Teachers Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated May 19, 2020

3.6
Teachers Federal Credit Union CEO and President  Brad Calhoun
Brad Calhoun
Pros
  • "Great place to work-- depending on the department(in 6 reviews)

• "Staff is friendly, management cares about their employees, and it overall, a great work environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management didn't listen to staff, members were more respected than the employees(in 4 reviews)

• "Branch managers run each branch differently with different policies, no consistency(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Place to Work and a Workplace that Inspires Positive Corporate Culture"

Current Employee - Administration in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Positive values, relaxed and productive atmosphere, commitment to excellence, open and honest communication, cooperation, support, and empowerment, flexibility. What also is important to me is the compassion, respect, and understanding towards employees and members.

Cons

Technology needs to be upgraded to meet the needs of the employees as well as the members.

September 27, 2019Senior Staffing Specialist

Thank you for over 10 years of service at Teachers! I’m excited for our future, and your review reinforces our commitment to being the best place to work and bank on Long Island. I agree with your advice to ‘stay the course’ and we’ll do just that. We’ll continue to help grow our teammates and improve our technology to deliver an improved employee and member experience. I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts—we’re all in this together!

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Financial Services Manager in Amityville, NY

Pros

Cares about their staff and making sure that the environment is positive and enjoyable.

Cons

Hard to fill open position in a timely manner.

April 10, 2020Social Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! Our goal of being the best place to work relies on empowering our team to share their goals and ideas on how to make that happen, so we appreciate your thoughts. You’re a vital part of our team and we appreciate all you do!

"Great experience and amazing co workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pension, 401k, paid time off

Cons

Many unfulfilled promises. New CEO likes to make many promises and then completely change course.

May 22, 2020President & CEO

Thank you for your open and constructive feedback. As you mentioned, it is our goal to make Teachers the Best Place to Work, and we are looking to make that happen through many different initiatives and employee offerings. Changing an organizational culture takes time, but ultimately, it begins with listening to our employees and members on how we can best improve. Over the last year, we have been laying the groundwork for our evolution. We have made enhancements in direct response to the feedback we heard from the 2019 employee engagement survey as well as from the numerous direct discussions we’ve had with employees in roundtables and 1:1 meetings. When I first joined the organization, I did share that we would be evaluating salaries for roles that may not be within the proper market ranges. You may recall that in January we issued organization-wide raises as part of the compensation process. Keep in mind, base pay is just one component of the total compensation we offer, which also includes health benefits, pension, 401K, loan discounts, longevity bonus, paid time off and more. I would welcome a conversation with you to discuss this further. My door is always open to meet in person, by phone, or you can feel free to send me an email. I thank you for your dedication to making Teachers a great place to work, and the best credit union in the US. It is clear that you care about where we are going, and I really appreciate that. -Brad

4. "Empowering Employees!"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Hauppauge, NY

Pros

Teachers has undergone an energizing refresh! With a greater focus on the Employee Experience with an emphasis on development, it's an exciting time to be a part of this growing institution. New leadership is very hands-on and communicative with all areas. Teachers is investing in its people and it shows!

Cons

Could use some improvement on the tech/system side; however, that being said--there are updates on the horizon to improve both the Employee's experience as well as the Member's experience.

April 10, 2020Social Media Specialist

Thank you for over 10 years of service, and for all that you do as part of the Training team to help our employees grow and develop! We appreciate you taking the time to reach out and share about your experience at Teachers. As you mentioned, we’re committed to improving technology, and we’re excited with what’s on the horizon for our members and employees. Thanks again for reaching out!

5. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Part Time Teller in South Setauket, NY

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall a nice place to work for, co-workers were nice! Training was very helpful and they did everything to help new employees with the transition.

Cons

sometimes, the sales requirements can be hard to catch up to but they will help you with it as well so no cons basically.

