Target Reviews in Worcester, MA | Glassdoor

Worcester, MA Area

Brian Cornell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Can be difficult to find a good work/life balance" (in 1602 reviews)

• "Hours were inconsistent for most team members" (in 1692 reviews)

1. "Cashier/Starbucks Barista"

Former Employee - Cashier in Milford, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Milford, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scheduling time off and making usre you had enough hours was really easy, especially for a high school student. They have a Leave of Absence, so if you have to take time off for college, you can come back and get hours for your break.

Cons

Cashier was exhausting, they need to make the shifts shorter, allow water bottles, and/or add time to just walk around and leave your position for a second. The emphasis on RedCards was absurd, especially if you live in a small town -- everyone in the small town has already decided at this point whether they want one or not, stop trying to shove it down their throats.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees who's sole purpose is to stand in for cashiers every hour so they can take a lap around the store to allow them to regroup and be better able to greet customers.

2. "Pharmacy Technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Worcester, MA

I worked at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the Pharmacy work

Cons

was not able to get 40+ hours of work a week

3. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Leominster, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Leominster, MA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun environment, very good discount

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement

4. "Career growth encouraged but not a given"

Former Employee - Apparel and Accessories Team Member in Leominster, MA
    Former Employee - Apparel and Accessories Team Member in Leominster, MA

I worked at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment in some cases

Cons

Communication between employees and uppermanagement needs improvement

Advice to Management

Growth within the company is encouraged, but opportunities are scarce to say the least. I loved working there when I first started, but it progressively became a worse environment for me and I stopped enjoying coming to work.

5. "Target is a decent company to work for but upper management are too “by the book”."

Current Employee - Food Team Leader in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Food Team Leader in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent co-workers and the discount. The hours are okay when you’re a team leader. The guests are much more appreciative and more upstanding than other retail stores.

Cons

Upper management and tight hours that fluctuate with the season. No one has authority unless you’re an ETL. Trying to move up in the company is also very difficult.

Advice to Management

The end to end teams need to be able to set hours and schedule employees according to the work load. The whole “process” of the end to end teams is not successful and the leaders should be able to set standards for their own store.

6. "Management does not deal with human issues realistically"

Former Employee - Cashier in Leominster, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Leominster, MA

I worked at Target full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly co-workers
    Middle management team members were almost always pleasant and enjoyable to work with.They worked really hard and tried their best to be as accommodating as possible.

Cons

Management is awful, training is nonexistent because LODs are over-worked and expected to do everything. Communication is very poor and inconsistent. You're expected to know how the company works within the first few days of being there and people look at you like you're inadequate and stupid if it takes you some time to learn how something works. On my first day, one of my co-workers was trying to train me to accept and hand out red cards and was told to "get back to work." I was forced to be on register 8 hours straight nearly every day with an arm injury (doing one-handed work while customers threw their bulky plastic bins and heavy bags of pet food in my face) even though the woman who interviewed me told me my injury would be accommodated once hired. I was hired on as part-time but they scheduled me 40+ hours each week without benefits because they knew they could get away with it. All of upper management was petty and incredibly disrespectful (especially Human Resources.) I told the store manager I was in a lot of pain and asked if I could do self-checkout when she asked me to go on register and she told me that I would need a note from a doctor to do that (even though I could have easily switched with the girl who was monitoring self-checkout). I think everyone thought I was trying to be difficult and lazy, but I was just in so much pain and had not expected my injury to last as long as it did.

Advice to Management

Be kind. Be authentic. Quit the hierarchical, egotistical pettiness. People who are acutely aware of their surroundings and of human psychology can see right through your disingenuous nature, regardless of how big of a smile you put on.

Also, in regards to the company as a whole, consider selling products that are not made by slaves in sweatshops. For a company that preaches equality, family, and "positive vibes", your poor selection of slave-made, environmentally-hazardous goods says otherwise. Focus on quality over quantity and humaneness over profit.

7. "Great people, awful business model"

Current Employee - Hardlines Team Lead in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Hardlines Team Lead in Milford, MA

I have been working at Target full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can run your own "business" if the executives let you.... which is once in a while. You just feel like a hard working team member

Cons

Executives are an absolute joke. Terrible at knowing what is going on. Business is not like it used to be the new innovations the company is doing is just awful.

Advice to Management

Become knowledgeable and work hard so the team will actually respect you.

8. "Ok"

Current Employee - Team Member On Sales Floor in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Team Member On Sales Floor in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Target part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team is very accommodating for flexible schedules for working days, nights or specific hours. Allows for job rotations.

Cons

They provide very low pay, minimum wage for all employees no matter how well they perform. Management does not like to be questioned on decisions.

Advice to Management

Don't come down on high school student employees so hard when they make a mistake

9. "Sales associate/ Softlines"

Current Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Floor/Softlines Team Member in Milford, MA

I have been working at Target (More than a year)

Pros

Great job and I have been working with the company for over a year. I have only good things to say.

Cons

The job is very repetitive.

Advice to Management

Everything is going great.

"Typical minimum wage job"

Former Employee - Hardlines/Cashier in Leominster, MA
    Former Employee - Hardlines/Cashier in Leominster, MA

I worked at Target part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having a job.
    Clean environment.
    Break room.

Cons

Terrible pay. (Obviously)
    Managers do not really care about customer needs.

Advice to Management

Care about the customers and hire a more mature management staff at certain locations. After leaving Target and getting a much higher paying job, I rarely ever go to Target for my own personal shopping. The Target I worked at had managers put everything before the customers, (which I could not stand). After telling friends and co-workers of this, they too no longer use Target.

Showing 28 of 30,000 reviews