Teach for America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Elisa Villanueva Beard

Pros
  • Great professional development and experiences that open doors (in 99 reviews)

• Supervisors actually care about work-life balance as well as personal growth (in 21 reviews)

"Shameful"

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Nice laptop, very happy go lucky staff that were all about change, but didn't really know what they were doing.

Cons

Very poor management at TFA. I wish that there was more oversight of the managers and more training for managers to be better.

Advice to Management

I think that there should be less focus on hiring Corps members. They have limited experience.

"There are better ways to spend your time in the Ed Reform movement"

Former Employee - Program Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Program Director in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedule, good time off.

Cons

Lack of accountability from senior management (i.e. no consequences if one does not hit goals), Lack of a vision for the organization beyond recruitment of teachers, Lack of professionalism demonstrated by senior leadership. As a corps member, the job was great (which is what you read on these reviews); however, working for the organization did not advance professional growth as other jobs have in Ed Reform non profits.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your expectations, hold teachers and staff members accountable for goals, set a meaningful vision, cut down on the number of roles in the organization - there are too many layers in the organization, and build teacher retention as a priority so our kids can keep good teachers longer.

"High work, low pay, not family-friendly"

Current Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are helping me procure my teaching certificate. There are not many pros here, to be perfectly honest, not enough for a twenty word minimum! Not a great place to work.

Cons

Work 70 hours a week and it's still not enough, extra requirements through TFA and U of M, as if the requirements of teaching high school math were not enough. Expected to be available with no notice whatsoever.

5. "A beautifully wrapped package with a rotten apple inside"

Current Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Miami, FL

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- good resume builder
    - good work experience

Cons

-Cult like organizations with closed minded opinions

Advice to Management

Be more diverse

"Developing the "leaders" to close the achievement gap, but instead feels disorganized, disconnected, and disconnected."

Pros

Where there has been the introduction of great teachers into the profession and great leaders of schools and systems who would otherwise not have considered education, that's a benefit to the students in high needs communities who might not otherwise have access to that talent.

Cons

Incestuous. Lacks understanding about developing SMART goals. At the regional level puts leaders in place who may be smart, but who are not managers and then fails to develop them. Insular -- actions demonstrate that non-alumni have little value internally or externally.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage, develop your managers, recognize that you do not know everything and that others might have valuable insight.

"Do NOT Work in Information Technology Here"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Might be better than being unemployed. Might not. Depends on how abusive your manager is.

Cons

The IT Department is an absolute mess with an awful culture. In my 15 year career, it's the worst I've ever seen. Incredibly low morale. Incredibly high turnover. Verbal and psychological abuse from middle managers. Zero leadership from upper management who should step in and fire abusive people. I worked here for 4 (very long) months before returning to my former employer (a major university in NYC). During my 4 months, about 10 people left IT who worked in my area out of 50 people. Those who didn't leave were trying to leave. Now that I'm gone, former co-workers are asking me if there are any openings where I work.

Advice to Management

You need to change the awful culture in IT. People talk to each other like they're dirt. Make an example out of one of the abusive people and everyone else will fall in line. The worst part is that the abusive people are absolutely replaceable. They're not even talented.

"Teach for America prepared me very poorly and led to a year of agony for me and my students."

I have been working at Teach for America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teach for America is prestigious. That's about all I can say for it that's good. I thought it was a way to help poor communities, but with its poor preparation I can no longer say that.

Cons

The preparation is dreadful. Half the time is spent on vague reflection exercises to help you internalize "core values" that have no substantial relation to the job. Then you teach for a total of about 10-20 hours, often at a very different placement. Be prepared to have to make literally everything up from day one. I recommend visiting a classroom of your grade level several times and extensively as early as possible, especially before the year starts.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the reflection exercises and sermons on the core values. They are not helpful and waste time that could be spent on actual preparation. Also, please make sure to place people as close to their grade level as possible, even if that requires last minute switches.

"An organization defined by hubris"

Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - TFA Corps Member in Detroit, MI

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization invests a lot into its corps members financially; you get a whole lot of free training on transferrable skills...and help getting a job.

Cons

It's clear that the organization is more concerned with extending its own influence and reach than in actually helping children. It will do anything to get more corps members into a city, even when they are patently not needed (the ill-fated Seattle office is a great example), will lie to or mislead its corps members to get them to commit, and then will fail to deliver the promised support/resources to corps members once they start looking for a job or teaching.

"Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - Campus Campaign Coordinator
    Former Employee - Campus Campaign Coordinator

Pros

Pretty much the only pro of working with TFA is the name recognition and prestige...

Cons

Once you realize that your job is only worsening the problems in public schools, you don't want to be a part of it

Advice to Management

Maybe be honest? Don't make up recruitment numbers?

11. "Technology Team : Intoxicating place to work."

Former Employee - Technology Team in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technology Team in New York, NY

I worked at Teach for America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have some smart folks who have a lot of passion for the work. But, their energies need to be directed towards the bigger purpose of TFA.

Cons

Technology team is highly political. There are some senior IT folks sitting in the Bay area who are clueless about what's happening in the New York office. They make random decisions without knowing the ground reality. Extremely political atmosphere. Those aligned with top management are safe. Others are left to fend for themselves. Also, limited growth potential.

Advice to Management

Get to the ground level and get a feel of what's happening in the technology team. The economy's improved and tech folks who feel under-appreciated will not stay that long.