Target Sr Business Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Enjoyed it..."

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Target was very good to its employees and it was an enjoyable place to work.
    - Opportunities across retailer were available to broaden horizons

Cons

- At the time Target was struggling with "transformation" for the sake of "transformation" and didn't have a plan.
    - Hierarchical in their decision making

2. "No place to do my work."

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst Consultant
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst Consultant

I worked at Target as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Based on my experience, I cannot find any reason for someone to take a contract assignment at Target.

Cons

On a contract IT assignment and was not given cubicle or office to call my own and do my work. I had to find an open spot each day and reprimanded for taking enclave spaces designed for Adhoc meetings and could not be scheduled.

Advice to Management

Have sufficient facilities for contract resources.

3. "Great place to work before layoffs"

Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Intelligence Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility on schedule and Work from home options. Managers are very focused on your careers so that was nice for sure.

Cons

The 'fun' can be distracting. Before the layoffs it was awesome me so I cannot think of other things that were bad.

"wonferful people, awful development"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people who work there are great, wonderful team work environment. Good work environment and execution to long term company level initiatives

Cons

What used to be a great place to grow a career is gone. The company as switched from valuing the general athlete to valuing expertise - making it almost impossible to get to an area you're passionate about if you didn't get hired specifically for that role. This is great news for some, but not what I was pitched when I was recruited, and a career only specializing in the area of my entry role is not for me.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people. I was around when the company had an engaged and inspired workforce, and the company has definitely lost its way. The investor facing strategies are rock solid - if you can engage your people and make them feel confident in what a career at Target consists of, the sky is the limit.

5. "Good company if you fit in"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young environment
    Decent pay
    Challenging, but manageable, workload

Cons

Too much change without proper direction
    High senior level turnover
    Promotion process not clearly defined

Advice to Management

Focus ona clear strategy and remain consistent in how employees are tested and promoted

"I was forced out after 17 years"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

company philanthropy with all the community giving and volunteering, good benefits for the most part, decent salaries, ease of advancement in certain areas of the company but not all, good severance packages for those let go through the layoffs

Cons

constant change and turmoil over the last 18 months, extreme cost cutting especially with the large number of team members lad off, the handling of the Canadian store expansion - too much too fast, and the terrible handling of the pullout from Canada, current leadership is expected to clean house and make numbers look good and then hit the road again leaving Target in a worse state than when they arrived as far as long term vision and mission

Advice to Management

Take care of the good people you have left. A lot of great talent and corporate/system knowledge was forced out the door over the past 18 months - be sure the remainder does not walk on their own.

7. "Target moves past a home-grown company"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Target has always been excellent at hiring and retaining high-achievers who can work with others to get the job done. Personality conflicts common at other companies (territoriality, siloing, quid-pro-quo, "tenured" dead weight, etc.) are very rare here.

Cons

Target is now jumping on the Agile development bandwagon. All-Agile is like any other fad - 100% of anything is never a prescription for success. Agile works best for fast-paced, quick to market projects like web or proof of concept. Also, Target has a distinct corporate culture due to a hire and promote from within history. Recent housecleaning from C-suite down has gutted the core of that built in knowledge and experience about what it means to be Target. Time will tell whether you can simply put the logo on someone else's shirt and get the same result.

Advice to Management

Avoid fads. Value experience.

"Uncertain Times and Lots of Change"

Former Employee - Senior Merchandise Planning Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of responsibility for new workers right out of college
    -A chance to have a real impact with your work
    -Social co-workers

Cons

-Target has reinvented the merchandise planning business analyst (BA) role 3 times in a year. All of the change meant constantly learning new systems and struggling to teach yourself how to run the .com business. It's exhausting.
    -TSS Layoffs substantially increased workload for business analyst.
    -The current Target systems for buying and allocating inventory NEED to improve should Target wish to stay competitive. As a BA, you'll do a lot of manual work because the systems are wholly inadequate. This manual work (doing manual inventory ladders, manually setting up hundreds of items, and submitting countless tickets because there's an error with a system) means that you don't get to spent time actually analyzing and improving the business.

Advice to Management

-Either improve the systems or increase headcount so that each person doesn't need to spend 40 hours a week doing manual work and then the actual job just because the systems constantly have errors.

9. "Sr Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target (More than 8 years)

Pros

Allowed to work independently
    People trust that you know what you are doing

Cons

Politics across the organization are ridiculous

10. "Going through changes"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Target (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a nice building. There are walking paths and exercise rooms. There is a, Starbucks on campus. There is a locker room, bikes that you can check out, flexible work times.

Cons

Company is in flux, lots of change. Many different directions and not a lot of consistency. The drive is long if you are not in the north metro. There has been a lot of turnover so there are lots of new people in management.