Technical Resources International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nora Lee

"I really appreciate the opportunity of having been employed here"

Former Employee - Medical Writer III in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Writer III in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Okay, I'll cut to the chase first off and state that I think that at least 90% of the negative reviews here were written out of either haste or carelessness, as I am definitely NOT a member of the HR team at TRI (which I have seen some posts accuse positive ones of being), yet just left the company last week after having happily and proudly server as a team member for almost 6.5 years. I loved my time with TRI and am forever grateful that I was able to make a complete career transition by joining as an entry-level Medical Writer...a starting position which transformed into promotion to Medical Writer III by a year before I departed the company for purely personal reasons. At TRI, the employee essentially sets their own boundaries: you can fly as high (or as low, though within the boundary of making acceptable contributions to your role) as you want. Opportunities for career training are abundant, as are opportunities to work across groups (including internal business development): both contribute significantly to personal fulfillment and/or advancement, and to be honest, I don't know of many companies that offer such an enticing combination. These are not forced things, either, but merely offered and (in my personal opinion) too good to pass up participating in. Other "pros" include that it is extremely easy to get to know everyone in the company (at all levels) if you are enthusiastic enough to care to get to know them!

Cons

I can't really think of any flat-out "cons" to post. This was my first corporate experience (I'd been a lab-dweller to the point that I first joined the company), and I thus regard all moments there as learning experiences.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, keep it all good and real as you have been doing; I have no complaints. One suggestion I do have is that the option to telecommute should be explored (if possible...I do understand that such is not always the case depending upon contract client preferences).

"So glad I am gone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Technical Resources International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job and you do get paid. However, they constantly remind you that you are a salaried employee and make that seem like a huge benefit for all the unappreciative hard work you do. I mean honestly, what the hell, most of the people working here has some type of advanced degree, any future job they get they will probably be a salaried employee. But I bet you only at TRI will they have the audacity to see that as a huge perk and make it seem like it is so unique. For instance, at my current job, we are all salaried employees. And upper management here doesn't even mentions it, and you know what, because something like salaried employee is actually expected not seem as an award.

Cons

This was my first job after receiving my PhD and I was at first very excited and just ignored all the negatives I heard. I didn't even see any of those negatives at first and honestly thought I could make a career here...But then I saw the light. Honestly please take heed of all the negative comments people are posting it's all true. You are under paid for the amount of work you go. So if you do come here, view this as an unpleasant stepping stone to a more prosperous and happy future. The average turnover time when I was there was a year. With a few leaving after only a couple months. They work you hard, so you do learn things, but your hard work goes unnoticed. You are passed up on promotions by people who, and for the lack of a better phrase, kiss the butt of upper management. You have to be in the right clique of people to succeed. Which is good for high school but not a place of business. I honestly ended up hating it here and was so happy to finally leave for a much better job.

Advice to Management

Nothing you haven't heard before. You guys are too set in your ways to change.

3. "TRI"

Current Employee - Clinical Information Specialist II in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Information Specialist II in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Technical Resources International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company for getting into the clinical research field or first job out of college.

Cons

Turnover is high! Management needs to learn how to communicate in a more efficient manner.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Specialist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Technical Resources International (More than a year)

Pros

Gets you in touch with a lot of government research agencies. Pleasant atmosphere. My task area manager is great.

Cons

EXTREMELY corporate structure. Not a lot of room to move up. Experience is highly dependent on task area manager.

Advice to Management

Easing up on the corporate atmosphere would do wonders for morale. Generally a good place to work though.

"just stay away..."

Former Employee - Communications in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Communications in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Technical Resources International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

your coworkers are nice .. .. some of them ... . there's not much nice words i can say about this place..

Cons

management sucks. very condescending. not everyone is on the same page. nepotism *ALOT*. high turnover. waste of time.

Advice to Management

get better managers.

"Management Problems"

Former Employee - Medical Writer in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Writer in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Location is good, some nice coworkers, government contracts.

Cons

Weak and strange management. High turn around. Incompetent managers--only having a degree is considered sufficient. Might be because they want to save money.

