Technicolor Reviews | Glassdoor

Technicolor CEO Frederic Rose
Frederic Rose

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It feels like it's all about the bottom line with zero regard for employee growth or work/life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management highly political" (in 30 reviews)

1. "inspection and packaging"

Former Employee - Inspector/Packer in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Inspector/Packer in Livonia, MI

I worked at Technicolor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

clean invironment to work in and nice people to work for

Cons

No cons liked the job

2. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team. Family like environment

Cons

Everyone seems to be very comfortable and makes growth difficult

"Its ok"

Former Employee - MCT in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - MCT in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Technicolor (Less than a year)

Pros

They have vending machines at lunch

Cons

The work gets easy and boring

"The Good, the Bad, the Ugly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People with amazing talent work here. They are smart with high octane output. When every department is a team of 1 or 2, it means they have to be really good at what they do and for the most part they are.

There’s a genuine camaraderie, integrity, and collaboration among peers (for the most part). Read my “cons” section with a grain of salt. It’s not horrible here; the cons are quite manageable. People who leave the company usually try to come back when they realize the grass isnt greener.

Cons

Changes with this company will give you whiplash. Leadership needs to do a better job communicating and managing those changes.

All the real work is being done in the U.S. but all the decision-making “happens” in France, where there is zero response or sense of urgency. Seriously, nothing gets done because you never hear from them. What is the point of all your VP, SVP titles if decisions don’t actually get made. Or at a minimum, communicate why there’s a delay.

I have to send emails with “read receipt”just to make sure they’re getting my messages because there’s a complete lack of response. Even when you send the note as urgent.

There’s limited growth opportunities. Expect to stay in the job you were hired into for at least 3-5+ years. Even with a title change, the role is essentially the same with no pay increase.

Advice to Management

Move all your leadership to the States where the front line work is actually being done, and you’ll see why our hair is always on fire. Do not work your high productive employees to the bone. They will always jump ship because you don’t pay the, enough to do the work of 10 people"

"Technicolor lead"

Current Employee - Technicolor Lead in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Technicolor Lead in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like my job. I like the insurance the company offers too.

Cons

Company do not put money back into employees. Mostly use temps that are not vested in company. Big turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Hire and pay more. You will get better quality workers.

"Horrible management and environment. Worst company ever."

Former Employee - Junior Producer
    Former Employee - Junior Producer

I worked at Technicolor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Handful of cool people.
    That’s it honestly.

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for
    Extreme micromanagement
    12 - 15 hour days
    Very poor management
    No breaks or lunches
    No growth

Please consider my review before working here.

Work life balance is not available here. Your will be working a minimum of 10 hours a day 100% and that’s if you are lucky. If you leave any earlier it’s frowned upon. You honestly end up working 12 - 15 hour days because it’s the principal and they frown on you leaving any earlier. While I worked here people cried all the time due to being overworked. Employees would claim to be sick in order to go home early, when in reality they were “dehydrated and exhausted” and still went home after 8 hours.

Management is extremely old school. They want to work you to the bone while they reap all the benefits. You truly feel used and unappreciated. There is no progressive thinking here. No project managers. When I put in my 2 weeks my management would not talk to me or include me in anything.

Technology is very outdated. You would think that with it being a technology company they would provide the employees the right equipment. Everything is pieced together, and the only project management software is from the 90’s.

Micromanagement is huge here. At least in marketing services. This is due to poor management. They promote or hire people with no management education, which causes a toxic environment. I would receive text messages to check my emails when the email was received 1 minute ago. That is 100% real not a joke I promise you. Happened all the time.

When I first started they came to me and told me I was to sign away my breaks and lunches because “we all don’t take breaks or lunches here at technicolor” there was no option. I was told to sign them away. Indeed there were no lunch or breaks there. I mean I literally never stopped working to the point I felt mentally exhausted and abused.

Management is very uneducated in being managers. They’re smart in technology and film, but as far as management they have no clue. This causes a constant flow of negative interactions, expectations, and overall environment. They’re are no operations in any sense. Marketing services is a complete mess.

Please take this into account if you are thinking of working here. I would never wish anyone to work here or at least in marketing services. You deserve to be treated as a human.

Advice to Management

Start adapting to the new generations. This
    company is ran on old technology and management. Start hiring people who are qualified and treat your employees right or like humans at least. Major problems that should be fixed.

"Business Operations Lead"

Pros

Many good employees working very hard to make the business successful.

Cons

Leadership team lacked empathy and was unable to set a strategic vision that would be compelling to workforce.

Advice to Management

Reboot.

"sr hardware engineer"

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good environment, great people, nice work place.

Cons

big deal of uncertainty, challenging market space, layoffs are frequent

Advice to Management

join the group and work hard too.

"A rudderless experience"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Technicolor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Lawrenceville office is quite convenient to my home.

Cons

Lack of direction. Questionable business tactics.

Advice to Management

Stop with the buzz word bingo and actually come up with a strategy. Routine layoffs based only on salary results in a skill drain not easily overcome.

"Wish I had better news..."

Current Employee - IT Professional in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Technicolor is still one of Hollywood's bright lights. Do you know how the Oscars have a separate "Scientific and Technical" awards show each February? Those people are my co-workers.

- If you are in Production Services you get to work on things that directly impact movies and TV. The move to digital has changed everything and Technicolor is still strongly competing and committed to being out front.

- All of the people I work with are "Good People" and I enjoy every day that I come into work.

- The money is good, talent and hard work are fairly compensated. Still have 401k matching (you have to wait a year). Bananas in the break room, bagels on Friday.

- As far as Los Angeles workplace environments go, this is one of the better ones, in fact the best I've had personally.

Cons

- The overall experience of being a Technicolor employee is insanely situational. Is your department OK? Is your manager OK? Are you OK? You never know when the next round of cuts will take place or how you will be affected.

- Very tight cost controls, not even Cost of Living raises (in 2018). Routine things like business travel and trade show attendance are gone (unless it's part of your direct job duties).

- I've seen older people let go, and younger people are just leaving. But to be fair, L.A. is full of opportunities right now, so much of this is normal.

- Lack of communication from upper management. As others have said, there is management taking place but real leadership is a vacuum.

- To the extent that I've interacted with European employees, I do see the old double-standard (more vacation time, better workplace protections). But those groups have their own separate problems, so perhaps it's a "Grass is Greener" situation.

- General sense of uncertainty, paranoia, cynicism, and a constant need to look over my shoulder. Has Hollywood always been this way?

Advice to Management

Je vous remercie. J'ai eu l'honneur de servir.