Cover image for TechSmith
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

TechSmith Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Oct 1, 2020

TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0

Decent but slow

Oct 1, 2020 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people and environment. Great benefits.

Cons

Decisions took too long to make.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0

Don’t be fooled…

Dec 14, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Free beverages and snacks, casual attire, flexible scheduling and lots of company sponsored events.

Cons

On the surface, TechSmith looks like a great company. They advertise an open, collaborative, and innovative environment where you can be excited to come into work every day. They say that they put their people and customers first providing the highest quality support in the industry. For many years that was true. However, sadly the culture and focus has been rapidly changing over the past 8 months and a lot of very talented people are leaving. It is now an organization where bottom line is number one, period. The executive and senior leadership team talks a great game and you’ll find yourself nodding in agreement believing every word when they give updates in companywide forums. However, when you meet with them one on one, or talk to the people who are working directly on the projects it is another story. There is an open-door policy and you are encouraged to make suggestions and foster healthy conflict. However, if your thinking is too far from their vision you will at best be ignored at worst be belittled and subjected to further scrutiny. People who were once very passionate, vocal and innovative have started shutting down. It’s a complicated game that you can’t win. If you keep head down and focus on your job you are punished for not being an engaging and innovative team player. If you engage in a lot of meetings and discussion you are punished for not producing numbers. Very clear favoritism is given to good self-promoters. Individuals who spend a lot of time on experimental projects, grossly inflate their success and then spend more time discussing and promoting the project than actually working on it are favored over those who try to balance current responsibilities and dabble in experimental projects. Collaboration between teams and departments has been weak for years which makes it very easy to point fingers and lay blame elsewhere when a product or project doesn’t perform. A great example of the Jekyll and Hyde personality is the new CEO. While there is no doubt she is intelligent and experienced in many areas her communication skills are off-putting. When speaking in large groups she tries too hard to be likable and comes off as almost ditzy. In smaller groups and one on one she is often extremely narrow focused demanding and aggressive. The culture is reminiscent of a small town high school. For the most part everyone knows everyone and seems to get along well. However, gossip and slander runs rampant and is often taken as truth without verification. The circle of trust is growing smaller and smaller every day and people you thought were allies will stab you in the back if given the chance to make them look better. Casual hook ups and relationships among employees are common and not discouraged unless they are direct reports. This can make it very uncomfortable for coworkers once the relationship fizzles out. Rumors are that there have been harassment dismissals and restraining orders in the past few years but of course none of that can be confirmed. As a whole, I think there are a lot of good people but the environment and situations they have been put in make them want to fend for themselves instead of work together. You will be required to learn and work with several different systems to do your job (20+) with very little formal training. Most of which are antiquated, underused or so customized it is difficult for the manufactures to support. The front-line staff is often asked “You are a tech company; how can you not provide X information or service?” It is quite embarrassing. Several system reviews to update and consolidate systems have occurred during my time but rarely result in anything. Recently there was an outside consultant in for several days to map the systems and I believe that project is underway but I imagine it will be years before anything changes. Great award winning products but their future is questionable. Snagit is a fantastic product but will likely become obsolete very soon as free products are improving and organizations are tightening their budgets. Relay has hemorrhaged money from the company for years. At one point it was going to be killed but now it is being revitalized. I have hopes for it but it is a saturated and fast moving market and our products have been behind from the start. Coach’s Eye was high performing in its market but could not generating revenue. Morae is dying a slow death. The only hope is in Camtasia and moving to SaaS. However, TechSmith has and will likely continue to struggle to support SaaS.

