Cover image for TechSmith
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

TechSmith Employee Reviews about "snagit"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

4.5
TechSmith CEO Wendy Hamilton
Wendy Hamilton
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Add a review It only takes a second to share your experience. Your information will always be anonymous.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "snagit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee

Resume Rotter - Stay Away

Sep 4, 2016 - Software Engineer in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Free pop - Pays higher than market average - "Job stability"

Cons

- Being overpaid while doing absolutely nothing to move forward in your technical career. What type of people does that retain? - No sense of innovation, just keep doing whatever you were doing in the past. - Don't be "that guy/girl" with a new idea. No one wants to put in more time. - Change product direction every two months. And the hardest working people who keep up with that, who want to be part of a great product, end up walking away. - Have no product direction. Start a project and kill it before it ever has a chance to get anywhere. Then place the software engineers that were on that product on a terrible CMS solution as a day job. And overpay them. - No branding. People who use Camtasia and Snagit have no idea who Techsmith is. - Seniority based on time and not experience + effort. - Management is too proud and doesn't want to take any real blame.

15 people found this review helpful

CEO

Our developers put their heart and soul into our products, so I completely understand how crushing it must feel for the business to make a decision to eliminate a product line. We’ve had to make some hard decisions to ensure we have aligned resources on the best growth opportunities for the business. In spite of resourcing changes, growing our talent remains a huge priority. Our employees benefit from exposure to a range of platforms (mobile, web, desktop) and advanced digital media technologies in both a B2B and B2C commercial software environment. We also make significant investments in formal training. As I write this we are actively running third party training programs for general management, product strategy, marketing, lean, and agile. In fact, it’s not uncommon for us to develop our people so well that we lose them to top tier technology companies – we lost someone to Apple just this month. We celebrate when this happens and wish them the best. Congratulations and good luck with your future endeavors. Wendy Hamilton CEO

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Culture - No Future

Oct 31, 2019 - Engineer in Okemos, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture and People you work with are amazing. Good introductory shop for Software Engineers

Cons

No real new products in a while and the pay there is well below market. My guess is that they will continue to milk customers for new versions of SnagIt and Camatasia that offer no real benefit for as long as they can and then fold.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

CEO

First thanks for recognizing our great culture, and great opportunity for entry level engineers. But, wow, I'm not sure how long ago you left but don't feel the rest is an accurate representation of TechSmith currently. We've launched two new cloud products in last couple years, now with millions of growing reocurring revenue outside of our core desktop products and another new product launching next year. But new products are not even necessary to grow when you are in a good market. Digital media tools, video, and self-serve education and training are some of the best markets to be in at moment. The innovation the teams are doing with Snagit and Camtasia is fantastic, simply remarkable, and our customers love what we are doing based on independent web reviews you can see right on our website, as well as our highest in industry NPS scores. I'm really proud of what our engineers have accomplished in evolving these products in the fast moving world of digital media technology. And these are the best customers in the world - all of the fortune 500, all the top higher ed in the US, with rapid growth globally. We also take care of our employees and genuinely care about their well-being - free healthcare, profit sharing bonuses, and new perks regularly added. Further, we regularly market check compensation benchmarks and make market adjustments, and know we are above average generally. Perhaps there was a dispute about your pay, sometimes that happens and it's unfortunate if we couldn't resolve it. I apologize if that left you frustrated, but it's not a common incident for us in general. I hope you have landed well and are happy now.

3. Join the TechSmith team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Don’t be fooled…

Dec 14, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Free beverages and snacks, casual attire, flexible scheduling and lots of company sponsored events.

