Target Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

2.8
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Good option... for retail work"

Former Employee - Team Member in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Seattle, WA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, decent benefits, job was rarely boring or monotonous as there was always something to work on. I really liked my immediate team I worked with. Decent room for promotions and changing departments within the company, and always different shifts to pick up. There are many more painful and boring jobs to work in retail.

Cons

Stressful, dealt with a lot of rude customers, too many managers to report to. Most of them ignore you until you're in trouble. Corporate doesn't seem to care about the lower tier employees, who work the sales floor. The 'raises' they offer are laughable - look forward to getting a 'reasonable' 15 cent raise. Some employees got 10 cent raises.

Whenever the store wouldn't do as well in profit, they'd start cutting our hours mercilessly. I went from about 35 hrs/week to about 12 when it was "too slow". I told them I couldn't live on that, and they didn't care. They gave me a night shift I couldn't physically work (I was exhausted all the time, for weeks), and when I asked them for a different one, they refused to do so. It's normal for employees to pick up a second job during the "slow" season - when they work for a multi-million dollar company!

Advice to Management

Value your retail employees more. Our location lost half our team because the management was not concerned enough about keeping us. All of us would've stayed with more competitive pay and better hours.

2. "-"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Hardlines in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Hardlines in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees just trying to make a living.

Cons

Greedy upper management that cuts corners.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and you'll hit your bottom line targets faster.

3. "Back-flow /early morning stocking and logistics"

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

FUN
    Competitive pay
    Uniform policy is nice
    Lots of mobility

Cons

Holiday workload is crazy
    Training is sub-par In my opinion

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"A learning expletive"

Current Employee - COSMETICS in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - COSMETICS in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well, hours are alright and the work is easy. You will gain knowledge about retail as you grow and there are many opportunities to work in different call centers.

Cons

Managers are unorganized, the store can become very chaotic at times especially when there are many call outs. Never enough cashiers to cover front end so as a hardlines team member you spend half your shift on the check line

Advice to Management

You will more likely learn from experience then from training

5. "Decent Place to Work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Team emphasis is the most rewarding thing about working in this environment. The people are what make it special. Pretty good work life balance but definitely demanding during holidays.

Cons

Not staying relevant to changing technology and guest needs. Sometimes tasks completed by store leadership are something that should be allocated to team members, but payroll constraints prevent it.

6. "Clothing department."

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Seattle, WA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to work with a team was useful in getting tasks accomplished. We would work together to make sure all the clothes that were tried on were folded and hung up.

Cons

Some team members don't pull their weight. Management wouldn't say anything to those who slacked off. I put in maximal effort, so it was frustrating to see others play on their phones and screw around while I tried to accomplish my tasks.

7. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary
    Friendly managers
    Not fast food

Cons

Scheduled outside of my availability many times and then punished for being unavailable
    Mean customers
    Upper management is not nice

Advice to Management

Don't schedule people (especially students) outside of their approved hours

8. "GSTL"

Current Employee - GSTL in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - GSTL in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the team members are amazing

Cons

upper management, ETLs & STL are a job, there is total disconnect from the TLs and store requirements and no communication passed down

Advice to Management

Leadership Expectations should be the same across the board for ETL, STL and down. The salaried leaders come in late and leave early and don't share any of the work load. I would recommend holding them accountable - lead by example and actions.

9. "Team Member Cashier - good entry-level or transitional job"

Current Employee - Team Member/Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Team Member/Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

Better-than-average cashier position, great opportunity to learn retail commerce, good co-workers, very few meetings, flexible scheduling. The store will honor your availability requests, though you need to provide about three weeks' advance notice for submission of availability requests. Good 10% storewide team member (TM) discount on merchandise, though there are restrictions on payment forms: you cannot obtain TM discount using bank-issued debit or credit cards, but you may use cash, personal check, Target GiftCard or Target REDcard (the latter obtains a total 14.5% discount), plus additional 20% TM Appreciation discount on fresh produce. Once you reach 1,000 hours of service, TMs are eligible for very nice 401(k) retirement plan offering a 100% match for your first 5% of contributions (the match is paid every paycheck, with immediate vesting) and fairly good very-low-expense investment choices. Target is very scrupulous about making sure that TMs do NOT perform any unpaid "off the clock" work, and that TMs are allowed to enjoy their lunches and 15-minute breaks. Target's corporate-wide prohibition on employee solicitations is refreshing, so you don't have other TMs trying to sell Girl Scout cookies or other fundraisers for their schools or projects. Basic snacks like peanut butter, jelly and bread are usually provided in the break room, along with other occasional treats. Generally cheerful and upbeat team environment, and a fair number of TMs move up the ranks into management positions if they are patient and hard-working. Ultimately, even though I've listed quite a few "cons", I am very proud to serve as a part-time Target team member.

Cons

Lack of health care benefit eligibility for part-time. Occasional cuts in available working hours for hourly team members. Periods of understaffing due to store budgetary constraints (not uncommon at other discount retailers). Some guests become annoyed and perturbed at object to being asked to sign up for REDcards every time they go through a cashier line at Target; some guests insist on using self-checkout terminals. Pressure to meet speed goals. Lack of transparency to the TM as to what speeds are "G" (great) and what are "R" (not acceptable). Annoying delays in getting repairs on malfunctioning cash registers, scanners, and payment-card readers, sometimes unrepaired for many days. Occasional shortages of needed supplies like cash-register rolls, bags and wrapping paper. Guests frustrated when there are delays obtaining help in resolving a problem/discrepancy from an authorized Team Lead. Excessive TM turnover, likely due to limited availability of health care benefits or other issues. Some management-level positions are filled by recent college grads with limited experience. Sometimes there seems to be a lot of management turnover at the store level - pressure to meet hard-to-achieve quotas and goals? Too many Target products have tiny barcodes which are very difficult to scan, my biggest pet peeve of all.

Advice to Management

Extend health-benefits eligiblity to part-time TMs after a reasonable period (i.e. three months). For Pete's sake, lay down the law with your vendors to produce all products with decent-sized easy to scan barcodes. Offer better and more frequent pay raises to existing TM to reduce turnover and improve service quality. Soften the pressure on cashiers to sign up guests for Redcards, while providing meaningful monetary incentives to TMs who enroll new Redcards (perhaps a $10 Target gift card).

"Great Team"

Former Employee - Softlines Team Member in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Softlines Team Member in Seattle, WA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional team of people! I never felt stressed or alone even during the holiday rush. Lots of positive feedback from management, so moral was very high.

Cons

Inconsistent work hours. You receive less hours than you are initially told you are going to get weekly. Everyone is a back up cashier and they don't hire enough cashiers to ever be sufficient, so you are constantly running to the register.

Advice to Management

Don't fill your employee's heads full of empty promises to get them to work for you for the holidays.

Showing 83 of 25,700 reviews