TechTarget Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay especially for the Bay area (in 24 reviews)

• open leave policy means you don't take enough vacation (in 12 reviews)

"Client Services - Campaign Manager"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Typically great people to work with.
    - Excellent training. Brought up to speed quickly.
    - Operations were strong. Processes were seamless.
    - Great experience to learn a lot about ins and outs of a smaller public, "corporate" company
    - Great culture.
    - Great office.

Cons

- Very little office perks. The few parties we had had terribly minimal budgets, and it was apparent.
    - Management at the time was remote and did not lend helping hand to subordinates. You needed to fight for yourself.

Advice to Management

Elevate the department. Keep employees and management from fight each other -- everyone is working toward a common goal.

2. "A good place to start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an easy place to get hired, and you get some professional experience. Casual work environment, and I had a good manager. Stay for a year, learn some stuff, make some friends, and go somewhere else.

Cons

The pay is super low, and as far as I can tell, that goes for everyone at the company.

Advice to Management

Seems to be going well so far.

"Revolving door for G&A"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly great benefits (medical/dental etc), beautiful office, convenient location which is close to the city, and employee events are usually a great time

Cons

Pitiful salaries offered to overworked G&A group, which experiences constant turnover. Hard work is only recognized in sales force, and cheap executives led to half-baked ERP implementation which made work more difficult

"Flexible work schedule"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at TechTarget (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot from my boss and now have experiences that will help at my next job.
    Flexible schedule with most of the office working from home on Fridays.
    Very understanding towards parents with young kids at home.
    Great benefits.

Cons

The pay is terrible and the "open" vacation policy is actually quite restricting.

Advice to Management

Decent salaries!

"Salaries are low, management doesn't care about employees"

Former Employee - Site Editor in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Site Editor in Newton, MA

Pros

Flexible work hours is about all I can come up with.

Cons

Salaries are low. Management sets quotas on how much work editors and writers are expected to produce; but it seemed to me that many people didn't make their quotas, without any consequences. No one seemed interested in what you wrote about, or how well you executed your topic. Highly ineffective way to manage creative people.

Advice to Management

Pay people more, and show some interest in what they do.

6. "Great Company, Mediocre Compensation"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager, Demand & IT Deal Alert in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TechTarget (More than a year)

Pros

- Looks amazing on a resume
    - Super flexible schedule
    - Fantastic internal teams
    - Some of the best management I've ever encountered
    - Company culture is very laid-back
    - Casual dress code

Cons

- This job is far more than what the job description leads you to believe
    - Salary is not even a little competitive in the Bay Area job market

Advice to Management

Management here is truly excellent, but please pay your employees what they're worth

7. "Production Manager"

Current Employee - Production Manager in Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Newton, MA

I have been working at TechTarget (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Good work
    Nice building
    People in my team were great to work with

Cons

- People are out for themselves don't trust anyone
    - upper management don't value their people at all
    - people don't take advantage of the open door policy

8. "Great Place to Work - Even Better People"

I worked at TechTarget full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TechTarget was an amazing first job coming straight out of college. They are willing to take the time to teach each new employee and help them grow into managers. Working at TechTarget for almost 5 years, I was able and allowed to take on anything I wanted; as long as I had the knowledge to handle it. The company is also very open about moving departments. If the role you started in isn't working out, the opportunity to move and try something new is always an option. They also have a flexible work life which is always a huge plus!

Cons

Only downside is the entry level salary can be below market value.

"Delegate Recruitment Associate"

Current Employee - Delegate Recruitment Associate in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Delegate Recruitment Associate in Westwood, MA

I have been working at TechTarget full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry level job. Great phone experience. Very comfortable work environment. Your leads are all very helpful and co-workers are a joy. Great building and area to work in.

Cons

Low pay. Can feel like a lack of responsibility after a while. Doesn't feel like great room for rise. Everybody seems very content and tough to see real motivation for improvement or statistical growth.

Advice to Management

Be a little harder on the recruiters. Could have much more return on events if they pushed the recruiters harder and calls regularly instead of once in a while.

"Marketing Associate"

I worked at TechTarget full-time

Pros

- Great job on your resume, especially for a kid right out of college. Easy to get interviews after this job
    ......That's about it.

Cons

Pay is absolutely terrible!!!! Start out at 35k, sometimes less, in any role (besides sales which gets +commission). You'd think after a year they would give you a decent raise, something actually sustainable in/around Boston. But nope, don't expect anything other than 2-3k unless you get promoted to a manager (which is then only 45k).

Its corporate America. If you leave, they will just get the next kid out of college to replace you. Makes you feel like what you are doing really doesn't make a difference in the company, and there is really no incentive to working extra hard (as it isn't that easy to move up the chain). They also show no employee appreciation... they think a lame pizza party at the end of each quarter is something, but most people use it to just leave early. They would refuse to offer more money to keep somebody there, like i said, they will just hire the next person before throwing just a few more thousand your way.

The turnover rate here is a 1 -- 1 1/2 years. It's so quick because people quickly realize they plateau, and there is no real room to grow here (unless you are here for years).

"Unlimited time off" works completely against you. THIS IS NOT A BENEFIT. While it may seem great, the reality is, unless you have been working here for years, you are not going to take even close to 3 weeks vacation. In fact, you almost feel bad taking vacation. If you were given a specific number of days, you can guarantee that you will take those days. But because it is "unlimited" everyone tends to take way less vacation time. I guess that is genius on TTs part.

Office culture is absolutely terrible unless you work in sales. Very quiet in every area around the office (other than sales), hard to meet people, and pretty much as boring as an office as you can imagine.

Don't recommend this company, unless you don't have any other options. But it is a resume booster for sure.

Advice to Management

Just a little average pay raise makes employees feel the appreciation, keeps people here longer, and promotes a healthier work place. People can't afford to stay here on these expenses. Do something!!! The soft benefits are worse than pretty much any other companies benefits.