Target Reviews in Schaumburg, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2018

Found 20 reviews

2.6
Brian Cornell
  1. "Overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Logistics in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company for development and career growth. A great company to develop many different skill sets that will enhance your career.

Cons

Unfortunately, you will be working long hours. It is harder to achieve a really good work/life balance.

Target2014-11-15
  2. "A great opportunity to learn and grow, but can become mundane after a while"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, always a new role you can take on, but they all kind of become the same after a while. 10% discount. Staff are very friendly and very relaxed environment

Cons

It's retail, benefits are okay, but not great. High premiums and high deductibles even with best plan options. No tuition plans unless you are looking for MBA. Always looking to "hit" your "numbers"

Advice to Management

Offer better benefits and don't use Obamacare as an excuse to stop offering PT insurance

Target2014-09-09

"Company is Changing for the Worse... Taking it out on the team"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Food in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting Salary 52k Hires good people Good for personal development

Cons

Personal growth- you can only be an STL if you want to move up and you better fight hard and work all the time to get there. Limited Resources- you have no payroll and are expected to have the store looking perfect at all times If things aren't going well they will blame Team Leaders and ETLs and will begin firing people Team members are overworked and underpaid You can go from having an excellent review and in...

Advice to Management

Target should stop blaming its bad business decisions by taking it out on the team and laying people off as a solution.

Target2014-08-21

"High expectations, little respect"

Current Employee - Signing Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Challenging workload, flexible hours, Options to cross-train

Cons

Poor best practice plans, Poor communication as a whole (i.e. corporate communication to individual stores and corporates knowledge of individual store operations/setup), Little appreciation from Executives and Team leads to team members, Company focused mentality versus employee or guest focused, small or no raises, Lack of support from management to meet expectations; promotional opportunities are handed to the favorites...

Advice to Management

Remember that its the team members who keep the store running. Constantly pushing them to work harder and faster and never showing them appreciation is wearing hard on the team. Also, give the team credit for what they do - don't take credit for something you had no part in.

Target2013-09-03

"People Are Great; Can't Pay My Bills."

Current Employee - Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall, the people I work with are great. There are decent benefits (health, 401k). The culture is positive and there is recognition of your hard work by peers and supervisors.

Cons

As a Team Lead, I am grossly underpaid. It's a management position, but is still an hourly wage instead of salary. It is not commensurate with the level of responsibility. After taxes, my net is $22,000+ a year...keep in mind I'm responsible for over 10 Team Members and a multi-million dollar department. Working off the clock to get paperwork/scheduling done is sometimes a necessity because you are spread so thin...

Advice to Management

Provide separate payroll category for Team Leads to do weekly scheduling. Team Lead position should be salary. A management position should not have a wage below $30,000/year; the level of responsibility of a Team Lead is far too great to be paid under this. Allow Team Leads with experience, but not a 4-year degree, to be ETL's.

Target2013-07-21

"Target Pharmacy Technician - Would Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

- You will be exposed to everything that takes place in a typical pharmacy. - Good position for those who like to work in a small group environment. - You can learn a lot of useful skills regarding pharmacy (although if it's like my experience, you will end up teaching them to yourself). - As far as retail pharmacy tech positions go, pay is high. - Will pay for test to become certified.

Cons

- Little to no formal training. - (For me personally) Poor management and did not like the attitude of pharmacy manager, especially as a new hire. - Very poor/fluctuant hours (hours are based on script count. Near the end of my employment there my hours were being cut daily). - Very frustrating experience for someone with no former tech experience. - Felt like general attitude of staff towards new hire-es was negative....

Advice to Management

Do not hire brand new employees with no prior experience if you do not want to formally train them, as there is a TON to learn and it can be a very frustrating and overwhelming experience.

Target2013-07-27
  7. "Overnight Shift"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Target part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work early hours got out by noon. Able to wear headphones and listen to music while working. Workers were recognized when they went above and beyond the call of duty.

Cons

Early start time, 4am. Many of the co-workers were not very sociable. Not a job to make a career out of.

Advice to Management

Offer more advice to struggling employees.

Target2013-06-13

"Retail Management"

Former Employee - Executive Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Target full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great clearance sales and having a daily opportunity to shop. Love Target merchandise!

Cons

Overworked and not enough compensation for hard physical labor work. Company advertises a fast fun and friendly culture but does not deliver. Target does not develop leaders, it's very political and how well you lie to them.

Advice to Management

Head quarter executives need to work at store level to see what is a realistic expectation and what is not! Easier said than done!

Target2013-01-20

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Executive Team Lead in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Multiple ways to move up in the company regardless of what position you start at.

Cons

The team will develop you into a higher leader by giving you the responsibility of that level, but not the pay. All this does make it easier to move up.

Advice to Management

Try your best to work there!

Target2012-07-22
  10. "not bad for an entry level job."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Target

Pros

target was a fun place to work mainly for the other team members. some of the upper management was cool but there is always that one rotten egg and she got to me, so I quit.

Cons

you have to be on your feet for a long period of time so get some comfortable shoes!

Advice to Management

make sure the people you hire aren't smartasses.

Target2010-08-27