Teavana Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Teavana CEO Andrew T. Mack
Andrew T. Mack

Pros
  • Commission, free tea every shift, customers are pretty fun (in 199 reviews)

• Free tea to drink while you're working (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • the sales goals for each shift should be team and not individual as many team members are too aggressively trying to sell which can scare off customers (in 97 reviews)

• Sales process is pretty intensive (in 59 reviews)

1. "Teavana"

Former Employee - Tea Salesmen
    Former Employee - Tea Salesmen

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating to hours and understanding of Part-Time employees

Cons

You don't get the same benefits as someone who is Full-Time and that is because you aren't considered a Full-Time employee if you aren't a type of manager.

2. "Depends on what location"

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits (20 hr./wk for ASU online and insurance)
    -5% 401k match
    -30% discount at Teavana and Starbucks
    -Monthly 1% sales bonus (can be 2% or 3% depending on business)
    Now that Teavana is integrating more with Starbucks there are new changes that make the sales process less pushy. However, the expectations are higher.

Cons

-Limited hours (certain locations)
    -Some higher ups have different values than the company

"Teavana"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people I worked with are nice

Cons

I found out by calling that I had already had my last day

Advice to Management

My advice to Management is to tell seasonal employees there last day. So the people are not startled, when they call for next weeks schedule only to be told you don't work here anymore.

"Great People, Good Work, Bad Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer base, products, discounts & benefits, flexibility

Cons

Overly competitive sales "goals" for products that are too expensive for most impulse buys.

Advice to Management

If I were less worried about making goals so I can keep my hours, I would be a more natural salesperson and inevitably find more success in selling products.

"A fun part-time job"

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

-Relaxed work environment
    -Sales expectations and goals were laid out clearly
    -Encouraged to drink lots of the tea

Cons

-Had to stick to a sales script, which was previously tested, but there were times when it might have been better to sway from it, but that wasn't encouraged

7. "A great work environment"

Former Employee - Tea Associate/Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tea Associate/Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Teavana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy tea, this is the place for you. Honestly my favorite part time job so far.

Cons

You have to know your stuff in order to sell. Keeping up with the different promotions.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "A good Start"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Teavana part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starbucks discount 30%
    Insurance for part time

Cons

They are only part time.
    The bonus is only 1%

Advice to Management

The company is always changing.

"Teavana: A Great Place to Increase Your Knowledge of Tea and Skills as a Salesperson"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Teavana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Constantly learning about tea (flavour, origin, health benefits, etc.) and how to brew it
    -Challenges you to be more outgoing and figure out how to work with different personalities
    -Decent employee benefits (weekly Starbucks mark-outs on coffees and teas, sales bonuses, employee discounts, ability to seek a university degree via Phoenix University at a heavily discounted price, if not for free depending upon your standing as a student, etc.)
    -Decent hourly pay
    -Good opportunities for promotions in the company
    -Yearly performance reviews which (if you've been a good employee) result in a raise to your hourly wage

Cons

-General managers not always held fully accountable by upper management, and upper management seems reluctant to listen to employees beneath the general managers (i.e. AGMs, Team Leads, Team Members)
    -Expectations from employees to meet sales goals in dead malls often too high, which puts unnecessary stress on all team members
    -Meeting sales goals to make bonus is often more difficult than not due to low volume stores/locations or reluctant beverage-only customers
    -Recommended sales tactics are often intimidating to customers and can ruin the experience for them due to the pressure they are made to feel to buy something (though, this may have changed since I was employed at Teavana), which, in turn, ends up with either no sales made at all, or a sale is made, but the customer will later return the items after being able to go home and think clearly about the purchase

Advice to Management

1. Be more willing to listen to your non-managers and assistant managers, as they are trying to give input which can lead to a more successful, positive environment.
    2. Hold general managers accountable for their attitudes and decisions (over-scheduling was a common issue at my location, as well as harshly cutting one's hours because of personal issues with an employee and also improving another member's hours/overlooking performance issue because of favoritism).
    3. Make better use of Team Leads for their strengths (e.g. if a Lead is a strong organizer/information processor, allow him or her more control over operations-based matters), and make sure AGMs don't have their work experiences overlooked--they are skilled and should be utilized to their fullest potential.
    4. Make sure team members are being encouraged to sell based off of customers' needs rather than off of pressure to meet sales goals. This will lead to happier repeat customers and fewer returns, which equals higher revenues across the board in the long run.
    5. Be sure that any employee receives adequate coaching and verbal warning from the GM should his or her performance begin to slack BEFORE writing that member up to management. Having received no mention of performance issues from the GM and then suddenly being told that one is going to be written up is both demoralizing to that employee and harmful to the business relationship between that employee and the manager.

10. "A little more effort than your standard retail job"

I worked at Teavana part-time

Pros

Good experience in working under the pressure of commission.

Cons

Can be a bit bit stressful to meet personal sales goals assigned by the manager.

11. "Too much change in a short time."

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Teavana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All the tea you can drink on shift. Starbuck discount. Shares of company. ASU paid college for 1st bachelors degree.

Cons

Micro managment. Expectations of increased sales with lesser cost merch release.

Advice to Management

Upper level management needs to invest in thier loyal teams.