Target Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC

Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1576 reviews)

• "Not a great for more team members further along in their career" (in 1680 reviews)

1. "Direct care professional"

Current Employee - District of Columbia in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - District of Columbia in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

14 days paid vacation leave, friendly co workers and manager

Cons

Don't get vacation in December

Advice to Management

Excellent company to work for

2. "Selfish, Racist, and Not Caring Management, Decreases Your Hours after a While, Lots of Hard Work, NO "teamwork""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The guests are understanding. That's it. Nothing else is good about Target. If I could give them a "zero" star, ie no star, I would....but I couldn't. Glassdoor should include that please. At least Target are paying better now to the new hires.

Cons

I would not recommend. I think WalMart, Costco, and other retail stores are better to work for then Target.

Oh, if the management doesn't like you, you are not their favorites, they will falsely write you up, or fine pick at you, or say bad things about you or give you a bad rating when it comes time for the review.

They will also slowly decrease your hours too. When you first start working, you could be getting 35-40 hours. After several months, it will go down, then if you stay long enough (ie 2-5 years or 15 years) they will move you to part time and give your hours to the new hires and give you only 3-4 hours a shift, 2-3 days a week...yay.

Management doesn't care about your situation (if you have any). They are also selfish because of that, they only care about their bonus. If you are a minority race in the store, they will gang up on you and look down at you. The management plays favorite too. Their favorites can get away with doing something they are not suppose too, but if you do the same thing, you get written up. If you are sexually harassed, they will ask you what you want done. The pay increase is also based on favorites too, not on work ethics or how much you've done or how well you've done. If you work cashier, they will make you push the red cards, either debit or credit cards. It's like you're in sales, there's a quota the store should meet. If you work on the floor, you're expected to work cashier too, be a jack of all trades. They work you hard. The "teamwork" is, you work individually, by yourself, with no useless talking expect to their "guest". But even then, if you take too long helping a "guest" you get a talk or you're look down on by management. They only staff the bare minimum people actually "working" (and not just standing around, chatting like management and their favorites) so if someone calls out, they are short by alot and everyone else "working" needs to put more in their weight. Everything that you want to do, vacation, paid time off, schedule changes, it's all through the computer. If you want to talk with someone about it, good luck. AND, even if you do put the request in the system, it can be auto denied for no reason at all and management may not even look at it. It's almost like a electronic call system, no human, in the store that you're working at, which is sad and funny that's it's like that.

Advice to Management

Be human beings and put yourself into the shoes of others and see for yourself what your practice is really doing. If you're going to have a high turnover rate, then you're going to lose money. Be diverse. Especially at the store level. I'm sure it's so much better at HQ, but it's not like that at store level that is not management....
    the employees should be able to rate the management for their (the managers) bonus too, not just look at the overall store's profit and performance.

"Loss Prevention Officer"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My job is fast fun and friendly. One of the greatest places I have worked today.

Cons

There is no set schedules for work shifts.

Advice to Management

I feel as though certain work centers should have set shifts. It would make scheduling easier.

4. "Nice but low pay"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The two targets I've been to have nice social atmosphere and protection policies are enforced well,

There's usually room to move up but it requires hard work and long days. This is a good place to earn an honest living

Cons

however there company is always pushing for higher productivity and overloading employees with tasks

Social time is alright but will be in the way of higher hours. Company standard to keep most everyone part time

Advice to Management

High turn over rate is because of low hours and compensation not equal to work load. Required breaks and equal work opportunities are morally required not a privilege employees have to be grateful for

5. "Good Part Time"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

Great team focused on customer service at all time. Flexible hours and decent pay. Loved the employee discount. Excellent part time for a little bit more cash.

Cons

Organizing the store after big sales. Late night shifts. Poor communication from team leader and, like any other place, the lazy teammates.

Advice to Management

Continue to have great interview procedures. Go the extra mile to hire competitive staff.

6. "Challenging"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader - Human Resources in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy over department. Great team dynamics. Do well and you are treated well
    Ability to constantly stretch and grow
    Good pay

Cons

Too much change all at once, makes it difficult to solidify progress
    No clear assessment of team dynamic over talent with executive management

Advice to Management

Be forthcoming with information as early as possible to confirm buy in. When changes occur with a week it's hard to scrambled to make it happen effectively.

"Not My Kind Of Team"

Current Employee - Target Express Team Lead in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Target Express Team Lead in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Target can be a great retail company for many to grow and develop, but it very much depends on the specific store and district. The pay and benefits are reasonably attractive, there's always someone with the knowledge and experience to provide the support/answers/mentorship you need (IF you take the initiative to seek it), and some of its entry level roles really offer the cross-training and responsibility to foster a "business owner" mentality. Target embraces diversity and is true to its "Fast, Fun, and Friendly" motto, but it makes for a very shallow social kind of unity/teamwork.

Cons

Your success hinges upon others, and there is often great disparity in talent across the team. The most key player is the STL when it comes to setting standards and culture, but the most successful STLs are authoritarian/managerial rather than charismatic/inspiring. Most roles are very active and exhausting, and teams are perpetually behind in one way or another. Success requires a lot of energy, excellent time management, and a willingness to constantly challenge yourself and others. ETLs don't enjoy great work-life balance with 50+ hour weeks, especially during holiday season. At the end of the day, Target is challenging because it's a huge company with a ton of moving pieces trying to offer a lot to its guests. It has a lot of good strategies and resources in place to make it work, but it's a stressful environment for many personalities.

Advice to Management

Invest deeply in your STLs and HR teams. They are the heart of this company and lay the foundation of great teams. Though they should be expected to know the business and manage operations well, they also need time and space to connect more deeply with employees. At the end of the day, I am a model employee who won't stay with the company long, because I've been strung along by false hope of promotion and am not given the opportunity to meaningfully connect with others.

8. "Friend"

Current Employee - Cashier in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A comfortable environment and will pay on time

Cons

I don't kmow you have to see for yourself

Advice to Management

You are great

9. "Very hard to get out of the store"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Washington, DC

Pros

Excellent benefits, best pay in retail, room for growth

Cons

Experience depends on STL. If you have a lunatic running things your life is a living hell and it's almost impossible to be transferred to another store

Advice to Management

Stop being sticklers for some rules but not all. People below to the company, not stores. Management is selfish trying to do whats best for them not for their team and the company. STOP changing compensation terms like 18 month rotations, no pay increases with moves and stop BS politics in the district.

10. "Good company but limited advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Washington, DC

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

I really like my coworkers and managers. At my store, the team works well together and the managers are good at giving constructive and timely feedback on your work. When I was going to school, my managers were very flexible with my work schedule.

Cons

It is a long and difficult process for internal candidates to get promoted to upper store management. They make their best and most qualified internals jump through hoops to even get promoted to a Team Leader position, even if they have a degree, and then they'll turn around and hire fresh college graduates with little to no job experience as ETLs. If you're interested in being an ETL with Target, I would recommend waiting until you already have a degree and can apply directly for ETL positions.

Advice to Management

In most cases, your internal candidates with college degrees are more qualified and prepared to be ETLs than external candidates. Don't string them along with promises of Team Leader positions that they are actually overqualified for.

Showing 45 of 29,324 reviews