KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Techtonica Reviews

Updated Sep 6, 2022

Found 10 of over 10 reviews

4.7

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,930

973 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Changed my life

Sep 6, 2022 - Software Developer In Training
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free, with stipends available -Laptops are available to borrow for the duration of the bootcamp -Fully remote -Community Support (mentors, staff, and others) -Technical knowledge & Soft Skill Development -(paid) Job Placements are part of the program

Cons

-Can't think of any cons

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Life-changing journey!! Highly recommend Techtonica!

Aug 15, 2022 - Software Engineer In Training
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Supportive environment and people (Techtonica staff, mentors, volunteers, cohort members) - You get to realize your career and personal potential. You also get to share your journey with cohort members and this is truly the most valuable experience - Stipends provided for 6 months and this helped me to focus on studying - Almost guaranteed placement after the program which is a huge plus since the first internship/job is extremely difficult to find especially for people switching careers. It's not guaranteed but you will most likely have a placement - Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. Techtonica emphasizes the most important thing is that you have a growth mindset and feel comfortable asking questions

Cons

Just want to let people know 6 months is still a short time to learn a lot of new things. You will feel overwhelmed and stressed from time to time. This is completely normal and expected. Techtonica is very supportive so if you are having a hard time, they are there to listen and help you out with resources they have.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

This program will change your Life!!!

Aug 16, 2022 - Software Engineer In Training
    Business Outlook

Pros

- An awesome supportive community! - Daily code challenges - Weekly projects - Team collaborations - Daily and weekly Q&A's - Great discussions on understanding work place environments, how to welcome a growth mindset, work place bias/ personal bias and dealing with imposter syndrome etc... This program not only taught me javascript but empowered my own abilities to stay accountable within my learning process and learn how to identify my own attitudes, moods and signs that lead to burnout, frustration and stagnation. I was given many resources on The Growth Mindset, which in turn really helped me overcome many obstacles while learning to code. Not only was this encouraged by the Staff and Mentors but this also cultivated a cohort environment where we all helped each other as apprentices/students and never let one another give up. This was the most supportive, yet intensive program I had ever been in. I'm extremely grateful for this opportunity. The Staff is very encouraging and really concerned about your overall well being. We had weekly 1:1's with staff where we discussed our individual issues and discussed any personal issues affecting our work or just random topics. This created a bond and trust as this showed how much they really cared about us and encouraged our betterment!

Cons

- You will be focusing all of your time on this! (They do encourage unplugging on weekends) - You will have to be strict about your "Me" time, because you will learn you can't go without it. - Ever spent all day coding then dreamt about code challenges you couldn't solve? Get ready! - Do you hate asking questions or feeling like you don't know the answer when asked? This program will kinda force you to ask as many questions as possible, but also come up with questions you may have not normally asked. (This is a con because at first you may be uncomfortable but it ends up being a pro) - Hate acronyms and work jargon? Welp it's a lot of that in Tech. - You will eventually be pushed out of the nest =( This place is very supportive and it also prepares you for your future work. But the daily encouragement & support from staff and cohort members is kind of hard to break from cold turkey! ( we have weekly meetings during our apprenticeships though)

4. 5.0

An Incredible Journey

Aug 9, 2022 - Software Engineer In Training in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You learn a full stack (PERN: Postgres, Express, React and Nodejs), agile development, workplace conduct, self care and so much more! Each participant is given their own mentor for support and tons of volunteers that are always available to help. The curriculum is outstanding and the pace is just right!

Cons

Not many con other than it's difficult but that comes with any bootcamp where you have to learn so much in a short amount of time. Techtonica understand this however and supports each particants with their own personal mentor, hundreds of volunteer enginners available to help as well as teach and enforcing self-care through the journey!

5. 5.0
    Former Employee

An opportunity that can't be missed!

Jul 25, 2022 - Apprentice Electrician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paid living stipend so you can focus on your studies LOTS of support, experienced mentors, will leave having built full stack apps You will grow as a person. You will feel leave here with a great foundation to succeed going forward.

Cons

None really. There were some minor things such as a few topics that could've been better in a different order for example, but with feedback these changes were either implemented during my time there or improved upon for the next cohort.

