Tavern at The Park Reviews | Glassdoor

Tavern at The Park Reviews

Updated Oct 29, 2018

Found 12 reviews

1.8
Tavern at The Park CEO Peter de Castro, Jr (no image)
Peter de Castro, Jr
  1. "Executive sous chef"

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have a lot of passion and knowledge for the food industry. I would make a great impressive impact on your business

Cons

I get very close to the people I work with. I am always early. I don't take credit for my work is let everyone else shine

Advice to Management

Give me a chance to prove that I can do it all. I am the one that you want to be at your company

Tavern at The Park2016-09-08
  2. "Waiter"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful location with excellent view of chicago

Cons

The owners could care less about their employees

Tavern at The Park2018-10-29
  3. "If you want to hate your job work here!!!!"

Waiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park for less than a year

Pros

The managers work their hardest to help you out. Especially the female managers. You’ll be surrounded by coworkers that hate the job and the owners as much as you do!!

Cons

Honestly I don’t know where to start so I’m just going to give a list. - they are very under staffed so you will be working all the time. At least 7 shifts a week. If you ask for specific permanent days off (because you have a life out of work) they will complain and not be happy with you. - they are under staffed because they work you like a dog when it is NOT WORTH THE MONEY. -when you start off you have to... take SIX detailed tests in a five day period. THEN once you pass they put you in small sections (2-3 tables) for a week. -about 4-5 people there actually make GOOD money and they are the banquet captains. -the owners are a whole different mess. It truly seems that they do not care about their company or their staff. They will tell costumers there is a 15-20 minute wait AND THE DINNIG ROOM WILL BE EMPTY. They are actually the hosts’ (we have hostess’s but they don’t actully do the seating) so they will not make cuts till it is a half hour till closing. You could not have been sat for 40 minutes then they will seat you then say you are cut. Don’t dare ask to know what’s going on with cuts or Donny and Pete will freak out. They love to be at the front to show that they are their and it’s their company but you will NEVER see them help you out. -they do not let you eat besides the “comida” aka mush they feed you before your shift. - you get 50% off ONCE A MONTH and you have a to make a reservation and you aren’t allowed to go to the rooftop for it. - they got sued a while back for taking money off of the waiters checks and paying the food runners with it... we now no longer have food runners. -still not over how horrible and clownish the owners are. -there was a huge server walk out a little over a year ago and it’s really starting to happen all over again with the servers still there. -if you have let caught on yet the place sucks. This isn’t a “well maybe you were a bad server thing”. It’s a “this place is actually horrible and every single server there feels the same way.

Advice to Management

I really appreciate them because they take so much crap from the owners. My advice to them is to find a better job where the boss treats them better. You did great- managers. Lots of love to you guys.

Tavern at The Park2018-08-18
  4. "Tavern at the Crack (It will crack you!)"

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers that will hate this job as much as you will.

Cons

Long hours, doubles that are unnecessary starting at 10am-??? Breaks during your doubles range from 20 minutes to 4+ hours. And you never know how long your shift is going to last because the failchild owners insist on making cuts. You can be there for hours and not get seated. Not to mention the endless side work, especially in the summer. You’re already working 12+hours now here’s an extra couple hours of sidework.... You’re gonna leave around midnight but bend over a little bit further Betsy Mae, because the owners decided that they’re a breakfast place as well and you’re gonna have to open this place up at 7am. This place has no concept of what it is either. Are they a tavern? Fine dining? Oh, they’re a breakfast place now? You’re serving buffalo chicken tenders on mac ‘n cheese and you have to wear a tie and a name tag to do so. You need a manager to do ANYTHING. Heaven help you if you have a guest with a food allergy because, like everything else, it’s a ten step ridiculous, redundant process. Ready to leave for the night? Well, settle in because your checkout includes rewriting every single credit card slip although it’s already written clearly on your printed checkout report. The owners have no consideration for your time. I’ve never worked at a place that uses its service staff as cheap manual labor.

Advice to Management

Get some chill. It’s a cheeseburger, not the end of the world. As for the owners, if you can’t expect people to have lives outside of this place don’t be surprised when they start having a negative attitude and leave.

Tavern at The Park2018-06-25
  5. "My experience was very negative; the managers don’t make cuts and you’re over worked and over scheduled."

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tips are good sometimes, especially in the summer, typically you can turn tables quickly assuming you’re getting sat consistently. That’s it.

Cons

- tense work atmosphere - 8+ shifts a week, often with several doubles in a row - inconsistent with tips, turning tables - often one won’t get cut even if they haven’t had a table in an hour or more

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect.

