Taylor Global "empire state building" Reviews | Glassdoor

Taylor Global Employee Reviews about "empire state building"

Updated 13 Apr 2018

2.0
Taylor Global CEO Tony Signore (no image)
Tony Signore
Pros
  • "The NYC headquarters location was wonderful- in the Empire State Building with all the amenities of Herald Square(in 4 reviews)

• "Work-life balance, again, depends on the team, but I rarely see many people at the office past 7pm every day(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is clueless, this place does not value employees at all(in 5 reviews)

• "Most of the managing partners are distant and out of touch(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "empire state building"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Seriously, It's Not As Bad As Everyone Says"

I have been working at Taylor Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Taylor for two years and, yes, the agency has gone through some tough times during that period. But working at Taylor isn't nearly as bad as the other reviews imply, so don't let that inform you decision to work here. Much of your experience depends on what teams you're on, as certain clients are much more demanding than others (especially if your time is 100% allocated to them). But that's... the same at any PR agency. Overall, if you do your work well and you're dedicated to the agency, the agency will give back to you. I can honestly say that work-wise, I've been very happy at Taylor and continue to receive new challenges and opportunities when I need a refresh. Not to mention we get to work with world-class brand names, which is a great addition to your resume. It's definitely not one of those places that hands things to you on a silver platter and you do need to ask for what you want, but that's to be expected in the work world. The PTO day package is extremely generous at 23 days (and counting, the longer you're there) and I've never had a problem taking all of them. Work-life balance, again, depends on the team, but I rarely see many people at the office past 7pm every day. The culture in NYC is pretty nonexistent, so it's become a place where you get your work done and leave, but I'll never complain about having my own office in the Empire State Building. I think Taylor has some of the smartest people in the business working for them, especially at the junior to mid levels. There's so much potential at this agency for powerhouse PR professionals, and I hope they recognize the extent to which that's true. Everyone I work with is whip smart and understands the current landscape. This is less true of the more senior staff, as they can be a bit stuck in the past, but they're usually supportive and open to new ideas if you speak up and voice them. I also appreciate the importance they place on career pathing, and have felt like I could be open with my supervisors about where I feel I stand at the agency, and seen changes made as a result. At the end of the day, success at Taylor seems to come down to fitting into the culture and deciding to invest in the agency. If you're a hard worker and take advantage of the opportunities offered (like the $1,000 grant they give us each year), you'll be well liked, valued and rewarded. It's all about the buy-in and keeping a positive attitude. It is what you make of it and, honestly, you're going to encounter these same kinds of problems at any business in any industry.

Cons

People have pointed out that there have been twice yearly layoffs, and that's mostly been correct. It's definitely been tough to lose valuable friends and colleagues, and has been the hardest thing I've had to reconcile with at Taylor. The amount of layoffs combined with the people who've left of their own free will have made the NYC office pretty empty, and the company culture has all but dissipated. The culture... when I started compared to now are like two completely different agencies. We also have no stable HR department, which is its own problem. There is a huge lack of diversity at the agency, which has gotten worse since I've been here. I used to think it was unusually diverse, but a lot of people of color have either quit or been fired. The managing partners are also all white men, which is awful for optics and leaves many women at the agency craving female leadership, especially in the NYC office. Most junior staff, on the other hand, are women. They won't give us the time between Christmas and New Year's off, which frankly feels arbitrary, and there are no summer Fridays. They say it's because of the generous 23+ days of PTO we get, but it feels like a vague excuse. Despite all of this, I don't think Taylor is any worse a place to work as far as PR agencies go. I've worked for far worse and at least feel respected and heard here. You just need to know how to speak up at Taylor, otherwise you'll fall through the cracks and be miserable grumbling about how nothing ever changes.

Advice to Management

Start a committee of lower level individuals who are committed to Taylor and want to help it overcome the obstacles listed below/above. Some of us actually want to help make change happen and not just complain, but there's no avenue for us to do so. It's not enough to be transparent about the state of the agency during town halls -- we need to feel like our voices are heard and valued all the time. Be more... sensitive to morale and what layoffs do to the agency's productivity as a result. As professionals, people understand the business reasons why these happen, but at the end of the day, we're still people who've lost friends and coworkers in a pretty dramatic fashion. Always be transparent about layoffs (which didn't happen once or twice and was horrible) and aware of the effect it has on teams. Please match our 401K contributions. Taylor is so much better than this. Rein in the CEO during town halls. I genuinely think he's a good guy and means well, but his rambling does not appeal him to his employees. It often feels like being reprimanded by a parent. Not to mention they go over by at least a half hour every time, which is a waste of valuable time for our clients.

Taylor Global2018-04-13

"If you're desperate for a job..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Taylor Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in the Empire State Building. Very exquisite. You can go up to the top and probably see the building you'll be working in at your next job.

Cons

If you're looking for a place with a lot of diversity, a place to grow and have long term plans, this isn't the place. By your second year you're either looking to leave or you got/going to get let go, the latter which has happened pretty often in the last year. I don't have an exact count but I know for sure I'd need another set of hands. Doesn't help that there's not much staff to begin with. If they tell you... there's no high turnover rate, it's a lie. They try to sell you on the fact that the "Managing Partners" have been there close to 30 years only because they lucked up and had the business handed down to them. I read that this was once a great place to work. You can even see that in some previous reviews. One of the reasons I joined on. Now the only ones still giving positive reviews are interns and people still drinking the Koolaid. The benefits aren't good and expensive at that. There is no 401k match. The CEO acts like he cares about you. Asks you "Why Taylor?" when you first get hired. Jokes with you and asks how's the family and all that nice stuff. Makes you feel like it's a tight knit group. Wrong. After a while the slick comments get added in the jokes. Probably thinking you're not smart enough to pick up on it. There is no real culture here. They don't even know who they want to be. You can tell just by walking around the office. Half of it is remodeled and the other half is dry and dull. Cut corners so much why even bother.

Advice to Management

Sell. You don't know what you're doing anymore.

Taylor Global2017-06-09
  3. "Great people"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Taylor Global

Pros

Amazing office in the empire state building... great people.

Cons

Working in the ESB can be a bit much

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Taylor Global2015-06-12

"A Good Stepping Stone"

I worked at Taylor Global full-time

Pros

The NYC headquarters location was wonderful- in the Empire State Building with all the amenities of Herald Square.

Cons

Everyone is replaceable. Non-competitive salary. Senior management does not care nor want to work with junior staff.

Advice to Management

Try to work with your junior staff. There was a reason they were hired. Instead of thinking to replace them right away, see what you can do better. Retention rate is terrible because of this.

Taylor Global2015-05-19