6. 5.0

Thankful

Jun 29, 2022 - Software Engineer In Training
    Business Outlook

Pros

The program is very open, and they really want to make sure you succeed! You have to of course also be ready to put in the work to make that happen as well. While in the program, you are provided a laptop if needed, stipends, and you get placed with an internship at the end of the program.

Cons

It can be overwhelming in the beginning as there are so many things to learn. Some projects were a little confusing, but they have taken feedback to ensure changes go into them to avoid that for future participants.

7. 5.0

Techtonica is Life Changing

Dec 23, 2021 - Software Engineer Apprentice
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are a motivated woman or a non-binary adult trying to break into tech, this is the program for you! Techtonica is a free remote program that may offer a small stipend for living expenses and a computer to borrow. The program is a full-stack software engineering program consisting of 6 months of very intense self-taught learning with lots of mentor support and collaboration. Then another 6 months working as an apprentice/intern software engineer at a sponsor company. There is a possibility of conversion to full time employment after the internship. What you put in is what you get out. PROS: A FREE complete learning experience with lots of support, "family friendly", speaker series( tech workers with different roles speak about their careers), and you can connect with the speakers directly on LinkedIn, amazing networking opportunities, in addition to programming skills/languages/technologies there is a focus on diversity and inclusion, and soft skills. The staff at Techtonica are very transparent, proactive, personable and responsive. My Story: I quit my teaching career after 15 years. I went back to school and earned a Bachelors of Science in IT. Unfortunately, the degree didn't give me the tech/programming skills that are needed to become a software engineer. ( I realize now that you can have a non-traditional background without a degree and still become a software engineer.) I spent another 4 years coding in my spare time. It was painstakingly slow. I would get stuck in my code and didn't know anyone that could help me. I didn't have a mentor and I wasn't successful learning alone. Finally, at a Node SF meetup, I heard about a program for women called Techtonica. It took me a year to get up the courage to apply. I applied and wasn't accepted. I kept coding and practicing for 5 more months, applied again and was accepted! I practiced using Techtonica's open source curriculum, Free Code Camp, Wes Bos videos, and Angela Yu's Udemy web development course. Once accepted into the program, I took advantage of every opportunity that was offered by the program. Techtonica changed my life. I now have connections that I can reach out to, soft skills to navigate this demanding field, a solid full-stack programming foundation and two outstanding mentors that I can reach out to anytime. I have an internship that helps pay the bills and I will be learning even more. I feel that my software engineer career is finally taking off!

Cons

none that I can think of

8. 4.0
    Former Intern

One of the best leaps of faith and decision I made that paid off at the end!

Dec 22, 2021 - Bootcamp Instructor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Full-Stack Engineering Skills - Soft and Behavioral Skills training - Technical Mentor - Mock Interviews, Code Assessments, and 1:1 Meetings - Guest speakers and events

Cons

- Remote learning can be hard and challenging to connect more with people - Curriculum and instructions given to cohort mates can sometimes be misaligned or do not match (They are very quick to resolve the issue though when it happens)

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great program!

Aug 27, 2021 - Software Engineering Apprentice in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- camaraderie among other folks from underrepresented groups (I've met some of the most exceptional people in this program. I care so much for my cohort mates!) - building a network among folks who care about fostering inclusive workspaces - high likelihood for an internship (everyone was happy with their placements!) - free program with potential for stipend - great staff and mentors - great pace (6mo vs 3mo) - an intro do data structures and algorithms (I didn't expect this, but was so glad we did it) - a LOT of prep and practice for interviews (seriously--I don't know where we could have gotten this kind of help elsewhere. It makes a difference when you practice with folks you've worked with who've gotten to know you) - accountability and transparency from staff

Cons

- even with a lot of help from staff, you've got to be motivated to learn on your own and hopefully have some friends who can help you outside of Techtonica

10. 2.0
    Former Contractor

Sep 13, 2020 - Apprentice
    Business Outlook

Pros

Apprenticeship placement upon graduation is best part

Cons

Inconsistent and unclear expectations are troubling

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews