It was a great team building opportunity, but now those are eliminated :(
    - District level expectations at times can be unrealistic. It seems District and Group leaders who have been out of store for years forget the struggles and obstacles stores face.

Advice to Management

- District and Group leaders- don't be so quick to conclusions dealing with anything. Problem solve and investigate more to see what are the root causes of issues as opposed to jumping to conclusions and making a decision.
    - With that being said ^^^ If a TL or ETL is underperforming do your due deligence and work with the STL to find out why. Don't assume and make up your mind that the particular leader needs to be coached out and that they'll never improve. Target senior leadership has a tendency to identify low problem performing leaders and be deligent on terminating them through performance management, no questions asked, even if there is some improvement. It's almost as if they identify you as a low performing leader, that is the end for you, no salvation. They have made up their mind.
    - Do not put newly hired recent college grads into complex ETL roles such as Logistics or Sales Floor/GE. You'll burn those kiddies out! Not to mention store processes are in the hands of some 22 year old whose priorities a few months ago were going to bars and doing keg stands. Invest and pay a little more for experienced ETL's for these roles. Turnover won't be so high.
    - Keep it "100"

8. "Overall Great Company"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader Sales Floor/Guest Experience in Houston, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros I have experienced are as follows:

Opportunity to Grow

Competitive Pay

Diversity

Activity in the Community

Let's you "own" your Business by give you more freedom in years past to make sales decisions.

Cons

Not too many cons. I have listed the few that I have consistently experienced.

Work Life Balance
    Unrealistic at Times

9. "Mostly rewarding, challenging, always changing."

Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Team Leader, Sales Floor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Constantly changing to stay current. Allows growth as individual. Inclusive of all types of people, allowing for learning outside your comfort zone.

Cons

Low pay for expectations. Long hours, not enough help. Management carries most of the workload. Work life balance non-existent, or rare.

Advice to Management

Acknowledging the store leadership under the higher management with acceptable pay and hours.

"I love Working for the company, my store, not so much!"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Prattville, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Prattville, AL

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very supportive and employee oriented. They love to promote from within and allow team members to advance as far as they want.

Cons

The store I am in has some of the worst leadership I have ever worked under. The ETL's are ALL new to role and we are their learning experience! Our STL is leaving and it will be mid September before her replacement comes in and I just hope we aren't beyond repair by the time she comes in. Last month they screwed up the schedule so badly we had to cut nearly 100 hrs of payroll the last week so they could balance! We didn't even have enough staff to do workload! It's really bad and morale sucks!

Advice to Management

Get help for what you don't understand. Staff based on workload and don't expect the same 2 people to do everything. Appreciate the team members that do all the work and you know you can count on. DONT RUN OFF GOOD PEOPLE!