Advice to Management

Need to look for competent managers with the skills required for management, not just having a degree.

"Excellent Place for a Recent Grad"

Current Employee - Clinical Research in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Research in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Technical Resources International (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company culture, emphasis on training and development

Cons

Salary is not sufficiently competitive, hard to recruit high quality candidates

Advice to Management

Higher raises to retain personnel

"Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this company to you"

Current Employee - Regulatory Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Regulatory Associate in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Technical Resources International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I really like the people who I work with (I know, I know, this is such a cliche). People are generally nice and polite. In addition, there are many attractive women here. That's never a bad thing.
    -One can select their preferred hours of work, after a probationary period of three months.
    -The responsibilities do not entail a lot of stress

Cons

-I didn't learn anything to advance my career, cultivate my intellect, improve my character, or add to my life during my career at TRI. While employed here, I copied and scanned documents, attached files to emails, composed email messages, updated Excel spreadsheets, shred paper, used Fed Ex, filed away documents in the proper place, and acted as a stereotypical paper pusher while looking good in a suit.
    -There is no room for advancement. One person with my similar job title has been sitting in that small cubicle for over 5 years now.
    -To park in the nearby garage costs $600 per year. Otherwise, you can park at Montgomery Mall and take a 15 minute one-way walk. That's what I did.
    -I get the feeling that people in other departments were essentially picked up off the street and could only get hired by this company. Nonetheless, I worked mostly with those who earned PhDs. Even then, a PhD is unnecessary to do those jobs. I bet that everyone here knows that they could do better than having a career at TRI, but they either: 1) don't care 2) enjoy TRI; or 3) are stuck in this area for one of many reasons
    -As part of the background check, they ask to see your W-2 forms in order to calculate your previous salaries and give you a low-ball salary offer.
    -Too many people here egregiously use the word "utilize" 24:7, and that simple thing drives me crazy.
    -Some people here lack rectitude, considering that someone at TRI, on two separate occasions, stole money from my backpack that was hidden under my desk. I lost $200. Who does that?
    -The company policies are so petty, and I often believe that people at this company do a bunch of useless tasks and draft emails about emails about the upcoming meeting solely to be occupied. My co-workers often describe how to do something when they could have completed the task themselves in a fraction of the time. There is a remarkable lack of efficiency here. There are too many long-winded conversations related to work duties that need no explanation.

"Why Would the Government Support This Company?"

Former Employee - Education and Training in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Education and Training in Bethesda, MD

Pros

The location provides opportunity to go into Bethesda for dinner.

Cons

Totally incompetent management from the President and owner down. Nepotism. Favoritism. You are watched like a hawk, No career opportunities for growth. Look at a manager the wrong way and you are literally walked out the front door. That's why there is high staff turnover. People are fired. Once you are on the bad list, pack your stuff, take it home. Next you will be home with your stuff.

Advice to Management

Advice is that the government sponsors should question why they continue to give money to this organization.
    The CEO is a con, her managers have no idea what they are doing, the company really can't produce a proposal where all the pieces fit. It is interesting to find out who is related to who. If you are not a relative, go someplace else to work.

"Excellent company! Highly Recommended."

Current Employee - Clinical in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Technical Resources International full-time

Pros

What has impressed me the most about Technical Resources International, Inc. is that it is extremely organized and has much higher quality control standards for work processes above other comparative companies in their field- allowing the company to deliver high quality services and products. Wins excellent long-standing contracts for a reason! Also, great diversity for a company that you don’t always see. Nice relaxing facility/work atmosphere, excellent staff, ongoing opportunities for professional development and benefits. Highly recommended based on firsthand experience. As with any job, much success lies in your own work ethic, perspective and your skill set/what you bring to the company uniquely as an individual.

Excellent benefits, low cost medical/dental/vision insurance, annual raises, tuition reimbursement, professional development, free coffee, casual Fridays. Work-life balance and flexible work schedules. Productive workplace and great overall company culture.

Cons

None that I can think of. Must pay for parking.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.