Cover image for TechSmith

TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company with a great culture

Oct 7, 2022 - Software Engineer II
    Business Outlook

Pros

culture and work/life balance are amazing. great for almost anyone looking for a software job that melds well with your life

Cons

pay is a bit low when compared to other similar markets

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

TechSmith lives its values

Sep 28, 2022 - Software Development Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Empowerment is real. As an employee, if you see a need or have an idea that could improve some piece of your work or the company, you are encouraged and supported to pursue it. Importantly, this doesn't mean do the thing on your own, but rather gather feedback, build consensus, and then work with others to implement.

Cons

Valuing many opinions and gathering feedback can mean that we are slow to action. We can struggle with decisiveness.

3. Join the TechSmith team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company for Lansing area

Jul 20, 2022 - Technical Support Specialist in Lansing, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fellow co-workers, middle management, tuition reimbursement, snacks when in office, Michelle Massey as the new head of customer operations, and easy to move to certain teams (sales and IT).

Cons

Upper management, pay, job stress, career growth, internal movement (into development/project management/UX/Technical product teams), and required hybrid in office for nearly every team OTHER than developers.

CEO

Hello, Thanks for your feedback. I especially appreciate your recognizing Michelle who is our newest upper management member as well as recognizing your team and management. We have some great people. As you note, many of our tech support folks have taken jobs elsewhere in TechSmith and we are proud to have been able to support changes in career paths. The tech market seems to be facing lots of ups and downs in terms of pay right now. We do make it a priority to pay fairly by doing third-party market assessments annually and making market adjustments (which were significant this year), as well as calibrating new hire pay to existing employees. In addition, any employee can ask HR to reevaluate their pay against third-party national benchmark sources. So do consider that option if you have a concern about comp. Since we provide free healthcare plus a funded HSA, sometimes the comparisons can get confusing so it might be worth having HR go through it. With all that said, I can't deny that inflation is painful and something we need to keep an eye on and be sensitive to. I didn't understand the comments about hybrid. So, I'd like to clarify that today everyone is remote, regardless of department. We are asking employees to come into the office about 20% of their time starting late in Sept if they can, regardless of department. We are treating this as an experiment that we will reevaluate in the new year but do believe some togetherness is right for relationships and onboarding at TechSmith, regardless of department. The VP of the department approves remote requests, there is no corporate policy that is department specific. As far as I can tell we already have and will have full-remote employees in all departments, and most developers will be hybrid. I agree that particularly for upper management, public social media posts could have an impact on the brand and employees. If there is a specific concern, perhaps raise it confidentially with HR. I'm not aware of any incidents of concern at this time. Thanks again for taking the time to give this feedback, Wendy Hamilton CEO

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing company to work for

May 2, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

We work with very bright and amazing people. The company really cares about its customers. We foster a culture of inclusivity, empowerment, integrity, and work-life balance. People are proud to work at TechSmith because we are taken care of, so we can take care of our customers. The company invests in professional development for their staff, and we get about 20% of our time to work in innovation. We get about 1 week and a half straight every 8 weeks to work in innovation. I really enjoy this significant block of time to work on innovation because we are able to truly build something more ellaborated and make significant progress.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company that prioritizes employees

Jul 4, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer/Lead in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits including an esop, good salary for the area, and a focus on being a good place to work for employees. Products are useful and there’s a good focus on customer needs.

Cons

Cultures are different per team. Burnout isn’t really addressed but I suspect its a factor in why some leave. A bit of favoritism in some pockets of the company that grinds on fairness. Turnover is low but those that do leave tend to after 5 to 10 years. Promotion and raises are subjective to your manager and those levels between managers aren’t equal.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

nice company

Sep 13, 2022 - Software Tester
    Business Outlook

Pros

nice people and interesting work

Cons

there aren't any that I can think of

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Company Culture

Sep 5, 2022 - Customer Service Specialist in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

they tried to promote good company culture: food and drink perks, company events

Cons

interoffice dating is promoted which created unnecessary drama

Recruiter

We appreciate your review. TechSmith does not encourage nor discourage relationships among employees but does have policies and guidelines in place for appropriate employee conduct . Our harassment policy strongly discourages relationships between a manager and a direct report. If any employee is not following our policies and/or guidelines, it should be shared with a manager, Senior leader, or HR

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company to work for

May 13, 2022 - Technical Support Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great, overall working environment has been amazing. Very family oriented company

Cons

Some values that the employee's share are not shared by Senior Leadership. There are some cases when there are valid concerns that are pushed to the side.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Work Life Balance, But Very Little Growth

Feb 4, 2022 - Inside Account Manager in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company gives good amounts of time off. They went fully remote when COVID hit, so that was nice. Good benefits. Some really nice people across the company. They are building a new campus in partnership with Michigan State University, which might bring in some new opportunities.

Cons

Little to no growth. They don’t have a dedicated head of sales, and it really shows. While there are some nice people who work here, upper management seems out of touch. No transparency whatsoever with pay, which is low as it is. They seem to lowball the payraise if you get promoted or move teams internally. Sales team is forced to focus on small customer leads as opposed to spending more time on bigger clients.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I appreciate your recognizing the focus on employee wellness and balance. We've been worried about burnout since the demanding jump in growth we've had over COVID, and have done what we can to invest in our team holistically. I sense and value your hunger for more ambition in Sale's day-to-day focus. I agree completely. This is why as CEO I ran Sales for a bit - to get in touch and learn what is possible - presumably, this is when you were in Sales. Things are changing. The team is excited about where things are going. We are moving smaller sales transactions to a maintenance team that frees time for strategic account growth that is incented with new upside compensation. We've also promoted from within a dedicated Sales VP. All the team's pay is reviewed peer to peer by sales management, and all our salary bands are reviewed with HR against national pay standards. In our reviews when you were here, our base pay is higher than others from what I can tell (more stability) but our variable upside was lower. But now we have two uncapped variable commissions in play, and three different types of variable earnings so the upside variable has grown since you've been here and should be more than competitive. Thanks for your feedback, Wendy Hamilton CEO

11. 3.0
    Former Employee

Nice place to work

Jul 11, 2022 - Senioer Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Friendly co-workers Effort made to team build

Cons

Not much of a career path opportunity

Viewing 1 - 10 of 78 Reviews
</>Embed

TechSmith Reviews FAQs

TechSmith has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 121 reviews left anonymously by employees. 99% of employees would recommend working at TechSmith to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, TechSmith employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at TechSmith. This rating has improved by 10% over the last 12 months.

99% of TechSmith employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated TechSmith 4.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at TechSmith to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with TechSmith Job Seekers