Teavana Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

2.3
Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Commission, free tea every shift, customers are pretty fun (in 210 reviews)

• Free tea to drink while you're working (in 39 reviews)

Cons

"Chill environment, great coworkers - may depend on location"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed uniform policy, 30% discounts on everything in Teavana and Starbucks (as it is a Starbucks company), and the product really is great. Also, even as a part-time worker, I got shares from Starbucks - did not get any healthcare benefits or performance reviews during my 9 months there, though.

Cons

It's not quite commissioned work, but you do get "bonuses" based upon selling a certain amount. Depending on your coworkers/ management and how they choose to interpret the "sales process," you can be placed at a disadvantage (because you're never stationed at the sales counter, for example).

Advice to Management

Encourage integrity among workers; maybe revamp the way the sales process works at some locations - not sure if other Teavana's "zoned" the way ours did.

"Area Managers Need Training & Maturity"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product, free tea, Starbucks markouts, education

Cons

Area managers are woefully untrained, insecure and vindictive. If Teavana matched Starbucks management competencies, it would improve so much. Appreciate the people you have in-store that are working so hard.

Advice to Management

The president has a great understanding of where Teavana needs to go, however the message isn't carried down and executed to the area managers. They are rude, under educated and insecure. It's not a good way to grow a business that's floundering under poor mid-management.

"Eh."

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana full-time

Pros

Free tea to drink, fun people to work with.

Cons

I get it we all have sales goal to make and the store needs to make money. But the are manager for socal is extremely condescending. Everyone I know is leaving, HUGE turn over rate! don't recommend unless you are a high school student or a college student.

Advice to Management

Be passionate and work with you team. Some want to make this a career but its impossible when you have people that just don't care.

4. "Expect Little"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All pros essentially come from Starbucks. Free pound of coffee a week, kcups, or whatever tea tine they have at Starbucks (you can't make out tea from Teavana). You get to work with some good people. Free tea while working. You also get 30% off as a partner.

Cons

The job is essentially a giant con. Don't expect to work much, or get paid much. In that sense, it's great if you have to go to school or something, but don't expect a lot of money. There is an incentive bonus to have you sale more, the more you sale, the more your bonus check is. However, that leaves you to have to become a used car salesman. Your sales are what matter. Sale more, you get more shifts. Sales are important here. You get a daily goal based on what the store's goal for the day is. Depending on the store, you could sometimes meet it. It's really a matter of being at the right place, at the right time. Working as a team isn't promoted. Although some partners will help each other out, there are others that are cut throat. They will steal your sales or leech on to a big sale you have, just to get some money in themselves. Or they will outright fart in front of you. Cleanliness isn't a huge priority. There are no real cleaning supplies, just soap and off-brand windex. Not even reusable cloth towels. Why clean when you can role play a sale? Why spend money on having cleaning supplies?

There is a lot of micromanagement, which I assume is trickle down. Managers have to sit through pointless meetings that cover the same thing week after week, nightly emails about what we sold, how many pitchers, what we could improve on, what we did well in, etc. I overheard meetings sometimes, and it honestly was self congratulatory and pompous; nothing gets done and they wasted an hour.

Then there is the corporate element. If you expect to go anywhere with the company, you should stop now. They will use you when they need to, but not give you any promotions or raises. Because why pay their employees more when they are doing more? That's absurd. Their elaborate marketing campaigns, which I am sure they spend tens of dollars on, seem like they were thrown together last minute by some tired intern. Case in point: they misspelled "oolong" on one of their corporate sent posters.

Advice to Management

Do some market research to know what will successfully sell and keep selling it. If it sells, that means it's good. Pay your employees a better wage. Hire from within instead of wasting partners' time by teasing a carrot in front of them. Less micromanaging. Have better training for new employees. Care about cleanliness.

"It's Retail"

Current Employee - Team Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teavana (Less than a year)

Pros

Free tea on shift, starbucks markouts, fun work environment. The staff is really great.

Cons

There can be some favoritism. Hours based on sales performance but usually short shifts and few days.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your team and promote from within.

"field manager"

Current Employee - Field Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teavana (More than 5 years)

Pros

30% discount, great tea, Great training tools with Block cards, work independently, lap top and ipad use in the field, great co-workers and some very long time partners who are loyal to the brand.

Cons

You work 7 days a week. Literally! daily conference calls sometimes too many in a day, no notice from upper management for calendar changes or visits. The state of the business is not good. A lot of high stress. No work life balance. Executives are hiring outside the company to fill all positions thinking it will save the business. Company has gone through 4 Vice presidents in 2 years. It appears executives are throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks. Its very sad considering Teavana use to be a great place to work and since the Starbucks buy-out the company has gone down hill. Company will be downsizing but no one wants to talk about that nor notify field management when stores will close.

Advice to Management

Tell us what's really going on don't beat around the bush. If upper management expects us to work 7 days a week then make that up with pay. With hours we put in we might as well be a barista at Starbucks. Have incentives for upper management since no one is making a bonus. Change the bonus system and field leaders will be more motivated to turn around the business. Pay us what Starbucks upper management makes and treat us as = and not the Teavana red headed step child of Starbucks. Working us 7 days a weeks will not turn around the business. Even God rested on the 7th day. This just turns partners to despise the job and look for employment outside the company.

7. "Heavy sales job that is fun"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good People
    Great Tea
    30% Discount on Teavana and Starbucks, plus free mark outs from Starbucks.

Cons

Heavy driven sales
    Don't make sales and you get your hours shortened until you do.
    Super annoying meetings.

Advice to Management

Don't make the schedules and promotions based sorely on one's numbers but instead, a combination of numbers and customer service factors.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great team to work with.

Cons

Sales goals are hard during the slow months of the year

9. "Very positive with room to grow from within."

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast past and dynamic work environment. Opportunities to bonus each month. Great benefits and high rate of promotion from within.

Cons

Sometimes stressful goals. Performance based heavily on foot traffic and uncontrollable situations.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in and develop your team. Constant communication and transparency is key.

10. "High pressure sales made working there horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can drink all the tea you want for free while working.

Cons

Every employee is required to memorize a script and stick to it, NO MATTER WHAT! You are expected to take EVERY customer through a tour of the store that begins with the most expensive item in the store (the cast iron tea set), and and ends up at the counter with the employee pouring tea into a 1 pound container and pushing up to 5 times (it's in the manuel that people need to hear new information 5 times) to get them to purchase so that they can save a whole 10%. You want to save money, right? We were required to say that too.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employees and customers to take the scripted tour of the store that pushes high priced items. Stop forcing employees to push the 1 pound tin which degrades customers that either don't want to or can't afford to spend over $100 for tea.