Target Reviews in Ventura, CA | Glassdoor

3.8
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is hard to maintain (in 1386 reviews)

• Hours tend to fluctuate for regular team members (in 1477 reviews)

1. "Executive Team Leader for Guest Experince"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader-Guest Experience in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader-Guest Experience in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment, can quickly advance with hard work and great performance, give college graduates a chance to proof they can lead, and awesome leadership through the company

Cons

Long hours 10-12 hours shifts are mandatory, work nights, weekends, and holiday besides Christmas and Easter. Cannot transfer districts at anytime, need to advance in first given role.

Advice to Management

Room to transfer when needed and lessen mandatory hours

"Price Accuracy"

Former Employee - Price Accuracy in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Price Accuracy in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very independent work day to day
    Organize and create a better shopping experience for guests

Cons

Management is very political. If you don't sweet talk your managers or become best friends you won't advance in the company no matter how great your work performance is.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your team memembers

3. "Good pay and benefits, at the expense of your work/life balance"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Great culture
    -Good benefits
    -Personal growth

Cons

-Working long hours
    -High expectations
    -Hard to have a good work/life balance
    -Work weekends/Holidays

4. "Seemingly good position at time of hiring, not the case"

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, full benefits, 401k, easy red and khaki wardrobe requirement, 10% discount on merchandise, nice team members at lower levels of organizational chart

Cons

Tough hours (50-60 hours a week, inconsistent start/end times i.e. Off at 1AM, back by 8 AM next day, weekend shifts every other week), poor store team leader management

Advice to Management

Be careful who is hired as store team leaders. I know of other ETLs in my same position that had drastically different experience based mostly on who their STL was. Also, work with stores to allow them to increase coverage at store during busy times. Store had consistent new traffic but executives had hands tied in terms of adding more hours due to payroll constraints.

5. "Seasonal"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Ventura, CA

Pros

The discount is only 10% but if you have a red card and have the cart wheel app then its not a bad deal. Co-workers were also pretty chill.

Cons

There are a lot of customers that are just plain slobs. I was also hired as seasonal but I told them I wanted to be permanent; they lead me on with telling me that they will most likely keep me after the season if I proved my self. I did more than prove myself. I do not recommend working for Target as seasonal employee if you are trying to stay there.

Advice to Management

When there is a manager that has difficulty getting along with employees then maybe retail is not the best place for that particular manger. Managers should not disrespect their employees.

6. "It's a Love/Hate Relationship"

Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Team Member/Salesfloor/Instocks in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has an awesome set of values, and great culture. In my store in particular, it's become known as a "family store" because we've all essentially grown up together, some have started families, and we bring in those into the fold who are new to our store. Management is also great because they are very hands on and lead by example. The company promotes a strong relationship between the you and the guest, you and other Team Members.

Cons

Some challenges are the pay for part time workers, being that sometimes the work required doesn't seem to match the pay given. Another also is partnering with others stores, in at not all stores share the same culture, so while one store would be more than helpful, another would do so grudgingly. A more unilateral store culture would greatly benefit Guest Experiences across the board.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Very decent company to work for who treat their employees fairer than most I've worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, plenty of opportunities to grow in the company if you apply yourself, they work hard to make it a fun place to work and give plenty of recognition.

Cons

Expectations can sometimes be too high for the pay earned, huge hour cuts beginning of the year every year but if you can stick it out it's better than most retail places to work at.

8. "Good...for retail"

Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Target Protection Specialist in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love being in Assets Protection. Ruining a shoplifter's day is so much fun, and you've got to be on the ball. It can be demanding, but I find that to be rewarding. Target is pretty flexible and a good first job.

Cons

Pay is low, raises are laughable and capped at 6% at the very top end (manual says 0-3% of store employees will receive this).

Advice to Management

Every year is more work, less incentive. Even Wal-Mart pays better than Target. Come on.

9. "I like working at Target. Advancement is not great but I play the role of team lead. I enjoy my time off as well."

Current Employee - Flow Team in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Flow Team in Ventura, CA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the hours. The benefits and saving are good.

Cons

Advancement is not good. Training could use a lot of improvement.

Advice to Management

Train employee better. Advance better. Have people in a position for a limited time them promote or replace.

"Good second job, definitely not a career place. Thankfully it was my second job for spending cash."

Former Employee - Guest Service Trainer in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Trainer in Ventura, CA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice managers, coworkers and HR staff. Super easy job. If youre a good worker than they'll work you a lot.

Cons

Pay is awful, even for managers with degrees its laughable. A lot of people you deal with (customers and coworkers alike) are very unintelligent. Hours aren't desirable (as with any retail job).

Advice to Management

I would just suggest to bridge the gap a little more with pay of store managers and regular team members. So many of my coworkers had families to feed and couldn't because the pay was so awful. I also dont think it necessary to need a degree to move up into management.

Showing 13 of 23,909 reviews