KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 62 of over 99 reviews

4.3
TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton
Pros
  • "The work/life balance is really good(in 10 reviews)

• "Of course the family events, free meals/snacks, great benefits always are nice as well :) It's hands down the best company I've worked for to date(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Seems to be little focus on anything that isn't Snagit or Camtasia(in 4 reviews)

• "In general, the decision making process seems to be very slow, and sadly you can see those effects in their current and future business(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, great culture

Sep 15, 2021 - Sales Executive in Okemos, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful to their employees, customers and overall great company.

Cons

Pay a little lower than industry standard

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Encouraging Work Environment

Oct 22, 2020 - Video Intern in Lansing, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, Understanding, Flexible, Encouraging, Planned

Cons

Sometimes Old School, Many Meetings

3. The latest conversations about Tech

182 Comments

Join the conversation on
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Aug 25, 2020 - Inside Sales Account Manager in Okemos, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

TSC is transparent with current and future business plans, changes that are coming, and how these will affect the staff. Competitive salary and benefits package.

Cons

None that come to mind.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Aug 21, 2019 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very fun place to work, company cares about the employees. Ability to collaborate across the entire company and present ideas to leadership that listens. Truly a customer first focus.

Cons

None come to mind at this time

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great environment

Oct 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career growth, perks, bonuses, activities and trips, conferences, free meals on fridays, free snacks and pop. Great fun culture.

Cons

Employees would usually need relocating. The campus is an very odd location in a small town most people don't know about.

CEO

Thanks for your review. We do care about having an enjoyable work environment - we all spend too much time of our life at work to not love it. And you are correct about the odd location. The Midwest is an unusual location for commercial software companies to begin with, and I believe we are one of the few headquartered in Michigan, let alone mid-Michigan. https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterandrewwilkins/2019/01/24/the-top-enterprise-software-companies-in-the-midwest/#484dda2f69e4 FYI we do have three mobile apps that compliment our core products https://www.techsmith.com/mobile-apps.html including the leading screen recorder on IOS, as well as a fourth paid app that was an employee innovation https://www.coachseye.com/.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee

UX Designer Intern

Sep 17, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an Intern wanting to learn as much as possible, the people are welcoming, and push you to do great! You really are treated like a full time employee which goes along way for an Intern.

Cons

No cons. I wish they had a cold brew machine!

CEO

Thanks for the review, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your internship. We are unusual in our internship program in that interns work side by side our full time employees doing the same work full time employees do. I don't know much about coffee, it wouldn't surprise me if we needed to expand based on demand, but the Starbucks machine seems very popular.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to Work for

Aug 23, 2018 - Software Engineer in Okemos, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great Team Leaders - I feel supported by my team to attend conferences and tech events - One of the values that I am most proud of TechSmith is: Everyone is treated as an equal - Engineering Feedback to Business are valued - On top of PTO we have sick day - Working from home at times/when needed is possible - High Trust Environment - one of my favorite thing about TechSmith as well - TechSmith also organizes several family event throughout the year - Friday Lunch

Cons

- I wish there was more pair programming - At times there are redundant meetings

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your review - it's always great to hear from new employees. Please keep pushing back on meetings, don't give up! Sometimes we get carried away to support our value of inclusiveness. The funny thing about it is that our own technology often helps customers have fewer meetings.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent Company!

Jun 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company really cares about employees, work/life balance, and autonomy.

Cons

Nothing really negative worth mentioning here.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic Overall

Nov 21, 2017 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

TechSmith is a really great place to work. There are a lot of really smart, experienced, and helpful people who have helped me learn an incredible amount about software development. I've grown from a college grad who didn't even have a CS degree to someone who can build and ship complication solutions on my own. The work I do day-to-day is almost always really fun and interesting, and I have a decent amount of freedom as to what I work on. The work/life balance is really good. I'm able to pick my hours for the most part and take days off with little notice if I need to deal with something outside of work. My coworkers are really fun to work with. At lunch we often play video games together. We also have company-sponsored events once or twice a month that are usually really fun (and always have great food). I look forward to going to work every day, and I can see myself working here for many years to come.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that middle management doesn't listen to feedback from the engineering staff. Maybe they know something we don't, but they don't do a great job of communicating that to us when our feedback is seemingly ignored.

CEO

Thank you for your feedback. You have a right to be frustrated if you don't know the reasoning for a decision especially if that decision doesn't reflect the perspective that you shared. You not only have the right, but also the obligation, to go ask management or senior leadership for the rationale. Our culture of inclusive decision making means that not only should we be seeking out all point of views before making a decision, but also that we should be prepared to share the rationale for any decision. But our culture also means that it is your personal obligation to not only share your perspective, but also to actively make sure that perspective was truly understood (even if it was not agreed with). We have an open door policy, so hopefully there aren't barriers for you to continue to engage. Another possibility is to ask for a open discussion (e.g. Yammer) on the topic so that all can contribute and respond transparently. It is also very possible that your feedback is agreed with, but there just hasn't been bandwidth to implement the change. Perhaps you can help provide that bandwidth.

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This is the company I've been looking for my whole career

Nov 1, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are the tangible things like free snacks, free soda, monthly company-wide happy hour, good pay, good benefits, etc., but the real value of working for TechSmith comes in the culture and the people. You may see from older less-than-stellar reviews from years past, but I can assure you that those days are long gone. The management team is highly motivated to engage and listen to employees at all levels. Teams are collaborative and everyone is accountable for the success of the company, but not at the expense of personal time and work/life balance. We are encouraged to take time off to recharge and refocus our energy. That accountability is accompanied by a shared feeling of ownership wherein we all feel a responsibility (in the best sense of the word) to do the best work we can to ensure we're all more successful. We are empowered to think differently and have a voice in the way things develop.

Cons

Despite some incredibly liberal policies regarding attendance, dress code, etc., management hasn't yet embraced the idea of more flexible work schedules. I would love the opportunity to work four 10-hour days with Fridays off, for example.

4 people found this review helpful