Technology Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Harris

1. "Working at Tech CU"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Technology Credit Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Tech CU is committed to quality of life as well as continuing education. This culture is supported from the top down. Compensation is average and benefits are strong. Time off benefits are generous which further supports the quality of life commitment. Leadership team is very strong and innovative. The small size of the company (just over 200 employees) gives everyone exposure to senior leaders. Promotion from internal employees is supported where possible.

Cons

Although in many ways, the small size of the company is a benefit, it adversely impacts employees' ability to move up in the organization, particularly is the smaller administrative support groups. Due to the not-for-profit status of credit unions, compensation is not competitive with Silicon Valley high tech companies; however, I have found it is a worthwhile trade off for the qualify of life.

Advice to Management

Keep heading the direction your heading, particularly with internal employee development programs.

Jul 29, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your comments! And yes, in smaller orgs it is not always as straightforward as we'd like to have clear and available promotion paths or as easy to compete with the ... More

2. "Credit union"

Former Employee - Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA

Pros

Close staff, nice people, good locations, decent quality of life, flexible work options , decent commute, relaxed atmosphere, good reputation

Cons

Pay, weak bonus program, bad raises, super top heavy, bad technology, weak corporate cash management, could have better SBA programs especially express

Advice to Management

Better raises

Mar 17, 2016 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts here on Glass Door. Our pay-for-performance and merit-based compensation philosophy is something that we stand by as a way to attract and ... More

3. "Great People but Industry Incestuous"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

The industry is incestuous and hard to get into.

Advice to Management

Be open to getting in new blood instead of promoting only from within.

Mar 17, 2016 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for your comments, both the pro and con. We work to ensure that our staff has ample opportunity for advancement while always keeping an eye for out for talented people outside the ... More

5. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Technology Credit Union (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, can create great working relationships and flexible.

Cons

Morale seems to be dipping.

Aug 13, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective, both the pros and the cons. We take concerns over issues like morale seriously, whether expressed here or in our regular engagement surveys ... More

6. "Great place to work. Feels like working in a family oriented environment"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Technology Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's relatively small company. Everyone knows each other. Friendly and caring

Cons

As any other small company, career advancement is limited

7. "Great people, good company to work for"

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time

Pros

Most people are friendly & helpful, people like what they are doing & the company as a whole. Most employees fall into two groups: very long timers(10plus years) or under 2 years. Not many people in between the two groups. Excellent in-house training programs.

Cons

Company direction got a little confused, a lot of moving people & depts around as they tried to decide on a direction. A few managers are not "people" friendly or considerate... very cold actually. Most managers are great.

"Worked at Technology Credit Union for 3 years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company everyone knows each other, flexibility

Cons

Hard to deal with some employees as they can be arrogant and disrespectful. Micro management, slow to none career growth

Advice to Management

When you have received complaints about a manager, either get them to improve immediately or fire them. Don't simply pay for their coaching sessions.

"Great until new management and strategy directions changed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Small company everyone knows each other and supports one another.

Cons

Employees can be stifled, and passed over for promotions

Advice to Management

Take a look at who you have within your team before offering positions to others with impressive resumes, that wont or cant deliver results

10. "Relationship Banker"

Pros

Great Vacation compensation, work life balance and career opportunities.

Cons

Not sure what to say here.

Dec 11, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that we're heading in the right direction with our work-life balance and other areas. We appreciate our employees!!

"More of a Bank Environment"

I worked at Technology Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely not the best benefits package I've seen but there pretty decent! The company prides themselves on personal/work life balance, but recently I felt like this motto has changed and the company is more demanding of time with the added pressure to meet and exceed sales goals!

Cons

I wouldn't be surprised it TechCU finally moved forward and converted to a bank! It definitely feels like bank environment! High sales goals, cold calling, pressure of turning every interaction with a member into a sale! Those who work in banks.. Sound familiar?! What happened to the personal side of banking?!
    Back office "open door policy" they claim to be open door and will be there to support you, but unless you are considered highly liked or favored or protected by someone in the company don't bother wasting your time and getting caught up in company politics!
    High turnover rate! The company doesn't seem to be able to hold on to real talent! Some positions on the career site have been up for months, if you notice most are front line positions working in the branches!
    The company is always open for suggestions for improvement and innovating which can be hit or miss! They are really slow to move on some ideas and on others it can be the speed of light! The company is always changing, they implement ideas so quickly, it hard to keep everyone on the same page!
    They're changed the format of the branches making smaller branches covered with three people! Thats not enough coverage! They've gotten rid of teller lines, don't want to waste time with mundane routine transactions! Sales, sales, sales!
    Pending on who you are and your connections promotions can be difficult to get!

Advice to Management

Listen more to your front line staff!
    Protect your talent!
    Lower your sales goals!
    Making work enjoyable!

Nov 17, 2015 – Organizational and Talent Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on your time with Tech CU. The rapid pace of change in the financial services sector can be daunting, as can the balancing act of managing ... More