Teacher Retirement System of Texas Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Guthrie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Focused on the mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Teacher Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked in both public and private sector organizations, and this company's focus on the mission - serving public school employees - makes the job so much more special. The employees are hard working, dedicated, and really fun to be around. But honestly, their constant desire to take care of teachers makes this the best job I've ever had.

Cons

The work load can be fairly high and it is challenging to keep up with multiple projects and day to day tasks.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee feedback (groups meetings with the Executive Director are awesome), and don't forget that sometimes we need a break from the stress!

2. "Great place to serve the teachers of Texas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Plenty of resources, strong culture, path to advancement.

Cons

Still has the occasional bureaucracies of working for a state agency.

3. "Benefits Specialist III"

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Teacher Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular hours and flexible schedules. Doesn't require or take home work. Had a small gym and showers. People are friendly.

Cons

Can get tedious, as it's the same processes over and over again. Also, at time we were still working on an old system, but they were undergoing an overhaul when I left, so it might be better now. Low salaries, opportunities to advance but mostly based on seniority and not necessarily merit.

4. "TRS employees are my second family"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Those who have been at TRS only a short time or for decades will tell you the same thing: The agency is like a big family. I've found co-workers to be professional, yet caring and fun! Going to work is not a chore, it's something I enjoy.

Cons

It is downtown, so you have to deal with Austin's traffic, but that's the same for just about any place of employment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

5. "Good People"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager/Contractor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager/Contractor in Austin, TX

I worked at Teacher Retirement System of Texas (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really good people there.

Cons

Management which are afraid to do anything.

"Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Teacher Retirement System of Texas (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here. Nobody ever complains about anything, except maybe when the printer jams, because there's nothing else to complain about. Flat, supportive organizational structure (at least in my group), lots of professional development opportunities, great views from wall-sized windows in downtown Austin. Flexible schedule, as long as you get your work done. Open plan office supports collaboration. Work is generally interesting, and if it's not you can tell yourself it's all for the teachers and some people find that rewarding.

Cons

Nothing really to report here. I guess we had a printer giving us trouble for a while until it got fixed. Jimmy Johns in the ground floor is always a tough dilemma because it's so temptingly convenient but then you remember it tastes like Jimmy Johns and you've eaten there too many times to want to eat there again, but you're not sure you want to wait in the line out the door for Chipotle. It's easy to regret your decision either way. I guess that's a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe raise comp a bit more than you were going to otherwise...Maybe publicize open jobs more so that we attract more good people faster.

"Working at TRS has been a fulfilling and positively reinforcing professional experience."

Current Employee - Teacher Retirement Systems of Texas in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher Retirement Systems of Texas in Austin, TX

Pros

Sense of enablement provided senior management, mutual respect among team members, work-life balance, diversity of background among employees, willingness to collaborate across divisions, unified sense of purpose and fiduciary obligation, broad offering of professional development programs

Cons

Frequency of turnover at various employee levels

8. "Great place to work. Has won accolades for being a great employer."

Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Teacher Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

State benefits and great retirement package.

Cons

state regulations and beaurcracy can be frustrating.

"Strong State Employer but public"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Teacher Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full attention of Wall Street, large assets, nice offices, great systems, solid performance, bonus system, great place to train yourself

Cons

Mother May I attitude to investing, blame goes only down-hill, rigid senior management needs constant verbal support, politics more important than performance, performance guidelines very subjective effecting bonus, longevity key to promotions

Advice to Management

Consider taking a good small firm in-house to reduce fees. Reduce fees for beta. "Shadow" a group for a month to see if management is harnessing all the available talent.

"Limited room for career advancement or salary upside."

Current Employee - Senior Investment Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Investment Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Teacher Retirement System of Texas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work life balance which is encouraged from the top. Generally friendly people as your co-workers. Defined benefit pension is worth more than most people value.

Cons

Limited room for career growth as folks at the top have very cushy jobs/salaries causing much dead weight. Advancement is not based on merit but other factors. Lots of bureaucracy and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the upper to middle management and see just what value add is received for the high salary being paid out. Create better career growth.