Technica Reviews in Dulles, VA | Glassdoor

Dulles, VA

1.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Miguel Collado

"A few great people working here, but overall a negative working environment propagated by upper management."

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A few very talented engineers who care a lot about the customer and their mission. Most of the headquarters staff are good at their jobs and care about the company. End of year bingo. You can win an iPad instead of a bonus!

Cons

The office culture is pretty toxic. There's a lack of communication between the Engineering, Program Management, Business Development and Executives. The two owners of the company are not what you would call "Dynamic Leaders." They mostly stay sheltered in their separate, locked (YES, LOCKED.) executive suite, and the CEO only comes out to strut around the cubicles, only stopping to berate you if he feels like it. It often felt like there was no plan or direction and we were just scrambling from one project to the next. When the finance people keep jumping ship, you know something is amiss.

Advice to Management

Develop a strategic plan and share it with the employees. Let them know what your goals are for Technica, how you plan to achieve them, and what the employees can do to help. Make them feel like they are part of Technica's success. Right now everyone is in the dark; come out of your executive cave and LEAD. Or, step aside and let somebody else do it.

"I QUIT"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE... All the positive reviews here are FAKE. They have been submitted by the Micro Managers at Technica.

Cons

EVERYTHING! Run away fast. This is the worst company ever! They have no clue what their doing. One of the upper managers is the worst micro managers ever. She made my life bad! Thank god I quit. Don't take a job here it really is a bad place.

Advice to Management

Remove your upper management. They are lost. They also micro manage people. Life is short and can be miserable enough without adding more misery to it. The CEO is clearly uncomfortable with people in general. This place is TOXIC. I quit after only a few weeks that's how bad it was.

3. "Do not take job if contract-to-hire"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are really nice

Cons

Warning to all contract to hire folks out there looking at this company: don't take the bait! They are most likely to hire you for the small service they need and then just let you go. This happened to me and several other contract-to-hire folks who went here. Just watch yourself.

Advice to Management

Be more loyal to employees

"difficult to succeed and receive promotions."

Former Employee - Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some people are nice to work with.

Cons

no salary increases ever except for those who are directly related to the closed exec management circle.

Advice to Management

The 2 owners of this private company need to diversify their technologies and expand their services to the civilian side of the government. The executive management need to learn to be more inclusive and educate themselves on how to really run a company and broaden their horizons rather tightly focus on a certain business field.

"A good employer on the decline"

Former Employee - Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great HR and Business Development departments. Solid benefits. While they pay about 50-75% market rate, it is a good way to get your foot in the door. Very friendly and welcoming in a Jonestown sort of way. Don't drink the Kool-aid.

Cons

The Engineering department has no active contracts despite what they tell prospective employees. The front-line managers are a merry band of eunuchs, long-ago neutered from any decision making. Fortunately upper-management is there to lay their clothes out for them each morning.
    Training opportunities would be a joke if anyone were laughing. Industry preferred certifications (like CCNA) are met with furrowed brows because they would rather their employees pursue Juniper certifications.
    Recently, classroom training provided by vendors has been supplanted by Skillsoft. This would be fine if the course selection weren't limited to those irrelevant to engineers (ex. "How to answer a phone" and a 4-year old version of Security+).
    Transparency is non-existent. You'll be tasked to perform the senseless by the clueless for the purposes known to nobody. Any questions on tasking will be met by ridicule and reprimand in the most childish ways.
    The CEO himself will parade around the building publicly bestowing a dollar-store crown on those not performing to his expectations, like he's the Queen Elizabeth of humiliation.

Advice to Management

Win some contracts. Until that happens, the front-line managers have nothing better to do than read a stop-watch and listen to jams in their office (the days they are actually in or not pretending to be at the satellite office).

"Beware of working here if on contract"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice, and if you can get a full time job, I am sure that it would be nice.

Cons

Beware of starting if you are on "contract-to-hire" as the company really has not intention of actually taking you on full time. They will try to lure you in with a-lot of promises, but then cut you off your contract as soon as you have your basic job done. Warning to all "contract-to-hire". Techinca really makes a mockery of this.

Advice to Management

Be more loyal to your workers.

8. "Okay company tow ork for."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Technica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, get the job done and you are good.

Cons

lack of focus, jumping from product to product

Advice to Management

be more focused.

9. "Very good overall but lots of turnover and little loyalty"

Current Contractor - Senior Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Contractor - Senior Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Technica as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

New building, friendly staff, pretty good managers, bagel Monday and free lunch once a month.

Cons

Senior IT management can be fickle and not genuine, and doesn't plan well, being reactive instead of proactive.

Advice to Management

Don't judge the value of staff by whether their projects need them but by capabilities.

10. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior IA Engineer in Dulles, VA

Pros

Very technical people and interesting projects. You learn alot on the job because of the projects and people. Management cares and watches out for staff. Benefits are average. Executives are unusually technical and walk around to talk about technologies with staff. Well liked by customers.

Cons

Benefits are average. That's all.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to staff-that is much appreciated. Pizza lunches are good-brings staff and management together. Keep that small company, family feel.

"Really Bad"

Former Employee - Senior IA Engineer in Dulles, VA

Pros

Interesting Project, liked my government customer. We were embedded with the government. Government was upset that Technica could not keep good people.

Cons

Pay was low, once a month, benefits bad - bottom wrung. Company had months notice of project end but didn't tell us....we were called Sunday night and told not to go in Monday and they mailed our pink slips. Indicative of the company. Would not pay for training or certs. Gave me one salary when I interview and another on the offer letter. I told them nothing doing and they were upset because I didn't let them take advantage of me. I should have walked away.

Advice to Management

You won't be able to keep contracts until you pay employees enough to keep them. Won't keep employees until you treat them as a valued resource instead of chattel.