Technology Service Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Syracuse

1. "TSC is a Great Company"

Current Employee - Intermediate Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Intermediate Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the last three years the company has grown and hired new people with an emphasis on diversity and technical excellence. Communication with employees is excellent.

Cons

The company has enjoyed 60% growth in the last three years. Can't be argued with, but a few people would rather content themselves with complaining rather than being positive and constructive.

Advice to Management

You are on the the right track. The employee-owners support management and the job they are doing. The 2017 business plan just briefed to everyone is tops.

2. "Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Graduate Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small Company, Diversity of assignments

Cons

Small company, lack of mentors and peers

Advice to Management

Pay attention to staff training and needs

"Decent Company"

Former Employee - Technical Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Development in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Care about you as long as there is a contract to charge your time to.

Cons

Very cut throat, contract ends and you are out.

"Sights on the Future, a Growing Company"

Current Employee - Employee-Owner in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Employee-Owner in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee-owned, well managed, growing small business. Diversifying into commercial market to not only balance workload between it and our traditional DoD work, but to provide an avenue to increase our automated test and control business and expand our capabilities. This engages our engineering groups providing diversified projects and using varying skills not always required for typical DoD consulting work.

Cons

Primary customer is DoD, so business growth can be tied to the DoD budget. Sometimes you have to be more flexible than is comfortable, but must trust that your performance has been such that the customer will always want to fund you; it just may take some time getting to you.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing hard on business development and submitting both DoD and Commercial proposals. You may expect to win only 20% or so of bids, so that's a lot of work necessary to have a good sized portfolio of active contracts. Engage your employees and listen to them as you have continuously over the years; your employees are your best asset!

"TSC Review"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Stafford, VA

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is employee owned. The management and employees, especially in the Northern Virginia offices, are competent, caring and professional. The company culture was business casual, but more formal when their customers needed.

Cons

Too much of the company's business were subcontracts, which constrained the employee relationships with the Government customers.

Advice to Management

Keep engaged and aggressively pursuing prime contract business and

7. "FANTASTIC Year!"

Current Employee - RF Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - RF Engineer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

The company is a great place to work. I have worked for three companies in my career to date. This is the best. I have had the opportunity to support challenging national defense programs and enjoy the benefits of employee ownership.

Cons

The company is an easy place to work and growing. We just received word that growth this year will be in the double digits. Great but I sometime worry that new employees like me will not appreciate the work ethic necessary to prosper.

Advice to Management

As an employee owner I'm happy. Management leaders: keep up the good work.

"Not to be trusted"

Former Employee - Technician in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Technician in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work when you can get the parts you need. Close to home. A couple of good people there but that's it.

Cons

Engineers won't take comments or suggestions from anyone who doesn't have an engineering degree. Supervisor would take forever to return calls or prepare quotes despite repeated requests. Management is only concerned with money and not employees.

"A sinking ship.  ​I do not trust TSC’s current management."

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

TSC had a great reputation. Offices are nice. Technology Service Corporation does have flexible hours.

Cons

Most of the technical and managerial talent that built the good reputation of TSC have left the organization.

Many divisions are shrinking or going away completely.  Many of the long time division managers have recently left (Huntsville, Los Angeles, Colorado, Indiana, etc.)

TSC is an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) company and has been for the past 20 years.  2014 was the first year that TSC’s stock declined in 20 years.  Bob Graziano was the CEO and President of TSC for 20 years and left TSC in June 2013 (just before the stock declining). Mike Syracuse is the current CEO and President of TSC. I do not trust TSC’s current management.

It seems that the internet is filled with information about the tactics used by Bob Graziano and Mike Syracuse to ensure that Graziano was able to cash out all of his ESOP – but at the detriment of TSC’s (non-executive) employees.

As the sayings goes:
    “If you don’t like the rules, change them.” and “It’s good to be king.”

For more information please search the web on:TSC ESOP

It seems that management cares very little for their employees .  I will talk about what they do to their customers.

Advice to Management

Come clean about Graziano and Syracuse illegally raiding the employee’s ESOP retirement plan and harming the employees’ of TSC.

Get new management – Management, especially Mike Syracuse, has to go or TSC and its reputation will go nowhere but lower.

Commit to returning to the principles upon which the company was built. Be honest with your customers, prospects, employees and vendors.

"Rewarding, but Frustrating"

Former Employee - Research Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Technology Service Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working here was a great learning experience, branching into a variety of technical areas; especially as my first job out of college. Solid benefits package, employee owned.

Cons

Reliance on SBIR's means chronic funding problems; which leads to excessive overhead costs - and in the long run layoffs when the situation doesn't improve. Little chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

TSC doesn't need any more subsidiaries, focus on shoring up the divisions that already exist.

"Develop diverse skills."

Current Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bloomington, IN

Pros

Great benefits. Diverse challenges. Acquire many different skills. The coworkers are very friendly and everyone has an entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Dealing with government contracts are risky. Although the benefits are currently good, they have been eroding over the years. The new CEO's background is finance and the culture is starting toward just looking at the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Being in the technology world, it is important to keep employees technically sharp. Don't skimp on training, technical classes, and investment in research and development.