Tavern at The Park Reviews | Glassdoor

Tavern at The Park Reviews

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter de Castro, Jr

"Worst place I've ever worked in my 8 years in the industry!"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, managers do give their all. They are understanding. Everyone other than the owners are genuine kind people trying to make a living. I don't know how the managers do it on what little they make, they work 60 plus hours a week. And salary I heard averages 600 a week. I worked 40 plus hours a week, my check, once a week, was never more than 800. That's including 14 percent tip out from the servers and 6.95 hourly wage. I had no clue where my money was going. It is completely true what the below review said about "sweatshop in the park"

Cons

The managers were nitpicky on everything. It was hard to take them seriously when we already had to do the job as a cleanup crew after serving or bartending. We had to scrub the outdoor patio. It literally was an extra 2 hours to break down everything after a shift. And I know that can be normal but literally as long as I have been in the industry, I never felt like I had to do that kind of manual labor. The owners do not care what little their employees make, obviously because they are buying outdoor air conditioners (2) that were said to cost 3000 dollars. How ridiculous to have an air conditioner on a rooftop patio with very little coverage. The turnover is extreme in every position: cook, busser, manager, sever, bartender. It was nothing new to have an employee walk out on a busy night. We were busy a lot too, which is why it's so frustrating to see how crappy our check was after it all. My bones hurt after each week. I would never work for this company again.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more because we all know you guys are doing well in the money department, or get used to continually hiring new staff all year long.

"Sweatshop at the Park"

Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Tavern at The Park full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like to work your fingers down to the bone, money can be made. Closed Sundays and some holidays. Extreme turnover so seniority comes quick.

Cons

Tyrannical management and especially owners, chicken-spine shift meals, outrageous side work and tasks, constant belittlement and degradation, week long suspensions for ringing wrong entree, sketchy payroll with no break down, promised benefits and paid vacation denied, no regard for human life outside of Tavern.

Advice to Management

Management: find new jobs
    Owners: kill yourselves

"In their own world."

Former Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good interview. Management and owner was very friendly and personable.

Cons

Beware of overly friendly and personable management and owner during the interview.

Management and the Owners are extremely aggressive and confrontational. They will pull staff aside into the office and either berate or yell at them for random reasons, many that have nothing to do with the quality of the restaurant, or service of guests. Actually one of the reasons I was reprimanded included being too friendly, and having too much personality with guests.

Also, when asked about specifics about what they tried to say I was lacking in performance, no specifics were given, only general statements such as, "Tow the line." and "Mia Culpa." or "You're talking a lot about how you do a good job but it's not what I'm seeing."

The more I asked about specific ways to improve the more I was given generalized, non-specific statements. The good news is, management and owners did say they had these kinds of talks with most employees so that I was not being singled out.

As a bartender, for the amount of hours worked, the pay is far below scale. I couldn't tell you specifically what my tips are because they split tips across the board and I never got to see what the tip pool from credit cards was. There is no way to tell what your tips will be. Meanwhile, cash tips are almost nil.

Also, there is a major disconnect with performance of employees and what owners and management choose to see. This, combined with many reasons that I and other reviewers have mentioned causes a huge turnover in staff, so yes, they are always hiring.

I would never recommend this place to a friend.

Advice to Management

Look at your employees as those that are there to help you. If you trust your own decisions enough to hire someone, you should be willing to trust your own judgement. You do not need to "haze" employees, so to speak, to break them into your way.

A man much wiser than myself once said, "No one cares what you know until they know that you care." If you are looking at your employees as worthless spokes in a wheel, you will never be able to keep the great ones there, because there are plenty of other places in the city looking for great talent.

5. "Long hours for little money!"

Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

Pros

They always need help and hire anybody. If you need a job right away apply.

Cons

Money comes out to about less than 10 dollars a hour. you will work 40 plus hours a week, min of three doubles from 10:30 am until 11 pm, and the tip out is 32% of your money. Plus you never get to see your money it comes in a check. Oh plus you pay the credit card processing fee for the company. Turn over is the highest I have ever seen.

Advice to Management

Owners take a step back and allow your managers to MANAGE. Don't just make them host. Managers try to be a little more professional.

"Work a lot, make a little"

Former Employee - Food Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Food Server in Chicago, IL

Pros

The employees tend to be very good people who take pride in doing their jobs and are really trying to make a good living.

Cons

Upper management has no real grasp of what employee's are actually making. Owner's believe that you should happily work 7-8 shifts a week and only make as much as most restaurant workers make in 5. They have no grasp of actually having a personal life and make it extremely easy to hate coming to your job just because of the negative and dominating attitude of the owners.

Advice to Management

People tend to work in the food service or bartending industry because they do not have to work long hours and can make a high hourly wage when tips are included. They are willing to work more to make more, but working full time hours for a low amount of money is just not worth it and does not help employee moral.

7. "Executive sous chef"

I worked at Tavern at The Park full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have a lot of passion and knowledge for the food industry. I would make a great impressive impact on your business

Cons

I get very close to the people I work with. I am always early. I don't take credit for my work is let everyone else shine

Advice to Management

Give me a chance to prove that I can do it all. I am the one that you want to be at your company