Tax Analysts Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2021

3.3
Tax Analysts President and CEO Cara Griffith (no image)
Cara Griffith

"About as good as a journalism job gets"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Editor in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Journalists never think tax is exciting coming in, but tax touches everything. There's so much going on in this field that any good reporter can carve out a great niche. And it's a great newsroom. No advertisers means your story will never be spiked by some guy in sales, and journalists' work remains focused on real journalism. No aggregation, no social-media round-ups, no fluff pieces. Because it's an uncommonly financially savvy nonprofit, it's hard for employees not to feel like the center of the universe. The pay and benefits are great, and you don't have to trade your life away for them. You file your story, you go home, and (if your copy is clean) you don't have to think about work till you come back the next day. The newsroom is constantly promoting from within, so there's lots of room to grow if you're committed and competent. And it's impossible not to quickly notice the commitment to diversity -- if you'd like a break from answering to old white dudes, this could be a good opportunity.

Cons

There are some weird turf wars that seem to date back decades, but I doubt they're much different than they are in the average workplace. Also, the suburban location was not for me.

Continue reading

"Fantastic place to work"

• Diversity & Inclusion

I have been working at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work for a company that is small and nimble, allowing you to help improve an already best-in-market product, then Tax Analysts is for you. I’ve never, in my +20-year career, been surrounded by such smart, ambitious, friendly, and empathic people who love their jobs and culture of an organization that truly cares for its employees. I simply can't imagine working anywhere else. If honesty, integrity, and respect are qualities you look for in an employer, look no further. 2017, 2019, and 2020 winner of Washington Posts Top Workplaces.

Cons

There are some employees (albeit a fraction of a percent) that have become complacent over the years, not realizing what an amazing place they work. I’ve never worked for a company where employees try and come back within months of working for a competitor or elsewhere. I’ve witnessed this at least 15 times over the years.

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Tax Analysts. While we always have things to work on, Tax Analysts’ core values include respect for the individual, integrity, and work-life integration. We are glad that you see the value of our culture at work and how much our employees live that in their day to day. We’re proud that people who have worked for us want to rejoin our ranks. We work hard to foster our culture and are happy that you have experienced that. We appreciate all you do and will continue to work hard to make Tax Analysts the best possible place to work and build a career. We have been named a Washington Post Top Workplace in 2019, 2020 and recently named a Top Workplace USA for 2021!

"Good overall but many unaddressed issues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Tax Analysts for several years and it was a stable, low-stress but productive job, especially compared with other publishing jobs I'd had before. The benefits are fair and managers are generally accommodating about allowing time off when needed. The job allows for work-life balance. Lots of friendly co-workers and a nice office building.

Cons

Although overall I didn't have too many bad experiences working at Tax Analysts, I do agree with most of the other negative comments on here. There's a huge gap between editorial staff and business staff. There were also a lot of charges in upper management all at once and not all for the better. As other comments mention, the new HR manager became more prominent and pushed activities for employees that were not actually helpful. Employees are pushed to write positive surveys to win awards for the company, and if the survey results are not completely positive then HR would try to find out who wrote them, even though they're anonymous. They said it was to help address any workplace problems, but in all the time I worked there I raised several questions/concerns and none of them were ever addressed. One time I raised a sensitive issue to HR/senior management and didn't receive a response, and when I followed up later I got an angry reply CCed to my supervisor asking me not to demand answers, and was later told by my manager that it's better not to ask questions. Pay is OK for the field but meaningful raises and promotions are hard to come by. There are lots of long-term employees but they basically just stick to the same job. There's plenty of work but it can be very routine.

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We consistently work to build a culture around our core values at Tax Analysts: respect for the individual, integrity, and work-life integration. We are glad to see that you enjoyed the benefits, the culture, your management’s flexibility, and the position itself. Regarding the employee surveys – management did not intend for employees to feel ‘forced’ to give good survey answers or be singled out for negative comments. It is always optional to participate. The intention of the survey was to understand where areas of strengths and improvement were – we want to know where we could be doing better. We divided up the results by department not individually and then we met with teams where flags came up. We did hear feedback that this felt to some as though management was trying to single people out, and as a result this year the survey was split up differently and we will approach any flags that come up differently. The results of the survey showed us where in the organization we could improve. It's encouraging to us that this year we were named a Top Workplace USA 2021. Regarding pay and promotion opportunities, we invest in our employees, and aim to provide career paths and advancement opportunities for hard-working and dedicated team members. In 2020, we promoted 20 team members into new roles and across teams, and want to continue promoting from within and filling positions internally. Thank you for again for your insight.

