Target Reviews in Suwanee, GA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Seasonal job"

Current Employee - Shipment From Store in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Shipment From Store in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- It's $11/hr, and I heard it's going up. They give you a lot of hours based on your availability (and if you're a minor).
    - Picking out items is ok (softlines/clothes were hard), but packing is easy.
    - Might be different from store to store, but we were allowed to blast music in the back and were allowed earphones.
    - You can stack discounts. 10% discount on virtually everything, if you pay in cash or gift card. Additional 5% off if you pay in RedCard. And 20% off C9 Champions clothing/shoes and Simply Balanced food. Plus any additional promotions.

Cons

- Not sure why, but there was a difference between my coworkers' wage and mine. I got paid $11/hr while others who did the exact same thing got $11.50/hr. I mean, sure, it's still $11, but $0.50 would've made a difference since I worked at least 35 hrs a week.
    - Very short training. It's easy when you figure it out but I was so lost in the beginning.
    - The management don't tell shipment from store employees that they're being let go (might be just my Target). I happened to not have a schedule for the week of Christmas (which is next week). I just thought they forgot. I talked to several people, and they also don't have a schedule. I heard conflicting things from "we're being let go" and "they just forgot to schedule us and letting us go in mid-January."
    - When we're out of stuff to do, the management has us do work in other departments that we were not trained for instead of telling us to go home. We're technically supposed to be in the back, but nope. They had us in the floor.

Advice to Management

Wish it would be nice to know when we're let go

2. "Good place to start in retail"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

Competitive hourly pay for entry-level retail, good employment opportunities during the holidays, paid rest breaks, fast-paced, get to help guests have a pleasant shopping experience.

Cons

A bit cliquish, not much room for advancement, poor training (at least during holiday season). If you're seasonal there could be a bit of bait and switch on your actual job duties, as the store needs it, so be aware and be flexible. It also helps to know the general layout of the store you're applying to so as to best help guests (but you can always call for help on the walkie).

Advice to Management

Set clear expectations for seasonal workers

3. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Baker in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Baker in Suwanee, GA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, 30 minute unpaid lunch break, and some paid 10 min breaks depending on your hourly schedule. Only paid overtime on holidays (time and a half)

Cons

Heavy lifting and deeply uncaring management are the 2 main cons. The ETL members consider themselves so above all the other team members in the store that most will never acknowledge your presence--unless there is a mistake, of course! Oh, and it won't matter that you're the baker! They're so understaffed that you will be made to do everything in the deli too (cut meat and cheese, fry foods, make and package everything, and clean).

Advice to Management

Try to care! At least introduce yourself to new team members! I mean really! How stuck up can you all be?! Treat your employees like people! Also, when HR breaks confidentiality, they should lose their jobs! Otherwise what is the point of claiming confidentiality and a "no harassment policy"?

"Ehh ran by a bunch of high schoolers"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Suwanee, GA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

umm starts off higher then fast food, 3 week schedules, the coupon policy is amazing on top of red cards, sales, and cartwheel (avid couponer though)

Cons

employee discount is only 10% & you MUST use a REDCARD! The hours can go from 36+ to 17 in a weeks span. The management plays favoritism & form cliques. So if they like you then you will get easy tasks. Get on there bad side & they give you tedious busy work. They will give you 3 days but call you to come in on days off.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like the popular kids in HS...you will continue to loose team members by being childish.

"It was okay working here. They treat their employees decently, but sometimes they want too much like selling of red card"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Suwanee, GA

Pros

It was terrible. They often made you work till late only to have you come in early the next day.

Cons

selling red cards, getting told to put up returns like a million times, I worked at a store where electronics and toys were together so i had to take care of electronics, toys, home improvement and sporting goods and automotive.

Advice to Management

stop getting on every single little thing. If you see someone checking his phone for a sec let it go;

"Good entry level job to work through high school and college only!"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team member discount. Get to interact with guests (customers). Benefits

Cons

Employees are treated like a number. They don't care if you stay or quit, they would rather you quit, so they could hire another warm body to replace you. Leadership is the worst I've ever worked for. They do not listen. They expect a lot for little pay. I'm there for the benefits.

Advice to Management

Come up with a better scheduling system. Not enough team members working at peak hours. Hire managers with people skills.

7. "It was okay.. Gained some experience."

Current Employee - Target Seasonal Cashier in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Target Seasonal Cashier in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned how to handle a high volume of people in a retail environment.

Cons

If your seasonal, they don't really care about you. And they are harder on you.

Advice to Management

USE NEW TECHNOLOGY!!! HR uses PCs the same age as dinosaurs.

"Not Fun and Friendly"

Current Employee - Front End in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Front End in Suwanee, GA

Pros

Great benefits, once you accrue your vacation time it is very pleasant. Most of the team members are very pleasant to work with.

Cons

Most medical benefits will be gone by the end of 2012. The average guest is horribly mean and get away with treating team members like junk. Any time off or vacation requests are denied. ETL's do not acknowledge you unless they want something. Hours are being cut drastically, the average team member works about 20 hours a week now, when we averaged about 32 to 35 hours. ETL's do not want to take responsibility or accountability for their actions and will not back an employee up who follows company policy. ETL's have been known to talk bad about team members and not get reprimanded. ETL's will either sit in Starbucks or the break room for hours on end and ignore any help the store may need. You are lucky if you get any of your required breaks. ETL's do not work or pull their own weight with pulls, zoning, etc, they expect only team members to do it. Favoritism is noticeable at this store, allowing a select few to have every weekend off, even when they have open availability. The average ETL has never had any management experience or even another job before this position, they are directly out of college. Most of the ETL's will ask for help from team members because of their knowledge but will write a bad review on that specific employee. Moving up within the company, even if you've been with the company for 10 years is ignored if you don't have a Bachelors' degree when in their interviews this is there selling point; opportunity to move up with experience.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, making an employee happy makes for happy guests.

Showing 8 of 28,961 reviews