Teaching Strategies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Kai-leé Berke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing people, beautiful mission, wonderful employee engagement!"

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time

Pros

- Lots of great people
    - Quality products
    - Tons of employee engagement opportunities (lots of fun!)
    - Great location
    - Really strong lower management team making things happen

Cons

- Sometimes tech products could use more development time

Advice to Management

- Needs a bit more work-life balance, it would be great if upper management did not email in the evenings and on weekends unless urgent

"Falling Fast"

Pros

Great mission to help early childhood, company started off right but now is declining everyday. Good curriculum, nice looking office

Cons

Senior leadership is out of touch with employees, If you are not apart of the CEO’s best friends club you will not be promoted no matter how well you do. Terrible decision making, promotions to people who do not deserve it or even worse has no experience ever in doing that job. If you are a friend of the CEO you can be a associate and less than 6 months later you can be a executive. If you’re a friend you can totally mess up (like fireable offense) and you will be promoted because it’s not your fault that that happened the people you manage are the problem. If you go against the SLT way of thinking even if you’re right you will be fired. Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and promote people who deserve it and not your friends.

"Software Engineer hell"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Developers working with you are great (the only reason this company stays afloat)

Cons

Be prepared to enter in a ColdFusion codebase nightmare: nobody wants to use ColdFusion nowadays, but if you are going to work here as software engineer eventually you have to, and no one tells you that during an interview; 60% of the entire codebase is ColdFusion.

You are not going to learn new skills, you will learn how to constantly patch broken/old software in an unorganized environment.

The use of solid and mature software frameworks is discouraged: everything is custom made in house, therefore no consistency across code. The bad thing is that it is a recognized negative behavior, but there is no willing to change this mentality.

Every piece of codebase has a collection of unwritten rules that only low level engineers have to abide by, but "inner circle" engineer have the power to bend at will w/o accountability.

Technical Debt is grossly overused/abused and constantly pushed under the carpet creating a patch-based code development (more than a year and still no tech debt repay plan in sight).

There is no clear software development plan/roadmap: CTO and tech managers have no real plan/idea on what to do for the next 6 months, after more than a year asking for a simple roadmap software development plan the only answer has been "we're working on it and we'll have it and share it in the next month"... still nothing. The only short-term plan I've witnessed was to make the CEO happy by changing the logo and having more testers working for a while.

After a year of promises to address what's broken, none of them were addressed.

As a former colleague used to say to describe the software development at Teaching Strategies: "you can always put some fancy icing on a rotten cake, but at it's core it's still a rotten cake".

Advice to Management

- Change CEO
    - Better management by building a solid software development strategy

4. "Great Place with Great Folks--Work Here If You Can!!"

Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If making a difference is important to you, this is the place for you. The company is transparent and encourages creativity.

Cons

The location leaves a little to be desired if you don't take the metro.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. As long as the focus remains on bettering the early education, you will continue to shine.

5. "Great Mission, Promising Future"

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As someone who's been working at this organization for less than a year, I have been very impressed with the culture and the group of talented people that I work with on a daily basis. The environment encourages innovation and collaboration. I have learned a tremendous amount since I've been working here and hope to continue my professional growth.

Cons

As with most growing organizations, there can sometimes be a lack of structure and processes. In the time I've been here, we've been working to create that structure. There was a definite need for professional development for employees. I'm happy that recent initiatives have added a little bit of that. I would like for that to continue and be embraced company wide.

Advice to Management

Encourage cross departmental collaboration, expand professional development for employees, develop a culture where all employees have the opportunity to excel and be recognized for their work.

"Wonderful company, wonderful mission"

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Teaching Strategies for more than five years, and while there have been challenging times (what workplace doesn't have them?), I stay because I truly believe in the mission of the company and the values held by the senior leadership team. Not only is it a company founded by a woman, it currently has strong, fearless woman as the CEO, and that's extremely important to me as a working mom.

The purpose of Teaching Strategies is to make the work lives of ECE teachers (who are predominantly female) better, and I truly believe we do that. We had a few years where members of our leadership team weren't ECE people--they had never spent any time in the classroom. I truly believe that having that experience of being in the classroom, knowing what teachers NEED, is what makes Teaching Strategies such a different company to work for.

All companies and employers have their downside--it's the nature of "work." If you find a place where your values align with the company's and you believe in the work you're doing and the products you're developing, then that's a good thing. You can't find that everywhere, and I've worked in many different companies across many different fields. When you find it, you bring your best to the company. And at Teaching Strategies, it's rewarded.

Cons

The open work environment can be challenging to those with sensory issues, but mgmt is more than willing to make accommodations when needed.

7. "Meaningful work in a supportive atmosphere"

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time

Pros

It isn't every day that you get to have a positive, long-lasting impact on someone's life. When that "someone" is a young, inquisitive child who may be growing up in difficult circumstances, the opportunity to maximize her chances for learning what she needs to know to become a happy and productive adult is difficult to quantify. In my time at Teaching Strategies, the mission has never fallen victim to the bottom line. Rather, I've seen a reinvigorated sense of purpose with the current CEO and what I can only describe as genuine affection for the folks who are doing the hard work and the folks who are benefiting from it. There's no question that the company has lofty goals and aggressive deadlines. For those who see this culture as collegial and energizing, the opportunities are endless and the rewards are many. For those who find it oppressive, you've read their reviews here. Personally, have worked in a variety of industries and in some pretty amazing roles, and I can honestly say that this is one of the best places I have ever worked.

Cons

I don't see this as a "con," but you will work hard (albeit on very interesting projects). Communication of timeline drivers and other external factors affecting the business could be more transparent.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the talented folks within your walls. Make staff development opportunities and career advancement a priority.

"Purpose driven work with a work life balence"

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having been at TS for several years, I have seen the organization go through many leadership changes. I joined this company because it is a successful company that does meaningful work. Our new CEO not only has a wealth of knowledge about the early childhood field, but leads our ever growing company into new opportunities, maintaining our goals and mission. Additionally, the focus of work life balance is greatly appreciated. The understanding that everyone at the organization has a personal life is understood and encouraged! Overall, it's a great company, with many opportunities for growth and professional development.

Cons

The company is growing very quickly! Sometimes it can feel overwhelming, but in the current economy, having a company that grows consistently over time, is something to appreciate.

"More than just a 9-5"

I have been working at Teaching Strategies full-time

Pros

Inspiring mission, talented and dynamic leadership, brilliant co-workers, and a really cool office.

Cons

natural growing pains and a particularly hectic "busy-season"

Advice to Management

Constantly and consistently recommit to what makes Teaching Strategies great.

"All that glitters is not gold..."

I worked at Teaching Strategies full-time

Pros

The new work space is beautiful
    There are many company events, parties, happy hours, etc
    Plenty of opportunity for growth and variety in the company

Cons

Positions are given to friends rather than those qualified for the jobs
    You're moved around within the company and given new job titles/descriptions frequently. Your job may be there one week and gone the next
    You're not given a lot of feedback or support until it's "too late"
    Management likes to play the blame game and find those at fault for any failure

Advice to Management

Communication is key to success. When there is a problem, face it directly rather than sweeping things under the rug or placing blame on one person.
    Also, a strong foundation is necessary to build upon. The revolving door of employees is creating a domino effect for the company as well.