Cons

On the surface, TechSmith looks like a great company. They advertise an open, collaborative, and innovative environment where you can be excited to come into work every day. They say that they put their people and customers first providing the highest quality support in the industry. For many years that was true. However, sadly the culture and focus has been rapidly changing over the past 8 months and a lot of very talented people are leaving. It is now an organization where bottom line is number one, period. The executive and senior leadership team talks a great game and you’ll find yourself nodding in agreement believing every word when they give updates in companywide forums. However, when you meet with them one on one, or talk to the people who are working directly on the projects it is another story. There is an open-door policy and you are encouraged to make suggestions and foster healthy conflict. However, if your thinking is too far from their vision you will at best be ignored at worst be belittled and subjected to further scrutiny. People who were once very passionate, vocal and innovative have started shutting down. It’s a complicated game that you can’t win. If you keep head down and focus on your job you are punished for not being an engaging and innovative team player. If you engage in a lot of meetings and discussion you are punished for not producing numbers. Very clear favoritism is given to good self-promoters. Individuals who spend a lot of time on experimental projects, grossly inflate their success and then spend more time discussing and promoting the project than actually working on it are favored over those who try to balance current responsibilities and dabble in experimental projects. Collaboration between teams and departments has been weak for years which makes it very easy to point fingers and lay blame elsewhere when a product or project doesn’t perform. A great example of the Jekyll and Hyde personality is the new CEO. While there is no doubt she is intelligent and experienced in many areas her communication skills are off-putting. When speaking in large groups she tries too hard to be likable and comes off as almost ditzy. In smaller groups and one on one she is often extremely narrow focused demanding and aggressive. The culture is reminiscent of a small town high school. For the most part everyone knows everyone and seems to get along well. However, gossip and slander runs rampant and is often taken as truth without verification. The circle of trust is growing smaller and smaller every day and people you thought were allies will stab you in the back if given the chance to make them look better. Casual hook ups and relationships among employees are common and not discouraged unless they are direct reports. This can make it very uncomfortable for coworkers once the relationship fizzles out. Rumors are that there have been harassment dismissals and restraining orders in the past few years but of course none of that can be confirmed. As a whole, I think there are a lot of good people but the environment and situations they have been put in make them want to fend for themselves instead of work together. You will be required to learn and work with several different systems to do your job (20+) with very little formal training. Most of which are antiquated, underused or so customized it is difficult for the manufactures to support. The front-line staff is often asked “You are a tech company; how can you not provide X information or service?” It is quite embarrassing. Several system reviews to update and consolidate systems have occurred during my time but rarely result in anything. Recently there was an outside consultant in for several days to map the systems and I believe that project is underway but I imagine it will be years before anything changes. Great award winning products but their future is questionable. Snagit is a fantastic product but will likely become obsolete very soon as free products are improving and organizations are tightening their budgets. Relay has hemorrhaged money from the company for years. At one point it was going to be killed but now it is being revitalized. I have hopes for it but it is a saturated and fast moving market and our products have been behind from the start. Coach’s Eye was high performing in its market but could not generating revenue. Morae is dying a slow death. The only hope is in Camtasia and moving to SaaS. However, TechSmith has and will likely continue to struggle to support SaaS.

12 people found this review helpful

CEO

I think I understand what you went through – it’s really tough to feel like fewer coworkers especially fewer executives have your back, or who know you well enough to prioritize what you say. I’ve gone through this a lot in my career too. You work really hard, accomplish a lot, and get a lot of accolades. You are feeling respected, and proud and most of all comfortable. Your boss is your sponsor, your mentor, and their boss too. Then suddenly it all changes. There is new leadership, all who are asking lots of questions, and changing the game about what the goal post is. It’s easy to feel disrespected and even threatened in that environment. Don’t these new people know who I am, what I’ve accomplished? You feel like you are starting from ground zero all over, and have to reprove yourself. And it’s easy to resent that and feel angry. At least I know I’ve felt that way – I went through something like 5 leadership changes in less than 10 years at my last company. Each time I had to make the decision – flight or fight or evolve. I'm hoping I can reach enough employees to give the latter a chance. In this case I recognize the verbiage to know that you are someone I personally terminated. While that explains the posting a bit, it doesn’t invalidate your points so I’m happy to answer them. TechSmith has a lot of potential – but there is also a lot that needs to be improved. When a CEO comes into a company where the market is growing high double digits but the company is not growing at all, they do scrutinize everything, they do demand more, they do challenge status quo. It is uncomfortable. And maybe it also mean that things important to you get deprioritized for a bit – because everything has to be reviewed again. And when the CEO then turns over other department leads as I’ve done, that can snowball a bit. I aim to keep proving to our employees that my only motivation is to make TechSmith the best it can be and ensure its long term health. Employees who don’t want anything to change, are not going to be happy. And I’m happy to acknowledge that to the whole company, not just in small groups. With that said, investment in customer support and employee benefits has dramatically increased since I’ve been here, and will continue to be a priority as I will honor those cultural priorities of the founder, my dad.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Mar 29, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyable coworkers, nice area, and flexible hours.]

Cons

Seems to be little focus on anything that isn't Snagit or Camtasia

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review. Snagit and Camtasia are the very large majority of our customer base, and as a customer-focused company this means that they get a lot of visible attention, and a big share of the customer-facing resource. However, from an engineering investment standpoint just as much focus is being put on new products including two new products released over the last year or so, and a third new product moving to beta this year. But I agree with you that we aren't communicating as well about all these new developments and all the wins we are having with them. We can do better here - thanks for the feedback.

Viewing 1 - 0 of 0 English Reviews