Ted Baker London Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Raymond Stuart Kelvin

Pros
Cons
  • Poor management, low pay and long hours (in 8 reviews)

• Management is concerned more about how they look towards upper management rather than as a team, (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good Environement"

I have been working at Ted Baker London part-time

Pros

The team was great. There was a sense of community and reliability amongst the team; you knew employees from other stores. Training was very important and progress was followed up with every month.

Cons

Not much except that I wish parking was paid for.

2. "Loved working here because of my own brand loyalty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are some of the best people you'll meet, the clothing allowance is great. Every now and then, there are some nice incentives throughout each season, there definitely is growth within the company

Cons

Too many management tiers gets confusing

Advice to Management

Look to your people who actually work hard, pay attention to their strengths and listen to their feedback.

3. "Management Ruins the Show-No Appeciation of Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ted Baker London part-time

Pros

Stunning clothing, very unique and much to learn.

Cons

Managers are very buddy buddy don't know how to hire associates so turnaround is laughably high. Schedules the weirdest ever seen after years in retail- work life balance not respected on retail level. Impossible to grow if your aren't besties with management even with more experience than them. For an expensive brand the quality in some products is hard to defend. Clothing allowance isn't enough for a PT associate who has to pay rent, but there is pressure to be dressed in the brand's clothes.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your staff instead of hiring but not bothering to train, then blaming them for mistakes and firing instead of offering advice. Promote competent staff. Don't make snarky comments at your staff, it's demeaning.

5. "Growth and Development! Leaders are Welcomed"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Luxury retail at its finest! This Company is an elevated Brand without all the cold stuffiness that you would normally get with upscale retailers. Ted Baker is a warm, friendly and "Quirky" No Ordinary Design Label! I love Ted Baker because when they talk about growth and development they mean it. They give you the budget and payroll and time to invest into your team

Cons

I love the Brand too much to really say that there are any cons. We have a Clothing cap per season that allows us to only buy a "set " amount of TB clothing at a VERY generous discount "the amount set" is based upon position and status of PT v.s. FT v.s. exempt/non-exempt. If any thing, because I LOVE wearing Ted Baker at a discount, this clothing cap could always be greater

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people! This is the cornerstone of your success

6. "Mediocre place to work"

Pros

Love the clothes and you get to wear them to work
    Nice discount for a non-luxury brand

Cons

Poor Management-inexperienced and lacks direction
    Poor Pay-Similiar jobs for other brands pay more
    Long Hours-not a healthy work life balance

Advice to Management

Retail is always a challenge, but provide a decent wage

7. "Would not suggest unless you're hired on as a manager."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ted Baker London (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is great. I enjoyed their selection of clothes. Brand is pretty good with keeping current with the fashion industry

Cons

Too much emphasis on upt, also very greedy when it comes to getting a raise or even more hours.. (Which I've earned.) Very bad at inspiring sales associates, feels like a cookie cutter process.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring incompetent people whom you have to train anew and consider current, adept sales associates instead. I also feel I was always kept part time in order for you to be able to avoid giving me benefits. Real classy

8. "Store Manager"

Pros

Amazing people, great product, major focus on internal growth, and fun.

Cons

Too much focus on operations

9. "A great (but very greedy) company"

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time

Pros

Amazing people, delightful clients, fantastic products, gorgeous store, full benefits

Cons

Management can be incompetent, which lowers the productivity of the store and the morale of the team. The pay is horrendous and there is no commission. Bonuses are almost impossible to make, and the amount of responsibility of the sales associates to drive business is unequal to the amount the company is willing to pay.

Advice to Management

If you want the best, you have to pay for the best. Stop nickel and diming the people you bring onto your team so that they have incentive to make the store successful. Pay them what they are WORTH, not simply what you think you can get away with. Stop hiring people with no experience who lack the skills necessary to raise the quality of service at your stores.

10. "Was very excited to work for such a fun and quirky brand - unfortunately the manager sets the tone"

Former Employee - Floor Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Floor Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Ted Baker London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my fellow sales associates. They were hard workers and fun to spend time with. Enjoyed getting to know them. Good health benefits

Cons

Due to many negative reasons there was a turn over issue with management from beginning as well as double standards when it came to associates. Management sets the tone and unfortunately the manager in charge created a very unhealthy and unhappy work atmosphere for the employees. Everyone expressed the same issues from receiving only negative feedback and no positive reinforcement, being told to figure it out yourself when you asked how to do something, obvious difference in treatment depending on associate, etc. I know this is not always the case in other ted stores so it was sad to see this happen at this location. Also major issues with IT, and programs that run the inventory. Tons of tedious reports and weekly deadlines that takes time off the sale floor which is where you should be.

Advice to Management

I know upper corporate management is suppose to have the store manager's back. But when the manager is the problem who is going to help the rest of the team? When there are continuous issues with the happiness of the team, fear of backlash if you say anything, bad communication between team and manager, sales associates not being taught basic ops and a high turn over rate you need to look at the bigger picture and have the back of those that make up the team as well. Sometimes it is the head of the fish that needs to be cut off.

11. "So much potential"

Current Employee - Stock Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Stock Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Ted Baker London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k eligibility for all employees with contribution matching. Free base health insurance. Ability for growth, and locations all over the world.

Cons

I.T., POS Systems, Allocations, Departmental communication is a work in progress.