Tech Data Reviews | Glassdoor

Tech Data Reviews

Updated August 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great people, great opportunity to grow (in 36 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, non-hostile environment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a very good work life balance in my opinion (in 14 reviews)

• Very low pay compared to other simular jobs that I have done (in 27 reviews)

"Inside Account Representative"

I worked at Tech Data full-time

Pros

You always received the sense of being needed and appreciated from upper management (executives and vice presidents.)

Cons

Direct managers are way too overwhelmed and busy to pay attention to their employees/team members. They're not able to actually manage, but more delegate and expect results. Not a lot of training from entry level to this position; just shadowing at best. No core career development. Everything is a metric, nothing is by talent.

Advice to Management

Actually pay attention to the people that want to be there and succeed; sometimes we want guidance from the experts. Not just expectations and drilling when we get there just slightly shy of the goal.

"Great culture, base pay permanently"

I have been working at Tech Data full-time

Pros

Great culture, educational opportunity.

Cons

Poor health ins, limited professional advancement, extreme minimum on raises if qualified

"Best time of my life, most important time of my life"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I keep seeing reviews that management doesn't care at Tech Data. So I had to speak up. I received a phone call that my son had fallen off 2-story building with a seizure and Bayfront was transporting him via helicopter. Of course, I thought the worse and starting crying quite loudly. I frantically packed up to go, where I did not even know, but the CIO, John Tonnison, known as jt heard the commotion and stopped me from no doubt recklessly driving to find out if my son was dead or alive. Not only did he stop me, he drove me. He could have just dropped me off as I was misinformed of the hospital location and went from St. Pete to Largo and he had WAY MORE IMPORTANT items to take care of, but that is not how he saw it. He even came in as support in case the results were worse than I had heard.
    He had to call to postpone a meeting even with the CEO, Bob Dutkowsky, but you know; he felt what jt was doing was more important than their meeting as he too is all about the employees. This is a management team that REALLY cares!

Cons

This place has way too many pros to even consider a con.

Advice to Management

Keep going strong!!!!!

"It's a paycheck..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- With any large company and enough time spent, you have the opportunity to develop lasting business ties and friendships with people of a similar mindset. It's hit or miss with who you'll be working for and with and there are some standout wonderful people there. I met some of my best friends there, but that is more related to physical location than working environment I would assume.
    - I thoroughly enjoyed my time with TD before the merger, but it's a different company with new a new leader, set of principles, and direction.

Cons

- Office politics run rampant.
    - Lack of standardized training in nearly every department.
    - Lack of direction and feedback will depend entirely on your manager as they operate semi-autonomous fiefdoms of desk clumps.
    - Despite local awards, there is an obvious lack of real inclusion. An overbearing conservative mindset only fosters this as they use anecdotal examples rather than real solid statistics to market this facet.
    - HR is there to look out for the company and often powerless or straight unwilling to make any improvements.
    - Open floor plans do not foster a positive environment especially when the wage gap between even team members is stifling. It's also terrible for concentration in a technical field or when working with large calculations.
    - Lower level people (nearly all the general employees) are often kept entirely in the dark but are expected to react swiftly and with little to no support.
    - Will treat your employment like a gift you cannot repay.
    - High turnover in sales, internal logistics, and at logistic centers (warehouses).
    - Willing to undergo massive remodeling and branding projects while enduring layoffs had an unsurprisingly negative effect on company morale.
    - There is a clear double-standard in terms of daily responsibilities and expectations for what is seen as the "inner-circle" of management and their confidants and the rest of the employees. (The 13 Club was a nickname for the entry level people that felt a clear divide between those making entry level pay for years and those shopping for new Mercedes at their desk loudly.) There's nothing quite like watching bonuses get literally handed out to your team members while you're struggling.
    - Compared to a lot of places around here the pay is standard, but for IT professionals who are often able to work remote at companies, the financial incentive is minimal.
    - Meetings to have meetings about meetings. It's 2017 and anything that can said in a meeting can be done on a WebEx or in email. There are much better ways to build trust between a team than a meets on weekly numbers.
    - Don't expect a cost of living or raise in general without a promotion.

