Tecomax Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Tecomax CEO / President Stephane Bitton
Stephane Bitton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A Working Experience Worse than Anything I Could Have Imagined"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I now understand just how utterly vindictive and abusive a company can really be.

Cons

This "job" is a scam.

1. They're training program is about a week long. You will not be paid for training.

2. You are required to pay for the cost of your own drug test.

3. In the interview they will tell you that you can expect to earn $2000 per month. This is a bald faced lie. Be advised: the market for privatized energy has been saturated. There is very little money to be made selling it, and it is 100% commission.

4. You will be expected to work 6 days a week, 12 hours per day. Again, this is 100% commission, so if you don't make anything, you are out of luck.

5. When I was forced to quit that "job" since it was not paying my bills, and I was unable to actively search for work while working there (since I was working 72 hours per week), and was forced to file for unemployment through the military, they went out of their way to tell the Texas Workforce Commission that they were my employer, which is also a bald-faced lie. Because I filed W9s, and not W4s with them, technically, I was self-employed, and not an employee of their company; a fact they went out of their way to point out during the training program. This is why they are able to make you work without actually paying you; and because of this, they never paid a red cent in unemployment taxes for me -- and yet they told the TWC that I had been an employee of theirs. Complete falsehood. I now have to go through a lengthy appeals process to get my unemployment benefits, and in the meantime, my rent is coming due. I will probably have to borrow money from my parents or temporarily accept a high school caliber job (after a career as a military officer) because of these crooks.

These people will steal your life, pay you nothing, and then go out of their way to urinate on your corpse.

STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

Conning people into working for nothing is one thing. Going out of your way to screw with them after the fact is indefensible.

"Worst Decision Ever"

I worked at Tecomax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to make as much as you want, quick advancement, ability to move up the chain of command quickly

Cons

100% commission, they lie and deceive you saying that you will get a base plus commission. Pay structure is unclear and lucrative, they expect you to travel for weeks at a time. Long hours and they try to say it's not really door to door but it is 100% cold knocking with a "pre qualified list" terrible hours as well as long hot days = high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with trainees about pay structure, be more professional during training sessions

"Seriously the best Company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Tecomax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite all these horrible things I've read about this company I've actually haven't worked for a better company. I've been in several different industries. First off this company does not suck the life out of you nor does it ruin relationships as the post below would lead you to believe. Tecomax is a business. Any person that has a contract with our company are held up to the most professionalism. Tecomax isn't a scam. We have been in business for over 20 years. We are recognized by the BBB and also a foutune 500 company. We give fantastic oportunites so many, many people. We only hire the best to represent the top Retail Energy Providers. We take pride in each and every person that we hire. I am highly upset with the bad mouthing these ex agents put on this website. This business has been there for my thick and thin. We are all family here at Tecomax!

Cons

The only challenge that you would find is that this isn't a show up and get paid job. Hard work gets you further than you think!

Advice to Management

The management are the backbone of this company, extremely experienced and take care of every single person that is apart of this team.

"Don't be fooled!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

little to no hiring qualifications, they will hire anyone.

Cons

This company does not care about its employees at all. You can
    Fail your drug test so there are lots of drug users working here as well. I worked here for over a year and saw many people end up 10x worse than they started off when they walked in the doors. They do a great job of promising the world and not delivering. I was told many times I would be running an office soon and never saw a single piece of that either. There were many failed deals that I would call the customer to ask why the cancelled and they would have service with reliant. So it seems to me that this company is very dishonest on payment as well. The
    Management is very two faced, I had to move for a week and got a text from the national that it was his goal to eliminate me after I had been a top producer in the company for over a year, writing between 12-20 deals consistent on a weekly basis. Like I said they do not care about there employees, during this time I had also qualified to go on a paid vacation for the company. I worked very hard, they did not deliver on that either. Everything about this place is a lie! Stay away at all
    Costs!!!! There is also no benefits or compensation here at all your 1099.

Advice to Management

dont lie to your employees, value your hard working ones. Don't lie about your business and pay people for what they have done.

"Agent Rep. Reliant - (DFW and Houston)"

Former Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They gave me opportunities to move in and out of state which I thought was really cool especially since I had not finished college yet. They hired me which felt good especially since I had been on many interviews with people who told me either I didnt qualify or was over qualified. After going through the training course for Tecomax's Reliant team, I was able to make $1,300 my 1st week, $1,100 my 2nd week and $4,300 my 3rd week + my Bonuses. I had no issues like those below. I would even ask: Why did you work for 2-3 years with those guys if you were that miserable? the money was amazing, they work with schedules and they promote fast?