Tavern at The Park2018-05-21
  6. "Abusive owners"

Former Employee - Host/Hostess in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park part-time

Pros

If you're looking for a job just for spending money.

Cons

Creepy bus boys that sexually harrased me. One owner grabbed me and push me aside when i was trying to help patrons. They are very nitpicky and expect you to know everything in 3 days of training. One girl that was training me gave me attitude every time I asked questions pertaining to the job but she was always high when she worked and very rude and dismissive. Tried to make conversation with a few people but they... were also very dismissive. Pay was not great. I asked for full time but they only gave me one day a week every other week. They also continuously messed up my availability and scheduling me for days I could not work as well as not consistently emailing me the schedule which caused me to miss a shift. They are unorganized bullies that don't pay their employees well. This is not a job you can make a living off of unless you want to deal with continual bullying and abuse.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and pay them a living wage as well as medical brnefits. maybe then they won't give you bad reviews.

Tavern at The Park2018-01-17

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, better people, good pay

Cons

Hard work but worth the money

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do

Tavern at The Park2017-06-07

"Worst place I've ever worked in my 8 years in the industry!"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, managers do give their all. They are understanding. Everyone other than the owners are genuine kind people trying to make a living. I don't know how the managers do it on what little they make, they work 60 plus hours a week. And salary I heard averages 600 a week. I worked 40 plus hours a week, my check, once a week, was never more than 800. That's including 14 percent tip out from the servers and... 6.95 hourly wage. I had no clue where my money was going. It is completely true what the below review said about "sweatshop in the park"

Cons

The managers were nitpicky on everything. It was hard to take them seriously when we already had to do the job as a cleanup crew after serving or bartending. We had to scrub the outdoor patio. It literally was an extra 2 hours to break down everything after a shift. And I know that can be normal but literally as long as I have been in the industry, I never felt like I had to do that kind of manual labor. The owners... do not care what little their employees make, obviously because they are buying outdoor air conditioners (2) that were said to cost 3000 dollars. How ridiculous to have an air conditioner on a rooftop patio with very little coverage. The turnover is extreme in every position: cook, busser, manager, sever, bartender. It was nothing new to have an employee walk out on a busy night. We were busy a lot too, which is why it's so frustrating to see how crappy our check was after it all. My bones hurt after each week. I would never work for this company again.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more because we all know you guys are doing well in the money department, or get used to continually hiring new staff all year long.

Tavern at The Park2015-08-21

"Sweatshop at the Park"

Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tavern at The Park full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like to work your fingers down to the bone, money can be made. Closed Sundays and some holidays. Extreme turnover so seniority comes quick.

Cons

Tyrannical management and especially owners, chicken-spine shift meals, outrageous side work and tasks, constant belittlement and degradation, week long suspensions for ringing wrong entree, sketchy payroll with no break down, promised benefits and paid vacation denied, no regard for human life outside of Tavern.

Advice to Management

Management: find new jobs Owners: kill yourselves

Tavern at The Park2014-09-27

"In their own world."

Former Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good interview. Management and owner was very friendly and personable.

Cons

Beware of overly friendly and personable management and owner during the interview. Management and the Owners are extremely aggressive and confrontational. They will pull staff aside into the office and either berate or yell at them for random reasons, many that have nothing to do with the quality of the restaurant, or service of guests. Actually one of the reasons I was reprimanded included being too... friendly, and having too much personality with guests. Also, when asked about specifics about what they tried to say I was lacking in performance, no specifics were given, only general statements such as, "Tow the line." and "Mia Culpa." or "You're talking a lot about how you do a good job but it's not what I'm seeing." The more I asked about specific ways to improve the more I was given generalized, non-specific statements. The good news is, management and owners did say they had these kinds of talks with most employees so that I was not being singled out. As a bartender, for the amount of hours worked, the pay is far below scale. I couldn't tell you specifically what my tips are because they split tips across the board and I never got to see what the tip pool from credit cards was. There is no way to tell what your tips will be. Meanwhile, cash tips are almost nil. Also, there is a major disconnect with performance of employees and what owners and management choose to see. This, combined with many reasons that I and other reviewers have mentioned causes a huge turnover in staff, so yes, they are always hiring. I would never recommend this place to a friend.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees as those that are there to help you. If you trust your own decisions enough to hire someone, you should be willing to trust your own judgement. You do not need to "haze" employees, so to speak, to break them into your way. A man much wiser than myself once said, "No one cares what you know until they know that you care." If you are looking at your employees as worthless spokes in a... wheel, you will never be able to keep the great ones there, because there are plenty of other places in the city looking for great talent.

Tavern at The Park2012-05-29