Advice to Management

Stop keeping obvious toxic elements in the workplace because you've found a way to justify their behavior.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional and excellent company to learn about IT solutions, Customer service, and Sales. A lot of trainers provided by them that will help you to be a better sales person. In overall a great company to work with.

Cons

As all Sales position, it is a little bit stressful at the end of the month when people are trying to get to their numbers to be able to reach bono.

"Cadre pitoyable mais super équipes"

Former Employee - Commercial in Bussy-Saint-Georges (France)
    Former Employee - Commercial in Bussy-Saint-Georges (France)

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Les équipes sont motivées et compétentes. Excellente ambiance.

Cons

Le management est pitoyable, très incompétent, que des petits arrangements, mettent les employés en détresse.

Advice to Management

Mettez fin au copinage et faites le ménage

"Good place to start, not for professional growth"

Former Employee - Accountant in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Accountant in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Tech Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good option for a first job
    - Knowledge of processes, programs, SAP, organization
    - Working enviroment with colleagues and Team Leaders
    - Multicultural environement
    - Well considered company in your CV
    - Health insurance after 6 months

Cons

- Accounting and Financial taks are very fragmented and parametrized, impossible to get an overall look.
    - Impossible to grow personal or professionally (Their aim was to mantain the employee in the same position, doing the same tasks for as longer as posbile).
    - Very difficult to change of position or tasks
    - Questionable promotions
    - Peaks of very high workload
    - Very low salary
    - Unpleasant senior management
    - HR Completely unprofessional
    - Not extremly nice surroundings of the office. No resturants or shops on the nearbys.

Advice to Management

Take in consideration the professional and personal growth of the employees, if not hire other thype of profiles (not superior education, languages, etc.) Rise the salaries, and be more polite to employers (Senior Management and HR).

8. "Solid Place to work"

Current Employee - Solutions Associate
    Current Employee - Solutions Associate

I have been working at Tech Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back and moderate environment.

Cons

Compensation is a little low

"Waste of Time"

I have been working at Tech Data full-time

Pros

team environment, helpful managers, flexible leave, remote work, health insurance

Cons

low pay, menial & tedious work, large workload, inconsistent policies & procedures, mass layoffs/slow to re-hire, system enhancements are slow to be implemented, lack of a centralized location for pertinent info, lots of digging through old emails to "research", dumb processes & rules that make your job even more tedious

What this company does is start laying off people out of the blue, then moving the fired employee’s responsibilities onto the ones that are left. Then as business starts to increase, they continue to spread more duties to the existing employees on a team, but don’t want to pay them extra. The same low pay rate for much more work. They discourage overtime. They would rather burden and overwhelm the existing employees, including management, rather than to hire/pay a new employee. They prefer to have contractors or hourly-pay workers than permanent, salaried employees. If you want to work here, don’t let them make demands on your time outside of work hours…because they will if you let them.
    Supplier sales reps intimidate customers into orders they do not want and harass them until the order has shipped. It's a very strange dynamic to be in the middle of.
    Considering the company (Avnet, now TechData) brings in hundreds of millions of dollars in sales from each supplier (and they have multiple suppliers), yet income is near the poverty level, is disheartening.

Advice to Management

* Stop overburdening employees
    * Value your employees’ work with higher pay
    * Have clear, cutoff times for accepting new business for the day; if not received by cutoff, process it the next business day
    * Focus on improving processes rather than adding processes that confound the situation
    * Have a central, updated area for information that is easily accessible

10. "Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Tech Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent training
    - Great teamwork
    - Fun environment
    - A lot of support from supervisor

Cons

- Company always looking to reduce cost (layoffs)

Advice to Management

If you have a strong team that is delivering results, just leave it and take advantage of it, don't layoff the entire department that is exceeding expectations.