April 10, 2020Social Media Specialist

Thanks for reaching out! We’re glad to hear that your on-boarding and training courses have helped create a positive experience at Teachers. Our Operations leadership and Training teams are committed to providing the best tools and resources to help employees succeed. We strongly encourage you to talk to your manager about training or development opportunities available to help you reach your goals. Again, thank you for being a part of our team!

6. "Great place"

Current Employee - Outside Mortgage Originator

Pros

Feedback to our new CEO has already brought many great changes to the credit union. He plans on revamping our whole brand to make it more employee and member focused by updating many parts of the credit union. Great place to work

Cons

Systems are outdated which is being updated

December 24, 2019Digital Marketing Analyst

We're glad to hear that you've seen the improvements we're all working to implement! While some of our systems are outdated, as you noted, we are bringing them up to date with an eye to the future to not only meet our employee's and member's expectations, but to exceed them.Thank you for being with us during this time of improvement and innovation and for bringing your excitement to work with you!

7. "Bethpage Federal is way better"

2.0
    Former Employee - FSR1 in Riverhead, NY

I worked at Teachers Federal Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are great and the day goes by fast.

Cons

You really need to be a fast learner on their backwards PC systems, if not the DM will get rid of you.

January 24, 2020Vice President

I'm disappointed to hear about your experience at TFCU. Since joining the credit union in June, one of the top priorities has been the employee experience, and in 2020, we have some dedicated initiatives planned to help address training, systems and processes. I appreciate the time you took out of your day to share about areas we can improve. This type of feedback helps us become the best place to work. - Brad Calhoun, President and CEO

8. "Great Organization to work for."

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Hauppauge, NY

Pros

Compensation as a whole. DBP, 401k w/match, Medical retirement plan. Tuition Reimbursement, to name a few.

Cons

Overall communication throughout departments. However, Executive Management is working on breaking down silos.

October 22, 2019Senior Staffing Specialist

Thanks for sharing your experience at TFCU on Glassdoor. I'm thrilled you recognize the value of our benefit offerings and the work we're doing to enhance communications across the credit union. In the coming weeks, you'll continue to see improvement in the information and support you're getting across the board. I look forward to hearing more feedback as we build a culture and workplace we can all be proud of! - Brad

9. "Disappointed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hauppauge, NY

I have been working at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

401k is great, medical plan is amazing, great pay and career development is really great too. We just got a new CEO and he seems to have a lot of new ideas for the company which I am really excited about because we needs big changes. We have basically been stuck in the 80’s, technology and work wise. There are a few amazing and inspiring branch managers who over the years have helped me grow and develop as both and employee and as an individual and really want to see you advance.

Cons

Well for starters, there are waayyy too many branch managers who micromanages, we all work together and too many of them believe the branch employees work for them, it should be a team effort to make everything run smoothly. There is barely any communication between departments. Upper management is honestly what has made me very dissatisfied as an employee working for this company, they look and treat you as just a number not as an individual. There is way too much gossip and drama which makes this company culture pretty toxic. The training department is honestly a joke. Yes they train you to advance but I’ve been working here for years and every training class I have attended thus far, the trainers do nothing but laugh and talk and then have their friends from other departments come in and disrupt the class and then the employees go back to the branches not fully taught in their position which leads to a lot of errors. Also it seems to be a who you know basis as well when it comes to advancement, Ive seen people who have only worked here for 3 months advance faster than other because they have family members working here as well.

September 27, 2019Senior Staffing Specialist

We’re sorry to hear about your experience, as we strive to create a great experience for all employees. With our new focus and leadership, we recognize improvements are needed and we appreciate your time to share your thoughts. We’ll pass along your comments to our new CEO, Brad, as he continues to look for ways to enhance training, communication and collaboration.

10. "Career Building"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative

I have been working at Teachers Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to build resume

Cons

Weekend hours were very long

September 27, 2019Senior Staffing Specialist

Thank you for your service and feedback. We’ll share your thoughts with our Operations team.

Found 72 reviews