Target Reviews in Sterling, VA | Glassdoor

2.5
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1590 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1685 reviews)

1. "Many Opportunities"

Current Employee - Support in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Support in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expanding Company, Great Employees, Really care about their patients, Many of the managers really care about their employees and fostering their growth

Cons

It's an expanding company so the organizational structure along with the communication needs improvement, also vacation is on the lower side

2. "A lot of fun"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great store culture
    15 Minute breaks and lunch breaks

Cons

Not as many hours with a lot of seasonal hires

Advice to Management

Culture and people are everything, understand that

3. "Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the culture, and ability to make real impacts on your store and team

Cons

Work life balance is often skewed more towards work and taking vacation can be very difficult

"Target Review"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-pay is good
    -hours are flexible and management works with you as far as your availability

Cons

-if you applied for a position you may be put in a completely different department
    -if a request was made to change departments, they will schedule you in the new department for one day and the continue to schedule you for the department you didn't want to be in
    -closing shifts are tough, you never get out at your pre-determined clock out time, have stayed close to an hour past the time I was supposed to get off
    -did have a manager get snappy with me because I injured my hand and needed help, told me to just go home if I couldn't complete the task by myself

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, we are human, not robots and have feelings and our own issues to deal with. If an employee has requested to be scheduled in the department they originally applied for, don't lie and say okay to continue scheduling them for the department they didn't want in the first place.

5. "Starbucks and Target café employee"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. We get a 50¢ bonus from the regular minimum pay at Target.

Cons

They take away our hours and use them for other parts of the store like headlines and cashier. We also have to do the work of three people in one shift.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and don’t get upset when some things aren’t done when we don’t have the time to do them. Stop using our hours for different parts of the store so that we can make a living too.

"Target does its best to evolve and adapt with the ever-changing economic climate through innovation and experimentation."

Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The diversity stands out as a positive. It's nice to be able to mesh many different cultures and personalities into a fully functional team/operation.

Cons

Retail is retail, so you either have the stomach for it or you don't. There's no Harvard degree needed, just a solid work ethic and a desire/determination to be great on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

There are many things that management struggles with, and one of the key areas of opportunity would be managing talent. Instead of forming cliques and exhibiting favoritism, it'd be in the company's best interest to promote and mentor from within with those employees who have shown the dedication and consistency needed in order to excel. As an individual who has been with the company for 16 years, I can say that I've incorrectly been passed over for promotions for those who did half the work and/or had half the tenure. The way to limit turnover and retain your talent on a year to year basis is to make them feel valued, make them feel wanted. After sacrificing my time, health, and well-being for a company that didn't provide me with a raise or increase for 7 years, I'm understandably flummoxed with how to proceed with this corporation in the future. I believe Target corporation is a decent company to work with, but the key is finding the right store, the right location, so that no one has to endure what I've had to for the last several years in terms of a lack of advancement opportunities-despite being one of the best team leaders in my particular district.

7. "Target review"

Current Employee - Starbucks FSA in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Starbucks FSA in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

management is flexible with team members' availability

Cons

new employees earn more than team members who have worked in the company for 4+ years

Advice to Management

adjust salaries for existing team members

8. "Softlines Salesfloor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are none that I can think of

Cons

low pay, awful schedule and terrible managers

9. "N/A"

Former Employee - Cart Attendant in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Cart Attendant in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and Benefits

Flexible Hours

30 minute breaks

Cons

I have had problems with 50% of the people there. There are coworkers who would try to start something with you for no reason. There are coworkers who try to sabotage you. There are coworkers who won't allow you to do your job in peace. There are coworkers who have no common sense. There are coworkers who don't use logic. There are coworkers who are overly sensitive and cannot take constructive criticism, even if you politely point things out. They will make false accusations and pass judgment on you even if you try to defend yourself and label you the "bad guy". There are coworkers who think they are entitled to everything. There are coworkers who constantly bud into your personal space and business. There are coworkers who don't respect your religious or political beliefs. Most of the STLs and ETLs do not treat everyone fairly. If who want to work in peace, and not have any problems with management or other coworkers then I suggest you don't work at this location. You will not enjoy working here. Also, another reason you should not work here is that they allow MEN to be in the WOMENs restroom. Not only is that against my religion, but is illegal and they are trying to force everyone to accept it. Women and children are going to be harmed because of that policy.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Good retail experience"

Current Employee - Flexible Fulfillment in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Flexible Fulfillment in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are generally very friendly (including management). Just make sure you don't get on the bad side of management (STL/ETL) as they control your hours. Target is one of the largest and most advanced retail companies in the world meaning you learn a lot in your position and work with pretty advanced tech for retail. Pay is decent comparatively with base pay starting at $10 at the time of writing this. Opportunity for cross training is always there and they hire within for TL positions which pay like $15 an hour and get a stable 35-40 hours a week.

Cons

Often need to work holiday's which can get annoying. Given how large the store generally is communication isn't always easy. Many co-workers are lazy and will get paid about the same as you since Target does annual raises. Management doesn't always have clear expectations.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when it comes to deadlines and listen to your employees. Also don't reward lazy employees the same as you do hard working ones.

Showing 15 of 29,687 reviews