Target Reviews in The Woodlands, TX | Glassdoor

2.5
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult (in 1537 reviews)

• Hours were inconsistent for most team members (in 1644 reviews)

1. "good culture and exceptional customer service training"

Current Employee - Cashier in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy and fast training, nice working environment, great co workers and management

Cons

hard to get more hours, unless theres a holiday coming

2. "Good first job"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

flexible scheduling, friendly coworkers, team oriented

Cons

cut hours after holidays, must work holidays

"Good job but the people are the problem."

Current Employee - Electronics Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Electronics Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The attitude towards taking care of the customers is great. They really want to make everyone's experience excellent. The benefits are really good. There are quite a few people that came here specifically for the benefits.

Cons

In Terms of performing daily tasks the constant back up to the check lanes is ridiculous. Scheduling one cashier and expecting golden results is the definition of crazy. The leaders seem to have obsessions over things that quite frankly have very little to do with keeping up the store and making sure the brand is maintained. Spending all day going on and on about how many credit cards people signed up for isn't going to find items or help ring up purchases. The lack of promotion from within is nonsense as well. I think that hiring someone that has no experience with Target or retail just because they have a degree in something is a good way to ruin the business. When people like that come in without a clue how things work the entire system bogs down and production suffers. I have to reiterate some points others have made about rolling out new processes and technology. It seems that target has issues with thinking things through and properly developing new processes before they send them out to stores. When we got our new pda devices last year they couldn't even do half of what the old ones could and besides that every other day they wouldn't work at all.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Give people who know what's going on a chance to keep the places running like they should. Hire leaders that can do what needs to be done. When someone doesn't show up for a scheduled shift three times in one week termination should be the consequence. I think there is far too much slack being given to people who show no interest in working. I think that when a person underperforms it should be addressed quickly, not weeks later when no-one can recall the circumstances in which it occurred. There needs to be quite a bit more accountability. When I started with the company in 2007, if I didn't get a task done I got called into the ETL's office and had to explain why. Over the last few years that has vanished entirely. Now when someone doesn't do something the only time they hear about it is during their review, ONCE A YEAR. I don't understand how a business can be operated like that. If your employees don't show up, the work doesn't get done. It's that simple.

4. "It's great"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Target part-time

Pros

So-so pay, issues vary greatly by store

Cons

With the new policy change you are there to please people most of the time

5. "Great for summer job just takes forever to grow in positions"

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexbile at times. Employer of mostly college students and older people. Cashiers always seem to be nice and cheerful.Great places to shop

Cons

Managers have no understanding at times. Hours are ridiculous during the holidays. Ads are misleading and causes confusion.Not a good place to have a career unless you're upper management.

"Management is a joke."

Current Employee - Cashier in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Management can be very nice and they generally take your side when you get a complaint.
    You usually have the opportunity to switch jobs within the store, such as going from a cashier to salesfloor to food ave, softlines, Guest services, ect..
    Other team members are very nice and very fun to work with.
    Clean break room.

Cons

Management doesn't recognize you when you yourself do something deserving recognition. Instead they just fill the lounge with junk food which isn't everybodies idea of a 'job well done'.
    Management often times act like being an LOD is some secret group and their too good to talk to other team members. Other times certain LOD's are just out rude/disrespectful.
    The best thing I ever heard was an LOD telling another LOD (But not the cashiers) that "The cashiers did a great job today." It would've been more fulfilling if the LOD had told us instead of another LOD.
    You can't have a drink at your register.
    They skip breaks if you don't keep on them about it.
    They'll schedule you 5.75 hours and have you practically running to the time clock so they won't have to give you a lunch.
    You are required to sell a certain amount of redcards each month and If you don't sell that many, you can be fired for not doing your job; even though management agrees that it's a 'luck' thing.
    The only clean bathrooms in the whole store are in the backroom, the employee bathroom's.

They're constantly hiring new people to avoid paying any employee for overtime, why hire new people who don't know the job instead of just paying overtime to an experienced employee who can do the job better/faster?

Advice to Management

Recognize us individually, not as a whole. You feel more like you've been acknowledged for doing a good job when you yourself are praised.
    Understand that most of us have stressful lives outside of work, most of us are in college or have kids. Try to work with us, if we call out we're not doing it to put you in a bind, we're not doing it because we're lazy, it's a last option because something happened that absolutely cannot avoid.
    Don't ever tell a team member that work comes before school, we don't plan on working here as a career, and would you tell your kids something so ridiculous? Sorry but I paid close to $900 out of pocket for these classes, school comes first.

Don't forget that employee's are people too, treat us like people. We make mistakes, most of us are trying really hard to keep our jobs, if we make a mistake it's not a big deal. All that means is that we'll do better next time.

"Reluctant to give grunts the benefit of the doubt."

Former Employee - Electronics Department Associate in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Electronics Department Associate in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Straight-forward job.
    "Team Leaders" are "programmed" to always make you aware of day-to-day changes.
    Pretty strong culture for a retail job.

Cons

- As a college student home for the summer, I worked at Target as a last resort. I was working way below my potential and was among few part-time employees that did more than skirt the bare minimum of required effort. However, nobody really seemed to appreciate my hustle and bustle. I'm sure part-time retail employment has super-high turnover, and I'm sure management waits to give respect until it's deserved, but that's all the more reason to cater to employees, even summer part-timers.

- Management treated me like I was always up to no good. If it looked like I wan't doing my job, even after putting a month of solid, respectable work in and working extra to cover for underwhelming employees, then management assumed I wasn't. They cultivated an atmosphere that stagnates ambition and zeal.

- Lack of appreciation or acknowledgement of effort. In fact, working hard and finishing early just meant you could be placed in another department (while still working yours) to do the work of a coworker who has a history of not caring about work. If you finish early too often, then it becomes expected of you.

Advice to Management

Treating lowly part-timers like they're always up to no good will not bring out the best in people. Now that I'm about the graduate university, Target heavily recruits my business school and I hear good things about corporate Target. But my summer experience really marred my opinion of the company.

Showing 7 of 27,812 reviews