Taskrabbit Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Taskrabbit CEO Stacy Brown-Philpot
Stacy Brown-Philpot

Pros
  • It's a way to make snack money if you are absolutely in desperate need (in 3 reviews)

• Work whenever you want, and good customer support (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • a massive movement in circumventing business law for which they take 30% of your income (in 7 reviews)

• It is currently 30% for first time clients and 15% for repeat clients (in 6 reviews)

1. "Excellent Community!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Taskrabbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, variety of challenges and experiencing, lean mean fighting machine with an elastic ability to change with the environment.

Cons

Like all of the service industry, some clients are tough to please and some contractors are under skilled with poor attitudes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Tasker"

Current Employee - Tasker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tasker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Taskrabbit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Ability to work as independent contractor and set your own schedule
    -Ability to set your own rates as you wish to be compensated

Cons

-Work is much less consistent in the winter months and earning potential is much smaller
    -No ability to dispute negative reviews

Advice to Management

-Increase advertising to balance out earning potential year round for full time taskers
    -Offer assistance with filing taxes as an independent contractor

3. "Great Flexibility, Can Become Full Time if Desired"

Current Employee - Tasker in New York, NY

I have been working at Taskrabbit (More than a year)

Pros

You make your own schedule
    Self-Motivated
    Great Clients 95% of the time
    Very competitive pay $30-$60 an hour
    Insurance is very Reassuring if Damage of property on job

Cons

Winter months are SLOW!
    Super Competitive
    Company is Looking out more for Company Interest than their Taskers

Advice to Management

There has been a noticeable shift the company is taking up a bigger cut from commissions. This is causing many Taskers to stop going above and beyond and to try to go off the platform because there is no incentives for the Taskers.

There should be more training programs

5. "30% SERVICE FEE IS A KILLER!"

Current Employee - Tasker in New York, NY

I have been working at Taskrabbit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Set your own hours
    - Extra cash is always nice (not rent money, more like bill money)

Cons

- The company is unresponsive
    - I had a faulty review, my only one mind you, and Taskrabbit had no interest in what transpired and the motivation for the review
    - The 30% service fee is way too hight. It puts taskers in a weird spot to either raise your rate so you can make a decent wage which means you're overcharging clients and probably not getting hired or charge accordingly and make less than you should.
    - They did away with the lowered service fee for repeat customers; now it's some elite tasker elite level that requires you to have a 98% rating which excludes so many great taskers. It seems greedy.

Advice to Management

Listen to taskers and share the wealth. 30% comes off as a violation and pure greed.

"Good for TEMPORARY TRANSFER/Needs upgrade."

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Taskrabbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clientele builder and negotiated pay with specific jobs.

Cons

TERRIBLE Pay and corporate involvement to help employees with Tax returns. Only good with helping them.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better.

7. "They suck you in, use you....then kick you out to dry."

Former Employee - Tasker in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tasker in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Taskrabbit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I found my current clients with

Cons

No one is trained at all and I'm pretty sure the Taskers ARE NOT background checked....which is very scary with them coming into clients homes. Taking 30% is not fair.

If you get one bad review (which could be someone whose having a bad day, or they just don't want to pay you) your ratings drop drastically and they do nothing about it!

Advice to Management

Go back to the 15% and either hire only trained taskers or have them trained properly and pass a training program. Confirm background check with customers to prove they are AOK.

"Became BAD"

Former Employee - Tasker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tasker in New York, NY

I worked at Taskrabbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

own schedule
    meet new and interesting people

Cons

Too many people are on the platform now
    They now take 30 percent
    They also have unrealistic metric system
    They also are forcing old taskers to leave to make room for new taskers that under charge for there work

Advice to Management

Become the old company that you use to be. The company that cared for the task posters and the rabbits. This new Taskrabbit only cares about profit. It's sad to see a company I was apart of for years fall apart.

"You pay THEM to sign up!"

Former Employee - Tasker in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Tasker in Orange, CA

I worked at Taskrabbit part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a way to make snack money if you are absolutely in desperate need.

Clients are ok. They're expecting a lot more than what they're paying for. Go above and beyond and they'll hire you outside of TR.

Cons

You have to pay a fee to register. This is ALWAYS a red flag.

They take roughly 30% of your hourly rate.

The jobs are non descrip. You don't know what you're walking into half of the time.

Advice to Management

Charging registrants to sign up makes you look scammy. We're doing the work, why should we pay you? Answer: We shouldn't. Your objective should be to build up the ranks so that customers have a variety of taskers to choose from.

10. "Great office culture, decent tech, uncertain future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Taskrabbit (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent office culture, lots of very friendly and helpful coworkers, both in the tech side and the non-tech side. Great lunch, snacks, office hours, etc. Mostly open employees/engineers that enjoy helping each other and stress quality.

Cons

Top-level management had trouble finding the right market fit and how to get there. There was a bit of a disconnect between what they were saying and what was being stressed feature-wise on some platforms. Backend engineering team had too much influence over the other areas of engineering which caused notable personnel issues. Most engineers that leave cite one "untouchable" engineer as the reason they left.

Advice to Management

Keep the good office culture and promote that positive attitude most people have, it's the reason you retain people! I would also recommend not letting a single engineer with a particular platform focus drive major features on all platforms and how things are done across them.

"Being a Tasker, the good, the bad, and the ugly"

Current Employee - Tasker in New York, NY

Pros

It's easy to modify your schedule as needed. You do meet some interesting people in the process and possibly learn new skills and ways of doing things. The payment process is pretty streamlined and reliable. Depending on your skillset, you can make a fairly good hourly wage after commissions in the $20 to $30/hour neighborhood. The biggest thing to hurt your income are periods of low demand and excessive competition between taskers. I've seen how quickly that drives prices into the toilet.
    I think taskrabbit is a good part time income for someone who already has another job with traditional employee benefits. Not going to quote my income numbers but I will say I have met and exceeded my goals for part time income and my savings account isn't hurting.

Cons

You are an "independent contractor" translation; You have no health/retirement benefits, labor protections, worker's comp, unemployment, minimum wage etc. You are your own business and no taxes will be withheld from your pay so it's up to you to do what you need to do with the tax man.
    Other side note, as a tasker you are not an "employee" but can still be fired based on what I've read from others.
    Taskrabbit does exert its "big brother" power to "encourage" taskers to do and not do certain things ie. forfeiting tasks, sharing contact info with clients, etc.
    It is easy to be a great tasker and still get dinged by dishonest reviews from your most bitter Betty clients. You'll eventually learn how to screen out the idiot clients who have expectations way beyond what any one person can do for them. Also you'll have the broke clients who will press you to do a job in an unreasonable amount of time because they really can't afford to hire anyone in the first place. Discuss expectations and time frames with the client to know if you might have one of these problem clients. With experience choosing your tasks, you may get to the point where 1 in 20 clients are difficult. Just be aware that the 1 in 20 will drag your name through the mud in your reviews, don't lose sleep over those idiots.

Advice to Management

For a company who is not an employer of "employees", there sure are a lot of rules and policies to govern every transaction. Allow taskers to forfeit tasks that they are not well suited for without the fear of retribution, termination, etc. The tasker app makes it clear that forfeiting tasks is pretty frowned on to say the least. Stop forcing your metrics down everyone's throat. As "independent contractors" let us be independent and make appropriate decisions for our own businesses. Natural selection will automatically weed out the taskers who seriously have no clue what they are doing. I will always use the term "independent contractor" in quotes because it is just a BS way to control everything and evade every possible labor law at the same time.