Target Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 8 reviews

5.0
Brian Cornell
Pros
Cons
  • "Not enough home/work life balance(in 1637 reviews)

• "The pay is fair until you have to carry the load of other work-shy team members(in 1737 reviews)

Fantastic culture and work-life balance

I worked at Target full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Target is very relationship oriented and invests a lot of resources in team member development. They have always been flexible with work-life balance and attentive to their employee needs. Great corporate culture with very positive vibe!

Cons

Transition to first level management is difficult and has many hurtles one has to go through to get there. Promotions are based on connections and relationships rather than actual work results.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on team member development and pushing individuals outside the comfort zone in order to grow. Overall, a fantastic place to work and great leadership.

2. Great culture, but lacking effective management

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Brooklyn Park, MN

I worked at Target for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, everyone likes to roll up their sleeves and get the job done in the most efficient and best way possible. Lots of opportunity to grow professionally, lots of great new tools to use, and very social atmosphere.

Cons

I was brought onto a project in the TTS division for a short while, which was to be for at least a year. Leadership was completely absent from my direct manager. Expectations were vague and not clearly defined, Project managers had a better sense of the big picture. After a few months, I was told my contract would end and that they were hiring someone internally for my position. To me, this was very unprofessional...

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to project expectations, be a leader and help those that are new to understand what EXACTLY is expected. Time management is lacking significantly as well.

3. Good one

I worked at Target full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Very good atmosphere, lot of scope to develop

Cons

Nothing specific. Overall I am very happy

Advice to Management

Continue your way

4. Great out of the gate, but they gave up on my team.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Autonomy. Ability to move into other roles with little experience.

Cons

Too big for them to actually care about employees.

5. Good place to work

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target

Pros

I have enjoyed the collaborative environment. Most employees are motivated, happy and a pleasure to work with on a daily basis.

Cons

Like any big company, there is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape. The company is slow to act on new ideas/technologies.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the compliance, restrictions, red tape,etc. These barriers just impede innovative thinking and solutions that would benefit the company.

Layoff -Target employee review.

I worked at Target

Pros

Good training program to start career. It is a big company with systems to get things moving.

Cons

A lot of meetings with contactors & offshore resources. Target relies a lot of development and supporting work from TCS and offshore resources. Employees in US are being laid off mainly for this reason. Long hours, and employees just another headcount.

Advice to Management

Please care about your employees, they are not just headcount on your financial spreadsheet.

Target

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chennai

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Place, Flexibility, less work, more automation.

Cons

Legacy operation/ old system, Politics inside consultancy, utter waste to keep nearshore team in Uruguay they literally waste Target money

Advice to Management

Move to new architecture asap and make the implementation faster!!!!

The hidden views of Target

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in

I worked at Target full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Started as a family oriented company who's main concern was their teammates at all levels. Stock prices reflected hard working proud teammates. (look at stock trends)

Cons

Became a company based on pure profits and growth. Sounds good but how you do it is important!! It became the priority versus teammates. That's where failure will occur. Behind closed door meetings "targeting" employees at all levels based on factors not associated with their performance but on "fit", salary levels, blending with the "good old boy" group or groups, and most disturbing age!

Advice to Management

Get back to what Bob Ulrich drove. A true performance based company that focuses on teammates and their families! Look at any newer distribution centers priority list and you will not find "team" or "safety" on the top of the list anymore. This is sad since Target was born and rose as a great company and now will fall because of the direction that someone, possibly Gregg Steinhafel has set. "Work life balance" is no longer...

Found 8 reviews