Cons

They worked with my school schedule and I only needed to work 3-5 days a week to make $1,000 a week so I have no Cons really. I was able to do this consistantly for 3 years. I had to move to a non deregulated state so I had to give up the job : (

Advice to Management

Duplicate your DFW team and make an office in Florida for us to work at! Please!

"Waste of time JOB"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Tecomax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If they had a no star rating i would click that. Dont do it ppl. They lie to you from the start. U will loose alot working for them. Its lies all over

Cons

waste of time JOB. Dont do it. You will loose time money and your family if you do.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to ppl to get them to work for yall

"Answer to management"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Tecomax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very easy to get hired here, like all the posts say below. Drug tests can be failed, some might consider this a pro...
    Lots of smiling faces.

Cons

all the positive reviews here are clearly from management. It's clear especially if you have ever worked in management of this company. The money stated at 4300 in a week plus bonuses is BS. I know the girl that holds the company record for DFW largest check offices! And she doesn't work there anymore. This place is built upon lies and deceit. I strongly recommend to stay away, the are master manipulator sand liars. And the article about long hours translates into around 11 dollars per hour is exactly right, plus no taxes taken out so subtract 20% from that $11 to boot. Am so glad I left this company, I now have the best benefits ever for my family and work in an excellent environment, my life is so much better since I left. And the reason I stayed so long is because, like I said, they are master manipulators and amazing lairs!

Advice to Management

Stop your lies and stop ruining people's
    Lives to gain on your finances.

"If you have options, avoid Tecomax"

I worked at Tecomax full-time

Pros

You do have to sort through the BS sales pitch the hiring and on-boarding people sell you (they get compensated based on A) getting you to the interview, B) getting you to the training, and C) getting you to stay the entire training. Obviously, their primary concern is making you stick around and they definitely take liberties with the truth to ensure that you do......

BUT, the potential to make money is definitely there. While I'm obviously not recommending the company, there's no denying that people make money working for them - some even good money. I too had some good days/weeks (but in my opinion the money was not worth the price). I never had any clawback issues - real or false as others have mentioned.

This could be a con as well, but if you have a (non violent) criminal record, they will still hire you (loosely using "hire" since, as an independent contractor, you won't technically work for them). As others have mentioned, they will also do their best to "help" you pass a drug test.

Cons

First off, walk into the interview with your BS meter on - it might start to go off so often you think it's broken, it's not.

There are a lot of them and some of the other reviewers have mentioned most of them, but here's a list anyway:

100% commission? - Yes, no sales, no pay.

Benefits? - NONE

(Lack of) Culture? - MONEY; everything is about MONEY. It is the sole motivating force.

Door to door? - You bet, ALL door to door.

Long hours? - Yes. Considering that it is all commission it is downright infuriating that you'll already have been at work for close to 4 hours before you can even attempt a sale. At which point you still have 7-8 hours "in the field" left. After all that (a total of 11-12 hours), you still have to get home from wherever you are. Tecomax say they have workshops for your benefit, but I saw very little useful information and/or training during these. Rather, this time is mostly spent listening to managers talk about how much money they make, and how much money they want to make, not to mention stupid stuff they throw away money at.

Think about this, working for $10/h for 12 hours/day you'd be making $120/day guaranteed working these same hours - compare that to the numerous days where

Turnover? - Super high, for obvious reasons.

The pitch? - The pitch you will be selling your customers does not necessarily match with reality. As far as I could tell, most reps don't seem to understand this, but the bottom line is that you will likely be screwing people over. Some you will help, but don't buy into this cheap trick. It's a big ol' double suck; it sucks for your customer because they just got screwed, and it sucks for you when that feel-good feeling dissipates and you realize how you screwed the customer - good luck enjoying that money (maybe you lack empathy and can, in which case, go get 'em tiger).

Hot leads? - Yeah, not so much. You will receive "leads" but all these are, are people who are pre-qualified for the rates you're pitching - which essentilly means they pay their bills somewhat on time. So it's more like P2P cold calling.

Saturated market? - Yes. Now, Tecomax will tell you that they are selling something everyone needs no matter what (power), and that's true obviously, but they will not tell you that the people amenable to change are already educated and know to shop around. The people who are clueless, well, most of them won't change because you show up for the third time. Which leads me to the fact that you will hit up areas that have been hit up before, repeatedly, by Tecomax and a plethora of reps from other companies.

