Target Team Member Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Workplace"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Hickory, NC

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are all very nice, and it's a very clean, safe, and upstanding place to work.

Cons

Sometimes I'd have really long days staying after I was scheduled because we'd have to finish stocking everything, but many people would leave at their scheduled time.

"Electronics"

Current Employee - Target Electronics Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Target Electronics Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and Team Leaders, Fast paced environment, Flexible hours.

Cons

During slow times of the year (Non-holiday times) hours can be cut. Short amount of time, especially during night shifts, to get everything done with an overwhelming amount to finish.

3. "Good Retail Company"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Lionville, PA
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Lionville, PA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good operation and organization.

Cons

Retail schedule - working on most weekends.

Advice to Management

Ensure employees have all the necessary equipment to do their jobs efficiently.

4. "good workplace"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Westminster, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Westminster, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teammembers, vibe, easy work, and room to advance

Cons

Sometimes it does get crazy during the holidays

5. "Target"

Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member
    Former Employee - Food Ave Team Member

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good with schedule
    Pay is good for college student

Cons

Doesn’t hire enough people for job

Advice to Management

Hire more people

6. "Great Part-time work"

Current Employee - Salesfloor Team Member in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Salesfloor Team Member in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

Target is great for diversity and equal opportunity. Perfect for a part-time [25hrs-ish] gig. Only certain positions are close to full-time. But they pay really well, plenty over minimum wage where I live. Lots of options for jobs within each store. Pretty good chance of upward mobility if you are they a while and are open to fill in where needed.

Cons

Sometimes hours aren’t great [fluctuate seasonally at least at the store I’m at in a tourist town], but people are always giving up shifts... so if you have a mostly open availability you are able to increase your hours by picking them up.

Advice to Management

Should encourage crosstraining for team members more... they don’t seem thrilled on giving up payroll hours to train already existing employees to work in other centers in the store [which I understand they are limited by corporate, but still don’t agree with]. Also, Team Leaders need to come to agreement on how tasks should be completed and stick to that method so there isn’t conflicting info depending on who is the LOD that day; I’ve had three different team leaders tell me three different, conflicting ways of doing one task. Love all my TL’s but can’t make them all happy if they all want it done a different way.

7. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work
    Friendly coworkers and management
    Very good starting wage
    Employee discount

Cons

Schedules and hours fluctuate greatly for part-time employees

"It's alright"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member: Hardlines/Cashier/Electronics in Compton, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, hours, pay, food, discounts

Cons

Stress, management, work load, expectations, communication

Advice to Management

Get off my nuts

9. "Great part time job"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member

I worked at Target (More than a year)

Pros

I loved being able to go in for early morning shifts and end my work day around noon. The discount was great.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement.

10. "Too Many Cuts"

Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Electronics Team Member in Davie, FL

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was fortunate to work under two good and friendly managers but not everyone was so lucky. There were 2-3 extremely awful managers in different departments that consistently caused problems for everyone working there. At this place I had experienced both the best manager I've ever had and the worst.

Cons

Understaffed - For the whole time I worked there they consistently made cuts to the point where there was a ridiculously low amount of people working at a time. Even during holidays we had a fraction of the people that we needed and you end up having way too much responsibility put on yourself.

Corporate - Almost all of the direction we would get from corporate would hurt the store. They wanted us to focus on things that really don't improve the guest experience and in fact even hurts it because it makes items a lot harder to find for people. They actually tell employees to put items in the wrong spot. They want their store to look "full" but all it does is cause miscounts and the wrong price always ends up being shown, both of which cause a lot of frustration for shoppers. The other time waster that we get told to do is we constantly have to move items on endcaps around. I understand that sometimes we would have to because that's what brands are paying for, but sometimes I'm literally taking down two endcaps that are right next to each other and swapping them. Depending on how many items are there and how busy the store is, this process can take hours. Most of the time it's just a waste of time and doesn't actually offer the brand any competitive advantage. This all keeps employees in the morning from doing actual work which then ends up all being dumped on the people that work at night.

Inaccurate stock - Item counts in the store were consistently inaccurate. It would constantly say there were 2 or 3 items when there were no items to be found. But that's ok, it's difficult to be accurate because something could always be misplaced by a shopper or even stolen which causes inaccuracy. What's not ok is when there are items that say there are 10+ in the store for months and have never been found. There were items that we supposedly sold there that I had never actually seen, I only saw the spot where they were supposed to go. Also the fact that corporate tells us to put things in incorrect places is another thing that can cause miscounts. Also, if our system said there were a couple of an item in the store, the website will tell people that we have it in stock. That causes people to come in to the store demanding it and get really frustrated when we don't have it.

Advice to Management

If I was to say one thing I would say for corporate to stop giving so much direction on what should be going on in the store when they're never even working in that environment. Take suggestions from the people that actually work in the store, they know what could be changed for the better. Most of the direction that comes from corporate hurts the store and the guest experience. Also, have more people working, at least for the holidays.