"Highly dysfunctional management"

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent 5* quality journalism; smart people in editorial

Cons

Seems friendly on surface but underneath is an on going cage fight of old vendettas and sucking up; no vision or leadership; many managers outside editorial are second rate on a good day;

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Tax Analysts. Tax Analysts’ core values include respect for the individual, integrity, and work-life integration and we are proud to share our recognition as a Washington Post Top Workplace 2019, 2020 and Top Workplace USA 2021. We take pride in our organization and are glad you recognized the quality of our content and staff. Thank you for your feedback.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Journalist/Reporter in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent salary and working conditions

Cons

Attitude is more legal than journalistIc

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing a welcoming workplace where staff have a solid work-life balance and competitive salaries at the same time! Tax Analysts’ core values include respect for the individual, integrity, and work-life integration and we are proud to share our recognition as a Washington Post Top Workplace 2019, 2020 and Top Workplace USA 2021.

"Too much stress for little ROI"

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous PTO and sick time.

Cons

From what I hear, things are okay if you're working at a higher level; management, editing, etc. But for those workers on the lower side of the pay scale, at least in my experience, a job here is more stressful than fulfilling, and with the high cost of living in the area, I ended up having to get a second job to make ends meet. Here are some cons: -Lots of pressure to be perfect. High expectations are good, but impossible expectations lead to disappointment on all sides. -High tolerance for sexual harassment. I was sexually harassed. When I reported it, I was asked what I was wearing at the time. My harasser was employed with the company for a long time and his behavior was an open secret. -Little opportunity for growth in a chosen track. In my experience, promotion opportunities were administrative in nature, which isn't what I had in mind for my career at a magazine. I wanted to work in writing or editing, and this simply wasn't the right place to do that. -Pressure to work holidays and/or to not use PTO around the holidays -There were a lot of meetings that, in my opinion, could have been emails or Skype chats. I felt like a lot of my time was wasted shooting the breeze instead of digging into work. -Low pay for the amount of work and stress. I think the pay is competitive in less expensive cities, but the DC area is very expensive and I think the pay should reflect that.

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We’re glad that you appreciated our time off policies. We value that feedback. Regarding the competitiveness of salaries – in 2017, we completed a compensation analysis for the organization to ensure that our salaries were competitive from a geographic, company size and industry standpoint. We now review market data on an annual basis to make sure we are in step with market developments. When it comes to our benefits, we aim to provide a solid package comparable to other non-profits in the DC area. We prioritize the total compensation offered to our staff and as a result, there were no increases for employee’s benefit costs in 2021. Regarding harassment, we are concerned to hear that you felt your complaint was not taken seriously, and encourage you to contact us directly about this. Tax Analysts is committed to providing a workplace that is safe, fair, tolerant, and free of discrimination, violence, and harassment of any kind, including sexual harassment. Employees can report instances or problems of possible discrimination or harassment or sexual harassment to Human Resources, to our ethical advocate hotline or any member of the management team. All complaints of harassment brought through these avenues are promptly and appropriately investigated. We have conducted annual training to ensure an environment which is free from sexual harassment including how to report incidents. Managers who receive complaints, or who observe harassing conduct, must inform Human Resources immediately. Our employees are our strength, and we want to cultivate our internal talent’s ability to grow within the organization. Over 50% of our staff have been with us for 10 years or more, and the majority started in entry-level positions. In 2020, we promoted and transferred 20 employees. There is always room for improvement, and we are working on developing skill sets of those who wish to move into different career tracks. Regarding pressure to work holidays – we really value our work/life balance at TA, it is one of our core values that differentiates us from other news organizations – as a whole, we want everyone to take the time they need, as long as business needs and publication deadlines are met. Thank you for again for your insights.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart staff that really cared about their jobs and the customers. Management was supportive and listened to suggestions.

Cons

It's a small company and the benefits weren't as generous as those offered by bigger companies. Staffers who don't pull their weight were allowed to stick around for too long, but that seemed to be slowly changing.

