Target Reviews in Sterling, VA | Glassdoor

1.6
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult (in 1537 reviews)

• Hours were inconsistent for most team members (in 1644 reviews)

1. "Many Opportunities"

Current Employee - Support in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Support in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expanding Company, Great Employees, Really care about their patients, Many of the managers really care about their employees and fostering their growth

Cons

It's an expanding company so the organizational structure along with the communication needs improvement, also vacation is on the lower side

"Target does its best to evolve and adapt with the ever-changing economic climate through innovation and experimentation."

Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The diversity stands out as a positive. It's nice to be able to mesh many different cultures and personalities into a fully functional team/operation.

Cons

Retail is retail, so you either have the stomach for it or you don't. There's no Harvard degree needed, just a solid work ethic and a desire/determination to be great on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

There are many things that management struggles with, and one of the key areas of opportunity would be managing talent. Instead of forming cliques and exhibiting favoritism, it'd be in the company's best interest to promote and mentor from within with those employees who have shown the dedication and consistency needed in order to excel. As an individual who has been with the company for 16 years, I can say that I've incorrectly been passed over for promotions for those who did half the work and/or had half the tenure. The way to limit turnover and retain your talent on a year to year basis is to make them feel valued, make them feel wanted. After sacrificing my time, health, and well-being for a company that didn't provide me with a raise or increase for 7 years, I'm understandably flummoxed with how to proceed with this corporation in the future. I believe Target corporation is a decent company to work with, but the key is finding the right store, the right location, so that no one has to endure what I've had to for the last several years in terms of a lack of advancement opportunities-despite being one of the best team leaders in my particular district.

3. "Target review"

Current Employee - Starbucks FSA in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Starbucks FSA in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

management is flexible with team members' availability

Cons

new employees earn more than team members who have worked in the company for 4+ years

Advice to Management

adjust salaries for existing team members

4. "Softlines Salesfloor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are none that I can think of

Cons

low pay, awful schedule and terrible managers

5. "N/A"

Former Employee - Cart Attendant in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Cart Attendant in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and Benefits

Flexible Hours

30 minute breaks

Cons

I have had problems with 50% of the people there. There are coworkers who would try to start something with you for no reason. There are coworkers who try to sabotage you. There are coworkers who won't allow you to do your job in peace. There are coworkers who have no common sense. There are coworkers who don't use logic. There are coworkers who are overly sensitive and cannot take constructive criticism, even if you politely point things out. They will make false accusations and pass judgment on you even if you try to defend yourself and label you the "bad guy". There are coworkers who think they are entitled to everything. There are coworkers who constantly bud into your personal space and business. There are coworkers who don't respect your religious or political beliefs. Most of the STLs and ETLs do not treat everyone fairly. If who want to work in peace, and not have any problems with management or other coworkers then I suggest you don't work at this location. You will not enjoy working here. Also, another reason you should not work here is that they allow MEN to be in the WOMENs restroom. Not only is that against my religion, but is illegal and they are trying to force everyone to accept it. Women and children are going to be harmed because of that policy.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Good retail experience"

Current Employee - Flexible Fulfillment in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Flexible Fulfillment in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are generally very friendly (including management). Just make sure you don't get on the bad side of management (STL/ETL) as they control your hours. Target is one of the largest and most advanced retail companies in the world meaning you learn a lot in your position and work with pretty advanced tech for retail. Pay is decent comparatively with base pay starting at $10 at the time of writing this. Opportunity for cross training is always there and they hire within for TL positions which pay like $15 an hour and get a stable 35-40 hours a week.

Cons

Often need to work holiday's which can get annoying. Given how large the store generally is communication isn't always easy. Many co-workers are lazy and will get paid about the same as you since Target does annual raises. Management doesn't always have clear expectations.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when it comes to deadlines and listen to your employees. Also don't reward lazy employees the same as you do hard working ones.

7. "Executive Management Intern"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader - GE/Softlines in Sterling, VA

Pros

Great development program. For the ten week duration, we were able to see all aspects of store operations and even the supply chain distribution center. Even if you have no retail experience prior to the internship, they are very accommodating and offer so many resources to get you well acquainted with retail management.

Cons

If you are unfortunate to be placed in a store with a management team who aren't very excited about having interns, you'll be doing a lot of "busy" work instead of sticking to the training modules and development program. If you try to complain, you risk being known as the "lazy intern" or someone who needs to be spoon fed to get a job done.

Advice to Management

If you don't want to invest in your interns, you might not be in the best fit role to be a mentor or store team leader. It's unfortunate to see how apathetic management can be at stores when they don't have upper management to impress.

"Nice place to shop, not work!"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on the location, the pay scale is pretty good for Team Leaders.

Cons

The Team Leads get very little support from upper management.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive to your team members and this will directly reflect the customer service provided by your team.

"Up and down, depended on the STL"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Sterling, VA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are fun, good pay, good benefits

Cons

What is a work life balance?

10. "Difficult, but worth it"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with.
    Professional, yet kind management.
    Lots of opportunities to work.
    Great compensation for working over-time.

Cons

Customers can be very demanding.
    Lots of hard work and not very high pay.
    Takes a very long time to get promoted.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the specifically timed lunch break.

Showing 11 of 27,886 reviews