Teachers on Reserve Reviews | Glassdoor

Gay Hennessy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Many Pros, Some Cons"

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time

Pros

I have worked with Teachers On Reserve off an on since the company began in the early 1990's, and I have had many beneficial experiences as an educator as a result. I have worked in a wider variety of school settings than I would have imagined possible, private and charter, and have had the opportunity to see and experience the best and worst of both.

I have been hired as a full-time teacher twice over the years as a result of Teachers On Reserve assignments; once the schools get to know you, they can request you for frequent, long-term, and permanent assignments.

As semi-retired teacher now, I have the ability to design my own schedule, and work as little or as much as I choose, as well as decide which assignments I am willing to accept, based on my experience at any given school. The staff is very receptive and listens to concerns and feedback about school assignments.

Cons

Hourly pay is relatively low, and the company does not offer direct deposit, though they have said that they are "looking into it". Having to deposit checks into a bank is very inconvenient, and living in an area with inconsistent mail service, this can be something of a challenge.

I do wish that teaching experience and flexibility of subject matter were considered more highly, as opposed to state credentialed or not, in terms of pay.

Advice to Management

As many teachers with long-term private school experience may not have state credentials, it would be a great asset if length and breadth of teaching experience were more highly considered in terms of pay scale.

"Easy work, inconsistent scheduling and rude staff"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Oakland, CA

I worked at Teachers on Reserve part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Working on call means some days you don't have to work!
    + Flexible schedule, you choose the days you will accept assignments or not.
    + The work is easy, nobody expects subs to really DO much, this sort of goes without saying.

Cons

- Working on call means some days you don't have to work... and also don't get paid.
    - Staff is VERY pushy about accepting assignments, even though they claim not to be (i.e., calling me for a two-day assignment 40 miles from my house in Bay Area traffic and basically demanding I take it).
    - Pay is LOW... started at $15/hour, so for a full day sometimes you're paid $40 less than what most districts (in the Bay Area) will shell out for a sub.
    - Headquartered in LA, so very distant if you aren't located there and you need something in a timely manner.
    - No support for in-class issues like curriculum and/or staff issues.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and allow them to say NO to assignments they don't feel comfortable taking! Offer raises if they stay with the company after a certain amount of time.

Teachers on Reserve Response

May 5, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your feedback - it's important to us. I'm sorry that you feel you were treated rudely or pushed into taking assignments. That's definitely not our policy.

The only time we expect a... More

"Great for freelance artists/writers or those between jobs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Pay is decent (though raises could be better and more frequent), and the job itself is quite pleasant. You get to encounter different kinds of schools and learn a lot about teaching styles/management. Also great if you need flexibility--I take a lot of days off for my writing, but can easily double down when finances are tight, etc. I'm trained as a professor, so this also helps me keep my teaching wheels running while I look for university teaching jobs.

Cons

"Dispatchers"can scold you like you're an undisciplined child any time you make a mistake or press on an issue (like when you ask them to find out if the school has parking, etc.). For example, they breathe impatiently on the line while I am supposed to hurriedly look up an address and check for convenience. I know they are busy fielding many calls, BUT since they don't compensate for travel time or parking difficulties, I don't appreciate the rudeness.

No direct deposit, which is annoying

No benefits and raises are literal pennies.

Advice to Management

Your subs are going out of their way to a NEW environment everytime, especially the newbies. If someone doesn't want to drive 45 miles or take 90 minutes of public transport, respect that. OR pay them extra for the trouble.

"Temporary Work"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Well organized, digital, speedy response to concerns

Cons

No direct pay, low-pay for a job that requires you to have a BA, refuse to give references so you can get a better job, rarely know in advance if you'll have work, no compensation for travel time (which can be 2-3 hours in LA), raise is 30 CENTS an hour after SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY hours of work

5. "Inbetween jobs or try out teaching to see if you like it ?"

Former Employee - Educator Full Time Un Tenured Though in Kinston, NC
    Former Employee - Educator Full Time Un Tenured Though in Kinston, NC

Pros

They do provide a minimum of training for the job, and will call you just as often or not often as you so desire

Cons

Can be quite unforgiving if you are tardy. When I worked there they lacked opportunities for professional development, but then some of the districts and community colleges are a little lax on this point as well--not the same as in Colorado, where even part timers are REQUIRED to develop their own professional development multi-year plans!

Advice to Management

Reach out more in job fairs and not just k-12, but community college job fairs as well

"A steady job in education with a flexible schedule"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at TOR for almost a year and a half. It took me a few months to settle in, but now I keep myself available 4 or 5 days a week and usually get work. Dispatch staff are friendly and helpful; for anyone thinking of working for TOR, just be mindful of their time during the busiest hours, avoid canceling on assignments you've accepted (especially last minute), and let them know if you're running late. If you're communicative and considerate, then this is a great opportunity whether you're thinking of pursuing a full-time career in education, or you just want a job that gives you flexibility.

Cons

If you're not prepared to get a phone call at 6:00 am and be out the door by 6:20, then this isn't for you.

7. "Teachers on Reserve"

Pros

I had been a teacher for almost 20 years before I decided to become a substitute teacher with Teachers on Reserve. I have been working with them for almost 5 years now and it has been a fabulous experience. They have sent me to great schools and I have gotten the opportunity to work with highly qualified teachers and administrators and wonderful students. I decide the days I want to work and the schedule gives me flexibility to work on other projects. The TOR team in the office is exceptional. It is more like a family than a business, but as a business TOR is professional and dedicated. You get to know the people in the office and you know that they are really working for you. They do their best to find jobs close to your home and find a job that matches your qualifications. If you are a teacher it is a great way to experience several different schools and grade levels. If you want to supplement your income while working on other projects it is a great way to go as well. If you are thinking of becoming a teacher it is a great way to see first hand what schools are doing and to “get your foot in the door”.

Cons

No matter where you work, you always want to make a little bit more money.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Professional and Courteous Employer."

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve (More than a year)

Pros

Teachers on Reserve is a professional and courteous employer.There are no mysteries or uncertainties when working for TOR.

Cons

I have not encountered any CONS while working for TOR.

"Great job for educators and artists alike!"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Teachers on Reserve part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teachers on Reserve has provided me, as an aspiring actor and writer, a wonderful opportunity to balance steady work with freedom to pursue the arts. I can work as much as I desire, with a great hourly wage, at a number of schools around LA. If I need the hours, I never have a problem getting them. If I need time off, it is as easy as saying I am unavailable. For someone who may be an aspiring teacher, this is also a great job for the doors that it will open for you, and the invaluable practice of working in a classroom setting.

Cons

The only con for someone who might also be an artist - if you can't do early hours, this is not for you!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It is great to be a part of a company like this. Thank you TOR!

"Like to teach? then give this one a chance!"

Former Employee - Twice Retired Teacher, Still Semi-retired Only in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

If you substitute teach as I do, for the love of teaching and the love of children, then you want to work as many days of the week as you can without becoming overwhelmed with TOO MUCH work. I found that this organization will provide you with 3 to 4 good days of substitute teaching if you really want to work that much!

Cons

They strictly enforce on-time showing up at your assignment and will definitely drop you after too many tardies, even excused tardies

Advice to Management

Recruit more heavily, such as at district and regional job fairs for teachers!