Teddy Bear Portraits Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Pat Cornelius

1. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, create your own hours, friendly work environment

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about my experience

"If you like working for free..."

Former Employee - Field
    Former Employee - Field

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Downtime around the holidays and summer was nice if you can afford it.

Cons

You'll be expected to be on calls and video conferences for no pay, weekly Fed Ex or bank deposits on your time and gas, usually Saturdays. You'll buy the baby wipes and tissues.The disastrous fall of 2015 when Legacy bought Nationwide was insane, my area would not book pic day in spring of 2016. Home office staff have favorites in the field, I wasn't one of them so it was tough to get my issues addressed, some home office staff need a maturity check - unprofessional behavior continued despite previous CEO and VP's being aware of it. Issues reported by us in the field may or may not be handled, hard to be heard and rarely felt respected by people who had consistent, predictable paychecks in TN. In the field, we were on commission. Heavy wear and tear on you and your vehicle with little compensation. Clear, candid communication is in short supply. Poorly performing employees are allowed to languish, affecting our income.

Account Reps expected to meet a visit quota on their own gas and time since they're expected to work year round to meet a weekly quota even if their area isn't big on shooting over the summer. With many centers closed, little to no income would be coming in. I was good at what I did and thought this job would be my last but after several years of treatment mentioned above, I bolted when I had the opportunity since decent jobs in my area were tough to come by.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all your employees, especially the ones who supported you and stuck around that horrific first fall when you forced a roll-out that was nowhere near ready. Most of us had to deal with the stress and the huge amount of extra work dealing with that while watching everything we had worked for go down the drain. Then unprofessional treatment after that made me want to run whether I had a job or not.

"Photographer/Passer"

Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

I worked in the home office area and in CO. I worked with a great team. I had immediate access to props, backgrounds, IT and management.

Cons

Driving more than an hour one way at 3 in the morning to get to a school to set up and start photographing as soon as parents arrive to drop off their kids. I also know that the company has since been bought out and all of my wonderful team has left in both locations from poor management.

Advice to Management

No complaints. Loved my management leaders that I had in 2014.

"3 Amigos have no expierience in this industry"

Former Employee - Account Representative/Portrait Consultant
    Former Employee - Account Representative/Portrait Consultant

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No Pros, especially upper management, they have no idea how to run this company

Cons

paying people more than an area could ever generate bad business plan
    bouncing checks
    ruined the TBP name in the daycare industry

Advice to Management

Try some business management classes at local college. Just because daddy in law could buy you a business to cut your teeth on doesn't mean its a good idea.

"Account Representative"

Pros

Flexible Schedule, building long-term relationships with Directors.

Cons

Pay could've been better. Management oblivious to the field employees and not supportive

Sep 7, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry that was your experience with us. I'm left with so many questions! We have several lines of communication for an account representative. Did you bring this to ... More

"Changes in company making it hard to stay"

Current Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant
    Current Employee - Photographer/Portrait Consultant

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with children and putting smiles on their faces. Parents reactions to their child's beautiful photos.

Cons

Pay is up and down-it all depends on the sales and how much parents can afford. Recent changes make it difficult to have the same confidence in the company as I did my first 2 years with them.

Aug 23, 2016 – Recruiter

Hello! I'm glad that it sounds like you're enjoying your time working at the company, thank you for taking the time to write an honest review. I’m sorry if you're finding that your pay is up ... More

8. "Run!!"

Former Employee - Photograher in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Photograher in Tampa, FL

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time

Pros

The only thing I liked was that I took awesome pictures and I got really good at taking pictures of kids.

Cons

You have to carry the whole heavy studio with you everywhere you go, my car was full all the way to the passenger side. It takes about 30 minutes or more to Pack and 30 minutes or more to set the studio, and you have to be ready to start at 7:30 am, most of the care centers are over an hour or two away and after your done you down load all the pictures and pick 3 poses for each kid and they are usually more than 70 kids, every day, so I worked 24/7. after adding up, the pay was about $1.50 an hr. also it is easy to get sick with all the kids you have to be handling. and the company does not care if your're sick, you have to go sick to work and when you do, the daycare managers get angry of course, They train you in the nice day cares, then they send you to the worst ones. My first one was horrible with over 100 kids with parents that did not have manners, abusive and bully's. The pay is too low for all you have to do, besides the trainers had attitudes, they treat it me really bad, Not worth it, really, really sucks.

Advice to Management

Higher salaries, better trainers, ones with out superiority complex. find a more practical way to carry a studio.

"Nothing good"

Former Employee - Photographer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Photographer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned the ropes of the business.

Cons

Management completely out of touch with the realities of the job, and with the daily demands of their system. Everything was a poor experience- from the pitiful 8% sales commission for doing most of the work to the lack of appropriate compensation for travel to and from assignments. All of my colleagues quit last season due to poor management, lack of money, and long hours.

Advice to Management

Respect your people in the field with fair compensation and respect local labor laws.

Aug 29, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure of your exact circumstance, but I would like to get these concerns addressed, if they haven't already been addressed by HR. Please reach out to me at ... More

10. "Perfect for my life"

Current Employee - TERRITORY LEADER
    Current Employee - TERRITORY LEADER

I have been working at Teddy Bear Portraits full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, lighter summer and holiday workload, holidays off, independent work

Cons

Went through some major changes in the last year but things are turning around for the better.

Hauling all the equipment is a pain, but necessary for the type of photography

Not a great posite on if you aren't self motivated and need someone standing over your shoulder.

Advice to Management

Keep working to listen to your top performers and needs of the account and parents.

Please look at the customer service department and make necessary changes to keep parents and schools happy.

Aug 23, 2016 – Recruiter

Hello! Thank you so much for your kind review and words of wisdom. We are always looking to improve, and would like all of our employees to feel like they have a voice. I'm glad you're ... More

11. "Okay company"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Teddy Bear Portraits (Less than a year)

Pros

insurance, work life balance

Cons

management, no room to grow

Advice to Management

listen to employees

Aug 23, 2016 – Recruiter

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to write a review! I am sorry that your experience wasn't stellar, and you felt unheard. We know that our positions are not for everyone, but maybe there is ... More