Target Reviews in Silver Spring, MD | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fast Fun Friendly"

Former Employee - Team Member in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Team Member in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Start up Job, Lots of differert positions

Cons

Rotating Shifts, cut hours after New Years

"Typical Department Store Job"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Target part-time

Pros

Marginal employee discount (5%). MyDevice iPods to locate where merchandise belongs (when they work).

Cons

Low pay for multiple responsibilities, erratic scheduling, lack of full-time positions, favoritism, shady management and HR practices. Not good unless you have a 4-year degree and can avoid working at a store location.

Advice to Management

No point, that's the company culture.

3. "A decent place to work if you need extra money"

Former Employee - Target Team Member in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Target Team Member in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is not complex at all. On busy days it flies by. I enjoy the team building exercises that Target does from time to time (contests,etc). I also enjoyed the moral booster of having catered food in the breakroom during the holidays.

Cons

The pay is way too low. $8.00 an hour is simply not a living wage. It was frustrating to have my hours cut without much notice. Also, the schedule rotated so often that I had a hard time planning out my time outside of work. It's a good place to work if you are a student in college or high school and you just need some extra cash. This is a side gig job. It simply doesn't pay enough to be your main gig.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a living wage. Even a raise of two dollars an hour would boost morale and decrease your employees' financial stress.

4. "stock/flow attendent"

Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

for good experience on customer service...

Cons

they make you feel like your working for them instead of working with them...

Advice to Management

be more of a team player when it come down to management...

5. "Cool Job"

Current Employee - ETL Target in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - ETL Target in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got paid on time, guaranteed every other weekend off, 5% discount on merchandise, etc.

Cons

Poor work life balance, brutal holiday schedule, get off late at night them open early in the morning, manage lazy high school kids, lots of politics, metric driven management process, etc.

6. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Cashier in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work as a cashier. My schedule is flexible. I got hired on the spot the day of my interview and received a four hour orientation a week or so later. Training was two weeks but I was onto the register a day or so after I began. Overall it's been a great experience. The register is relatively easy to operate. The pay is pretty good and the people are nice and willing to help. So far so good. It's a great first job.

Cons

Target is extremely compliant to its "guests." We are encouraged to help them to the extent that it sometimes puts out job at risk. Changing prices all the time, assuming that the guest is telling the truth can put you in a bad place employment wise. It's dangerous to play around with price changes and coupons and assuming. Most of the time it's nice to help, however everytime we choose to trust a guest our job is on the line. My biggest complaint would be that. Having no walkie talkie makes getting change, reporting redcards, and asking for help a lot harder if out GSA or GSTL is not conveniently right in front of us. I'd say give us some walkies and less trouble when it comes to prices by updating the system more regularly.

Advice to Management

Be around more often. It's annoying to constantly call for you all to ask for change or help. You all need to be more willing to help the cashiers who need you all the time. No one likes feeling like an annoying burden when all we are trying to do is get a job done. We would apperciate if you didn't treat us like a pain in the butt everytime we need help. Otherwise it's great being a part of a team.

7. "Flexible hours, stressful environment"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work around the hours I need, pretty good base pay, efficient pharmacy computer system

Cons

Holidays tied to other retail employees -- so you may have to work Black Friday, Christmas Eve, etc...although pharmacy usually closes earlier on holidays. Environment is stressful mainly because of pharmacy customers, but also weird goals you have to satisfy in order to meet management expectations can be stressful.

8. "Great job so far..."

Current Employee - O/N Flow Team Lead in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - O/N Flow Team Lead in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Top company, fair pay which is better than most, fast paced and engaging, room to grow

Cons

low pay increases for team members, confusing clock in/out system, strict overtime policy for team members

"Target is Not a Good Place to Work..."

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

talking whit customers and other team members ... Nothing! that's it!

Cons

not enough money, not enough hours, and managers don't care about employees.

Advice to Management

care about employees, money is really low, when you don't care about employees and cut their hours they don't care about work... change your way... it's not working...

Showing 9 of 25,707 reviews