Technicolor Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Technicolor CEO Frederic Rose
Frederic Rose

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work environment, good salary (in 34 reviews)

• work/life balance, good relationship with colleagues, (in 13 reviews)

Cons

"2 worlds of Technicolor Home Entertainment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I worked at Technicolor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid well with good benefits; Workers in Michigan were well trained (in general); Safety was a top priority; Although it took some time, employees worked well (in general) with other departments/areas to accomplish company goals; Employees (in general) took pride in work; Overall, despite closing facilities, Technicolor was great to me and my family.

Cons

Other sites do not share the above Pros; Due to declining product line (DVD, Blu Ray, Video Games) company experienced massive layoffs, including closing facilities; Decisions to close facilities were not based on performance, quality, customer satisfaction, operations that actually made a profit, etc, negatively affecting the best operations in North America and keeping open the poorer operations (Memphis, TN) and then buying additional facilities from competition; Company has gone to more & more temporary work force, laying off leads, material handlers, & supervisors while hiring more Senior Management over last few years; Major projects are often implemented at the worst times, such as beginning of peak season.

Advice to Management

Although, I understand facilities needed to be closed due to declining business, it is a shame that the chaotic zoo of Memphis was the survivor. However, I sincerely appreciate everything that Technicolor has done for me. It was a great ride!

2. "It's ok"

Current Employee - Package Handler in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Package Handler in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job it's ok

Cons

I fond out tomorrow

Advice to Management

Need a higher pay rate

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is located in a convenient, beautiful campus, with CafeTeria, Gym and walking trail around a lake, soccer field and beach volleyball court.

Cons

This French based organization is changing operation directions, way too often, from higher management who don't know how to operate a company in the US.

Advice to Management

Instead of wasting, valuable time to market, for the new products, on sending the jobs to India, where over-promising and under-delivering is a norm, focus on local talent and stop them from leaving the company.

"All the downsides of French management without the benefits of working in Europe"

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The high rate of attrition without the benefit of knowledge-transfer leads to establishing positive working relationships with the survivors in order to achieve goals.
    - Management salaries are relatively great when compared to the hourly rates

Cons

- Haphazard and continual team consolidation entails that employees often are directed to carry out their original responsibilities, as well as those of one, two, or more departed coworkers, without the benefit of knowledge transfer or access to the departed employee's data. Managers realize weeks or months after departures that no one else knows how to perform the functions of the former employees. By that time, there is no way to access the lost data or reclaim "tribal knowledge". This is common across divisions and departments globally.
    - Formal training is virtually non-existent.
    - Work/life balance is a continual chanllenge
    - The president advised that "Our stock price does not support the retention of exceptional talent. We pay no more than market rate, regardless of contribution."
    - The predominant management paradigm is "Trickle-down fear". The French president is quirky, sporadic, and has anger-management issues. His impulsive temperament inspires fear and tension in his direct reports. This in turn is passed down the food chain.
    - The European employees have typical European vacation benefits, which makes them unavailable for extended periods of time, forcing their subordinates and peers in the US, Mexico, and Canada to often carry on "sans aucun aperçu". This is a challenge for many firms, although when it coincides with chronic over-scope it can be particularly difficult.

Advice to Management

Before offboarding employees, it might be beneficial to consider whether their critical knowledge and data has been documented and transferred. Otherwise, others are left to scramble "reinvent that wheel" in addition to carrying out their existing responsibilities. Bear in mind that this dynamic can be completely overwhelming when repeatedly compounded.

5. "Rating"

I have been working at Technicolor full-time

Pros

Team environment, overall a great place to work for.

Cons

No comments to state about this company.

6. "Technicolor"

Current Employee - Material Handler
    Current Employee - Material Handler

I have been working at Technicolor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people there. you stay busy.

Cons

Get paid 7.50 and don't know if you will be working that day that you come in

7. "Lead machine operator,quality assurance scanner"

Current Employee - Lead Member of Technical Staff in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Lead Member of Technical Staff in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

To run three machines that will pack products and make sure the employees on the line produce numbers and production is meet

Cons

Lack of communication and I just want to try to advance

Advice to Management

Honesty

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Technicolor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any pros except the some of the people I work with are great! My boss and coworkers are great!

Cons

The upper management has no clue, they continue to make one bad decision after another with no thought of how it will affect the employees!

Advice to Management

Upper nanagement should give employees a career path that will allow growth and a way to better ourselves. They have lost good people by forcing them to positions they don't wabt!

9. "Really old company in search of new growth market"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Technicolor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice benefits, 4 weeks vacation after 7 years.

Cons

No stock options, but doesn't matter as the stock isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Atmosphere of mistrust and fear, and let's not take any chances on things back at their Memphis TN location. I was client-facing and never had opportunities to advance. Their major market in the USA has been home video and packaged software on disc, then packaging and distribution. Those two industries are approaching end of life quickly. Also they are late to the "lets move all the thinking jobs overseas" with their move of thinking jobs to Mexico.

Advice to Management

Remember you're on an S curve no matter how much of a declining market you own - get busy looking for a new market or you'll be another Kodak story. Communications with your major clients in the entertainment industry has been scattered - clean it up. Give employees a chance to get ownership and they'll start to act like owners.

"Too Bad, it was fun"

I worked at Technicolor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot while I worked at technicolor like how to work in a high stress, high pace environment and I even learned how to use 4 or 5 different ERPs which is great for me.

Cons

The downside of all of this was the work-life balance which was almost non-existent. I worked nearly 60 hours a week. All because there were issues regarding some of the accounting systems. Whenever a problem came up that needed to be addressed it was like upper management played hot potato and didn't want to tackle it themselves. We could look back in some accounts and have years worth of back log that was never adjusted for. And that's were it will be. Forever.