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Tax Analysts. We take pride in our culture and are glad you recognized it shining through in our employees and managers dedication. When it comes to our benefits, we aim to provide a solid package comparable to other non-profits in the DC area. We prioritize the total compensation offered to our staff and as a result, there were no increases for employee’s benefit costs in 2021. We offer three CareFirst plans – one of which is 100% company paid for the ‘employee only’ tier. We have two dental plans, including a top of the line MetLife plan with the highest dollar limit available on the market, and vision. We offer 5 weeks paid parental leave, employer paid short-term and long-term disability, 13 vacation days (to start), 13 sick days, and 10 ½ holidays, and other insurance options. Our employees are immediately vested in their 401Ks and we offer a 4% match. Thanks again for leaving this review!

"Promising Non-Profit Doomed by Upper Management and HR"

Former Employee - Editorial Specialist in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people are the best part of this job. Fantastic co-workers. - The pay is slightly better than the standard for this field. - There were so many pros before they started making random and unnecessary changes to the company policy and culture. As of now those two pros are all I can think of.

Cons

- Company policy and hiring process promised eventual telework. When a few of us signed up for it they quickly changed the policy, and even attempted to take away telework days from people who had it for over 15 years. This was done in coordination with a new HR chief who, get this, works from home 3 days out of the week. - Upper management is power hungry and does not listen to constructive criticism. There is one guy that pretty much makes all the decisions in the Editorial Department. He likes to think he's running a corporation instead of a non-profit and treats his employees as such. Makes a 180k+ salary with bonuses, but takes away peoples telework and makes changes to the company policy without actually making those changes in the official documentation. - This place consistently gets "Best Places to Work" awards, but that was before, when they had a culture of laid back, but hard working people. We were allowed to bring our dogs in. Now there's all these confusing rules about who can bring which dogs in when. This all changed when they hired a new HR chief who hates dogs apparently. - Terrible communication between upper management and staff. And when there is it is condescending, belittling language. They pretend to listen and care, then go behind your back to get your in trouble for speaking out. - Right now they gave out a survey, when the survey came back negative they decided to seek out the person who gave negative scores rather than address the issues brought up. - New CEO doesn't seem to care about any of this. Gives out some random awards, dinky gifts, and stale holiday parties, but rarely actually gets involved with the lower echelon of employees. - Doesn't take care of veteran employees who helped build departments in the company. In on specific example this was due to a move, where someone needed a better work-life balance situation, which they give to their tax lawyers and reporters, but scoffed at the idea of giving it to this employee forcing her to quit, ending a 20+ year career that helped earn the company millions in profit. This was also partly due to one of the worst cases of a manager in that departments history, who they sided with until the entire department quit. Then they removed that manager. - Consistently changing HR teams. HR acts like they're on your side, but really can't do anything because the HR chief is friends with upper management. There's more, but I think you get the point.

January 28, 2021Tax Analysts

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We’re proud of our people and team-oriented environment and are glad that you experienced that. Tax Analysts’ core values include respect for the individual, integrity, and work-life integration and we are proud to share our recognition as a Washington Post Top Workplace 2019, 2020 and Top Workplace USA 2021. Regarding the HR team, in early 2018 there was turnover – however a strong and robust team has consistently been in place since the end of 2018 and continues to thrive. There may be a misunderstanding about the Chief HR Officer – at the time of this review, she was a part-time employee who worked for TA two days a week and has since moved to three days a week. We pride ourselves on being flexible with work arrangements that benefit both the company and our employees. We have allowed telework with each department manager making their own individual call on what works for their team. Telework agreements are reviewed annually by the department head. Since March 2020, due to the pandemic, all employees have had the option to telework, and will through at least March 2021. Dogs in the office are a big part of TA’s relaxed culture, we allow dogs and will continue to do so! We celebrated National Dog Day in the office with a special event. Dogs interact differently with their environments, and too many dogs in limited space created an issue which resulted in guidelines to keep the work space safe and business-friendly for the employees and the dogs. Regarding the employee surveys – we responded to a similar concern in the answer to a review given on September 23. Thank you for your feedback.

"Great opportunity, enjoyed the work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work was interesting, appreciated the opportunity to advance within the company, people were friendly, culture was positive

Cons

Pay was average but fair

"Run Away Fast"

Former Employee - Editorial

I worked at Tax Analysts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not enough to outweigh the problems here.

Cons

Pretty dysfunctional work environment.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 English Reviews