Tate & Lyle "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Tate & Lyle Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Mar 13, 2019

3.7
Tate & Lyle Chief Executive Office Nick Hampton (no image)
Nick Hampton
Pros
  • "There are some good people working very hard wanting to make a difference(in 17 reviews)

• "Great work being done by great people to make a difference in the world(in 15 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Associate"

Associate in Cape May Ch, NJ

I have been working at Tate & Lyle for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, management is nice

Cons

No cons really, just not much of work/life balance

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

Tate & Lyle2018-10-05

"Employees are treated as a materialist."

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Company and follow values.

Cons

No value is given to employees and no work life balance.

Tate & Lyle2019-01-26

"Grain Originator"

Current Employee - Grain Originator in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Grain team is extremely flexible and easy-going. What is expected of you is presented upfront and what is needed from employees is made clear. There is room for error so that we can learn from our mistakes. Salary is great. Work-life balance is superb so far, and encouraged

Cons

Training is essentially non-existant, which is fine as long as you can take chances and learn from your mistakes.

Advice to Management

Some areas are understaffed in the grain group. However, current management has begun to address the issue, which is good to see.

Tate & Lyle2017-06-09

"Hoffman Estates office"

I have been working at Tate & Lyle for less than a year

Pros

There are some good people working very hard wanting to make a difference. Focus and concern of safety for employees.

Cons

No work life balance. Too much work and not enough resources. Expectations are not realistic..you will burn out quickly. Teams dont communicate well. These are all reasons why New hires leave the company so quickly. I have seen a lot of people leave since I started. Moral has been low and Management is not addressing it. Bonus structure is not fair. Only managers or above receive it. You work extra hard for a... minimal yearly increase.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes....employees are leaving...or looking to leave. Why are you not addressing the issues to retain your talent?

Tate & Lyle2017-05-25

"Good company to work for in London, UK"

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time

Pros

Office is nice, modern and in a great location (Covent Garden) Staff and management are mostly friendly and social events are arranged every few months Fair salary and benefits. Good work-life balance (including working from home) Travel

Cons

Limited career progression / development outside of commercial roles HR department appears to be under staffed which means it's slow and sometimes ineffective It is a head office but you need to travel to visit any of the manufacturing

Tate & Lyle2017-02-12
  6. "Amazing Place to work"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Decatur, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle for less than a year

Pros

Everything! Good work/life balance. Good Pay! Always ready to train employees on new adventures. Room for growth. Benefits are pretty good also

Cons

Can't think of any. I seriously miss working here. The managers all the way down are amazing to work with.

Advice to Management

Offer to be hired on to your temps. Don't keep them as temps as long. They work hard for you

Tate & Lyle2017-02-10
  7. "Happy worker"

Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very family friendly company. Great work/life/balance. The company does many thoughtful things for their employees and family. Salaries are good.

Cons

No real cons to add at this time. I like this company. It smells.

Tate & Lyle2017-01-18

"Looks great - until you get there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent Salary, Decent benefits, weak vacation allotment, as typical. Not on par with UK colleagues, Nice offices - though open concept.

Cons

Be prepared to work around the clock. This company talks about work/life balance - what it really means is you are available at your manager's whim any time day or night. And have your passport ready, so you can fly off at a moment's notice to monitor the company's global footprint. Integrity is a core value, but not evident in how the treat their employees and business partners.. Constant employee turnover. ... Company performance poor with no upward trajectory in sight,

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding the VP's and above when employees don't get bonuses. Stem the constant churn of employees

Tate & Lyle2016-04-14

"Work to do, but lot's of opportunities to make an impact"

Current Employee - Illinois in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Tate & Lyle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has been changing a lot in the last few years, which has created opportunities for a lot of people (but you do have to have the stomach for it). The food ingredients industry and Tate & Lyle's aspiration to make a real impact is a powerful combination. The strategy is very clear. The company has quite a global footprint and of a good size (it is not some impersonal mammoth organisation).

Cons

Business performance has not been great in the last few years (but medium/longer term outlook is still very promising). Hard work s required and that is not always helping work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Focus and setting clear priorities

Tate & Lyle2015-06-04

"A good first experience in a big corporation, but not a career"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Tate & Lyle for more than a year

Pros

For the most part, professional atmosphere. I developed a lot of good relationships with my coworkers and continue to stay in touch with them even after leaving. Their biggest priority is safety, which was nice, but it also seemed to be a little too much considering most of the positions dealt with chemicals/ingredients that are found in most kitchens.

Cons

I was a temporary employee, but I heard from permanent employees that the work-life balance was not good (some even came in on Saturdays just to keep from drowning in their workload). I never really received feedback, which I found problematic because I like to strive for excellence in my work. I never felt like the work I did was important or appreciated. I did not find the work I did or the industry particularly... interesting, either.

Advice to Management

I understand you don't want to be liable for employees' carelessness/ignorance, but please tone it down a little with the extreme emphasis on safety. Also, consider why turnover has been so high as of lately. Re-evaluate your methods for assigning workload and be realistic about a one-person department doing the work of 2+ employees.

Tate & Lyle2014-05-04