12 people found this review helpful

TechSmith Response

CEO

I think I understand what you went through – it’s really tough to feel like fewer coworkers especially fewer executives have your back, or who know you well enough to prioritize what you say. I’ve gone through this a lot in my career too. You work really hard, accomplish a lot, and get a lot of accolades. You are feeling respected, and proud and most of all comfortable. Your boss is your sponsor, your mentor, and their boss too. Then suddenly it all changes. There is new leadership, all who are asking lots of questions, and changing the game about what the goal post is. It’s easy to feel disrespected and even threatened in that environment. Don’t these new people know who I am, what I’ve accomplished? You feel like you are starting from ground zero all over, and have to reprove yourself. And it’s easy to resent that and feel angry. At least I know I’ve felt that way – I went through something like 5 leadership changes in less than 10 years at my last company. Each time I had to make the decision – flight or fight or evolve. I'm hoping I can reach enough employees to give the latter a chance. In this case I recognize the verbiage to know that you are someone I personally terminated. While that explains the posting a bit, it doesn’t invalidate your points so I’m happy to answer them. TechSmith has a lot of potential – but there is also a lot that needs to be improved. When a CEO comes into a company where the market is growing high double digits but the company is not growing at all, they do scrutinize everything, they do demand more, they do challenge status quo. It is uncomfortable. And maybe it also mean that things important to you get deprioritized for a bit – because everything has to be reviewed again. And when the CEO then turns over other department leads as I’ve done, that can snowball a bit. I aim to keep proving to our employees that my only motivation is to make TechSmith the best it can be and ensure its long term health. Employees who don’t want anything to change, are not going to be happy. And I’m happy to acknowledge that to the whole company, not just in small groups. With that said, investment in customer support and employee benefits has dramatically increased since I’ve been here, and will continue to be a priority as I will honor those cultural priorities of the founder, my dad.

3. Join the TechSmith team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Innovative and challenging, with great midwest values

Jul 12, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great to work with and will always have your back, and TechSmith will support you in whatever direction you'd like to take your job. It's a very motivating and team oriented environment, at least in my case. Of course the family events, free meals/snacks, great benefits always are nice as well :) It's hands down the best company I've worked for to date.

Cons

While the company gives away generous bonuses and raises, it is pretty difficult to move up in the company, as the structure is pretty flat. Most managers have been there for quite a while. Experience can vary from team to team. While teams like mine are motivated and healthy, it seems that may not be not be the case for all teams.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee

If the free pop doesn't kill you... the job will

Jul 12, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Can wear jeans to work Very flexible with working hours. You can worka t home and not have to be by a computer or phone all day!! Free pop and snacks... free food on Friday Great benefits

Cons

Promotes yes men who have no original thoughts or ideas. Lack of communication between departments. Departments will constantly waste the sales team's time asking for help and then do the exact opposite of the advise they were given.Thus producing a inept product that doesn't work and frustrates the customer. Overpays those employees who work on an app that bleeds money and have been seen drinking on the job more then once. Instead of firing people they make up fake jobs for people, taking away more opportunities for those who are deserving. Thus losing many VERY talented employees who I have watched go to other companies and exceed.

13 people found this review helpful

TechSmith Response

CEO

I wish I could have figured out how to address your concerns sooner. As you might know, things have evolved since you left. As of now, most of the executive team members are recent outside experienced hires who are prepared and capable to lead our next phase of growth. We have invested in leadership, talent development, and new product innovation. And it's paying off with double digit growth for our core products this quarter, as well as an exciting start to a new product line. Although I don't understand all your comments, I completely respect your decision. I hope that you would feel differently now and wish you the best of luck.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A mixed bag

Mar 19, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, relaxed culture. I truly believe everyone means well.

Cons

There is a great inconsistency on what your life will be like as a Software Engineer (or similar) or as a Sales/Marketing employee. In departments across the board, advancement opportunities can be hard to come by, and there is no defined career path. In general, the decision making process seems to be very slow, and sadly you can see those effects in their current and future business.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

The people are great, but career path for those who aren't software developers is limited.

Mar 29, 2011 -  in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people mostly, great parties, great benefits, decent bonuses. Love the products and everyone else does too, lots of customer love and pride in where you work.

Cons

Money if you aren't a developer or in sales. Lots of differences of value to the company of different departments, and if you are in one of the not-valued departments, you feel like you're on the outside looking in at a really great place to work.

8. 2.0
    Current Employee

Good people, lots of growing pains

Aug 21, 2010 -  in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, good pay in development. Tons of non-monetary benefits (casual environment, flex time, a commitment to work/life balance).

Cons

No clear career growth opportunities outside of moving into management. Lack of leaders among management. Low salaries outside of development.

6 people found this review helpful