There's more, but frankly, I'm tired of typing (since I saved the cons section for last), so I'll close by saying this:

Remember, there are people who make good money here, and some have managed to turn their lives around by working at Tecomax - maybe you are one of these people. But more likely, you'll end up hating your experience with Tecomax and will regret the moment you stepped inside the door at their office. So, if you have other options, exercise them!

Advice to Management

1. You don't have to deceive people and clients in order to make money!

2. In terms of management in general, any company where you promote the best performers instead of the best managers will, most of the time, have a leadership deficiency; this is the case at Tecomax as well. So my number one recommendation is, hire/promote the best leaders, not the leading sellers.

3. Don't make money the ONLY incentive. Stop talking about how much money you have and how much money you spend on stupid stuff and start helping your "employees" make money in an ethical way

4. If you are going to sell "employees" on how much money they are saving people, maybe you should make sure that said people actually save money. Waaaay too many reps believe the hooky math you sell them during training - and in some cases it is right - but make sure they understand how to do math on promotions as well... Because I did, and my math did not get me anywhere near as cheap as you claimed in your math (and my 94th percentile GMAT score says I'm decent at math). My bet is that you'd see far fewer clawbacks if people received the correct estimates/numbers/rates - although, you'd probably see fewer total sales as well; I guess it's down to your conscience, mine did not stick it out at your company for too long.

5. IF you don't want to actually hire people, make sure they know that they will have to pay taxes on their earnings down the line.

My guess is that not all of the managers understand that and how their company deceives both "employees" and end customers (consumers sold the products, not the client company) - either that or they are phenomenal liars (but considering how transparent a lot of other disinformation and lies were, I doubt that this is the case. If this is you, as an individual manager, stop drinking your own cool aid! I'm not saying that you aren't making money - I know you are - but take a moment and step back, look at the big picture and ask yourself if your money is worth the shady parts of making a living working for Tecomax.

Also, final thought, why bother with a drug test when you go out of your way (as in having others pee for drug users) to make sure people pass it.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX

Pros

If your aleady experienced you can make money but you have to not get brainwashed by the mastermind crap and theyre work remedies

Cons

From national to regional is horrible a bunch of money hungry negros that doesnt know how to conduct business they claim to make alot of monet in this business when half the people working their doesnt have a car nor a place to live the regionals and nationals are making all the money its almost like they're pimping they also teach you how to scam

Advice to Management

need all new management

"Some Growth Opportunity, but very shady."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Can get promoted very fast, if you work hard and the managers like you. Easy interview. Door to Door sales looks good on a resume.

Cons

A percentage of what you sell will be charged back and it's not always clear why. I knew people who owed the company money after a week of work because their previous sales were getting charged back. If you have a car they will use and abuse it if you let them. You get $20 per week for being part of the car pool, but get ready to drive a minimum of 2 hours everyday. Some days I spent 5 hours driving. They don't compensate you for wear and tear on the car and I used way more gas than $20 worth each week.Half the office is on hard drugs including the managers (Pittsburgh office). No benefits, and no guaranteed pay. Literally almost anyone can get through the interview process because they have such high employee turnover, most people quit after 3 months. The product they sell (NRG Home) really isn't helping anyone like they tell you, which is why they target very low income areas for their door knocking to reach people who don't really understand what they are signing up for. Also they set bonuses almost every week , but good luck getting them. I was promised around $700 in bonuses if I hit a goal, but then due to some strange reasoning that the rest of the office didn't do well, I never saw that money. I was never told that my bonus for that week depended on how others did. In fact out of 3 months working there I got paid one bonus out of 5 earned. If you count the number of hours you spend in the office, driving and selling you will find that you're making close to minimum wage on an above average sales week. You will be an independent contractor which means that you also have to set aside 20% of your pay for tax season because that's not taken out, so really your earning less than minimum. However they treat you like an employee and threaten termination if you actually try to set your own hours like they say you can. Finally, since I quit I still haven't received my last 3 checks and it's been 4 months now. In summary not worth it for anyone. There are better door to door sales companies out there who sell better products.

Advice to Management

Be more professional. Don't lie to your employees or otherwise keep them in the dark about important information especially considering pay. Get hard drugs out of he office. Stop wasting hours of potential knocking time in the morning and early afternoon going over the same crap with the same people.