Tate & Lyle Process Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

0 Rating

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Process/Project Engineer in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Good people to work with. People generally care about the company and doing what's best. - Very strong core business that consistently turns a profit, so job security is strong. - Lots of exposure to different processes and unit operations allows young engineers a well rounded experience and knowledge base. - A career progression ladder has been developed for engineers that shows paths in both technical and leadership paths.

Cons

- Concerned about where the company is heading. We keep selling off the business, but aren't adding anything of significance to replace. We recently chose to close a plant rather than lower our price to compete with Chinese. Recent SAP upgrade has resulted in more busy work for employees and less time to spend actually doing our jobs. - When unrealistic profits are not achieved, blame and pain is placed on the wrong groups to cut budgets and work harder.

Advice to Management

- Take a few risks. We can't continue to be this conservative and expect to remain competitive. - Submit realistic profit forecasts, so we can met expectations and not disappoint investors.

Tate & Lyle2015-06-29

"Amazing People, Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in McIntosh, AL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was my second engineering job out of college. We produced a different product than most of the other Tate and Lyle corn plants so I had heard that the culture and atmosphere was quite a bit different than the corn plants. The team at this plant was hard working and always looking out for the good of everyone. The operators and salaried management staff here have no barriers and the safety culture is excellent. Everyone is always willing to help and pitch in when there are process issues and it truly feels like a family atmosphere. The pay is above average for engineers and the benefits are pretty good. I would rate this job much higher in every category as opposed to my first engineering job.

Cons

There has been high turnover for engineers at this plant due to it's location being so far away from a big metropolitan area. It is a super complicated chemical process with every unit operation imaginable so it can be very tough to learn. With so much turnover there were very few technical people to learn from and pretty much everything had to be learned from self study training materials. They are very "lean" at this plant so most people are overworked and things can get stressful at times. It is also about an hour commute unless you want to live in the middle of no where.

Advice to Management

Give better raises and incentives to stay with the company. This is a great place to work, but the constant turnover of people that learn the process then leave from being overworked really does hurt the production numbers.

Tate & Lyle2016-04-23

"Process Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Process Engineer in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Tate & Lyle for more than a year

Pros

Small office environment which allows for a diverse set of opportunities Can work closely with both operations and engineering staff

Cons

Current company situation is less than ideal Not many opportunities for obvious advancement within the company

Advice to Management

Providing better incentives to your employees would help retention rate and encourage higher level candidates to apply for new job opportunities.

Tate & Lyle2015-10-08

"Solid career but hard work"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Decatur, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Tate and Lyle is a solid company and there are opportunities to advance IF you happen to be selected into their group. I sometimes wondered how the people that got advanced caught the eye of Senior Managers.

Cons

Hard work, expect long hours in tuff conditions. New engineering grads usually start in front line supervision. Not what we went to school for, and there is a chance you can work the process, but much of your time is spent on people and people problems.

Advice to Management

There are benefits of being an Engineering Run company, but engineers do NOT naturally poses the people person skills it takes to manage in a union environment. Having a few "people type people" around would be beneficial to the company.

Tate & Lyle2014-11-10

"Learn what you can and then move on"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Decatur, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good learning experience for new grads, opportunities for advancement

Cons

location, below average wages, money is tight for projects, too much workforce turnover

Tate & Lyle2014-06-13