Target Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.1
Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Production team leader"

Current Employee - Production in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Production in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping others with projects

Cons

It can get a little busy but it's well worth it.

2. "Guest Service Desk"

Former Employee - Guest Services in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The chance for advancement and the friendly atmosphere made it a joy to come to work. When I had to leave the Leesburg, Va branch, Target was very understanding and helpful.

Cons

There wasn’t a downside for me.

Advice to Management

I was last employed with Target in 2011. I know the store and would like to return to assist in its continuous growth. Please, consider re-hiring me.

3. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees, good working environment

Cons

Standing for awhile, red card 'quotas'

4. "cashier"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

not tooo much room for growth and moving up

Advice to Management

keeo track of scheduling

5. "Bad Management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly (for the most part) coworkers

Cons

Almost everyone (including management) only seem to care about themselves. Don't have the resources to complete your task properly? Your supervisor doesn't care as long as they don't look bad in front of their boss.

Over 3 years of faithful, dedicated work, I was given a real bonus of only about 7 cents. They started me off at $8.25, which then got bumped up to 10.25 the following year. This was not an actual raise, but it was done because Maryland's minimum wage was raised, and management told me that they want to stay above the minimum wage.

Advice to Management

The ladder needs to stop rewarding selfish behaviors, as it shows in the management on the retail floor.

6. "Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Guest Experience in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the culture, and ability to make real impacts on your store and team

Cons

Work life balance is often skewed more towards work and taking vacation can be very difficult

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenbelt, MD

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. always something new.

Cons

New employees don't get proper training.

Advice to Management

don't leave new worker on their own to soon. Store is too big for new employees to learn

"Target Review"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-pay is good
    -hours are flexible and management works with you as far as your availability

Cons

-if you applied for a position you may be put in a completely different department
    -if a request was made to change departments, they will schedule you in the new department for one day and the continue to schedule you for the department you didn't want to be in
    -closing shifts are tough, you never get out at your pre-determined clock out time, have stayed close to an hour past the time I was supposed to get off
    -did have a manager get snappy with me because I injured my hand and needed help, told me to just go home if I couldn't complete the task by myself

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, we are human, not robots and have feelings and our own issues to deal with. If an employee has requested to be scheduled in the department they originally applied for, don't lie and say okay to continue scheduling them for the department they didn't want in the first place.

9. "Starbucks and Target café employee"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. We get a 50¢ bonus from the regular minimum pay at Target.

Cons

They take away our hours and use them for other parts of the store like headlines and cashier. We also have to do the work of three people in one shift.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and don’t get upset when some things aren’t done when we don’t have the time to do them. Stop using our hours for different parts of the store so that we can make a living too.

10. "Selfish, Racist, and Not Caring Management, Decreases Your Hours after a While, Lots of Hard Work, NO "teamwork""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The guests are understanding. That's it. Nothing else is good about Target. If I could give them a "zero" star, ie no star, I would....but I couldn't. Glassdoor should include that please. At least Target are paying better now to the new hires.

Cons

I would not recommend. I think WalMart, Costco, and other retail stores are better to work for then Target.

Oh, if the management doesn't like you, you are not their favorites, they will falsely write you up, or fine pick at you, or say bad things about you or give you a bad rating when it comes time for the review.

They will also slowly decrease your hours too. When you first start working, you could be getting 35-40 hours. After several months, it will go down, then if you stay long enough (ie 2-5 years or 15 years) they will move you to part time and give your hours to the new hires and give you only 3-4 hours a shift, 2-3 days a week...yay.

Management doesn't care about your situation (if you have any). They are also selfish because of that, they only care about their bonus. If you are a minority race in the store, they will gang up on you and look down at you. The management plays favorite too. Their favorites can get away with doing something they are not suppose too, but if you do the same thing, you get written up. If you are sexually harassed, they will ask you what you want done. The pay increase is also based on favorites too, not on work ethics or how much you've done or how well you've done. If you work cashier, they will make you push the red cards, either debit or credit cards. It's like you're in sales, there's a quota the store should meet. If you work on the floor, you're expected to work cashier too, be a jack of all trades. They work you hard. The "teamwork" is, you work individually, by yourself, with no useless talking expect to their "guest". But even then, if you take too long helping a "guest" you get a talk or you're look down on by management. They only staff the bare minimum people actually "working" (and not just standing around, chatting like management and their favorites) so if someone calls out, they are short by alot and everyone else "working" needs to put more in their weight. Everything that you want to do, vacation, paid time off, schedule changes, it's all through the computer. If you want to talk with someone about it, good luck. AND, even if you do put the request in the system, it can be auto denied for no reason at all and management may not even look at it. It's almost like a electronic call system, no human, in the store that you're working at, which is sad and funny that's it's like that.

Advice to Management

Be human beings and put yourself into the shoes of others and see for yourself what your practice is really doing. If you're going to have a high turnover rate, then you're going to lose money. Be diverse. Especially at the store level. I'm sure it's so much better at HQ, but it's not like that at store level that is not management....
    the employees should be able to rate the management for their (the managers) bonus too, not just look at the overall store's profit and performance.

Showing 374 of 28,940 reviews