Tekelec Reviews | Glassdoor

Tekelec Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "Great Mid-cap company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong core values. Traditional Development Environment. Conservative Leadership

Cons

Slow to react sometimes. Not Invented Here syndrome can be a problem

Advice to Management

Focus on growth

2. "Awesome Engineering Staff"

Former Employee - Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Engineering department is top notch with emphasis not only on product but excellence in professionalism.

Cons

Emphasis on numbers over people

Advice to Management

Realize what incredible people work for the company

3. "Career killer, poor management and deceiving communication."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

What it used to be, the memory of what it once was.

Cons

CEO regularly lies to the work force in all minds meetings. Nobody trusts or believes what comes out of our addict leader. Executive team bubble, needs to be trimmed down to reasonable levels. Middle and lower management disaster! With a few exceptions, most managers are not trained or have the skills to do their jobs. This has caused a mass exodus out of Tekelec into competing companies. There is no path for advancement, nor any sense of satisfaction for the job you do. Tekelec does not seem to mind or care about their talent and turn a blind eye to mediocre management.

Advice to Management

Advice? Be ashamed, you are a failure.

And for the CEO... how are you enjoying those millions you made on our backs?

5. "Fleximus Maximus - the good and the poor"

Former Employee - Project Management, Instructor, Tech Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Treated like an adult - work hours/objectives are yours. Given a job to do and you are accountable. Great atmosphere, Talented People, original products were engineered, tested and bullet-proof. Always room to move to different departments and learn new, challenging skills.

Cons

Moved away from in-house engineered/tested solutions to a customer-tested (read - new products tested in the customer network, after being sold/fielded to customer). Customer service is lip-service here: it's all about the revenue train. Short sighted profiteering, leaving the customer base feeling ripped off. Senior Management (director and above) living off the reputation of the Eagle product. Attempting to leverage the new (cobbled together products) into the market, without regression testing in order to meet pie-in-the-sky sales promises.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth with your employees. There are record profits and the workers have been shorted. The employees are VERY smart and your "Brain-Drain" has begun. Make RADICAL changes to the pay structure, or you will lose them to Cisco, EMC, Apptio, and SciQuest!

"Not a bad place to weather the recession-- decent management, work/life balance"

Current Employee - IT Staff in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time

Pros

Note that this review reflects post-acquisition stabilized Tekelec, which is very different from pre-acquisition or during-acquisition.

Recent change from public to private equity ownership has allowed the company to focus more on long-term vision and less on the insanity of quarterly-driven profits.

Clear communication from upper management on company strategy and market conditions. Most managers are very on-message, which has helped employee morale after rounds of layoffs during the economic downturn and the private equity acquisition. A sense of hope has emerged from the roller coaster of the Great Recession.

Strong legacy of 3G products give the company financial stability. Significant growth opportunities for new LTE products. Good reputation in the telecom industry due to legacy of SS7/3G products-- Tekelec has a good name.

Good work/life balance in most departments. Good relationships among co-workers in most departments.

Decent benefits. Use-it-or-lose-it vacation days, and generous amounts of vacation. People actually take vacations here, unlike places where vacation days accrue but no one ever takes any breaks because of pressure to avoid being seen as a weak worker.

Personnel changes have forced management hierarchy flattening and management attrition. As the hierarchy has flattened, Tekelec has promoted managers from within the ranks. While this sometimes leads to inexperienced managers, what they lack for in experience they make up for in common sense and a realistic understanding of how work actually gets done.

Cons

Benefits are varied, some benefits are great, some are average or a little below average. Some employees complain about health coverage (which is pretty standard industry coverage, but not a Cadillac plan, which means there are going to be some gaps for certain people). Most employees haven't had any issues with it.

Private equity ownership makes some employees nervous, since inevitably private equity will need to take their profit and that means big changes for employees (could go public again, could get sold, who knows?). In my opinion, that's not a big deal. There are a lot of advantages to not being a publicly-traded company.

Big workplace change at Tekelec is inevitable, but that could be years away, or tomorrow. I'd rather know it's coming and not be surprised then to be shocked when it happens. It's easier to plan for impending change.

Doesn't matter where you work, no one can predict the future, just ask former Nortel employees, Worldcom, Enron, IBM'ers who became Lenovo, etc. What matters is right now, and right now Tekelec is a decent place to work. If you have a crystal ball that tells the future, please share it with the rest of us.

For now I'll take my chances here-- it's a good environment right now. I've been elsewhere in the industry and elsewhere is actually much worse than here.

Advice to Management

Keep employees appraised. Over-communication is okay during times of uncertainty, and morale is improving.

Spend a little more on healthcare, it'll make hiring more competitive.

7. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance for certain departments. Nice Cafe and facilities. Good group of people.

Cons

Hard to get ahead unless you are in Management.

Advice to Management

Need to reward the technical workers as well as the folks in Management

8. "Great work environment in a very different type of market than what you're taught in school"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn lots of skills that schools do not usualy offer.

Cons

None as of my current employment

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "OK place to work but now under private corporate management causing lots of employee uncertainty"

Current Employee - Engineering in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with at Tekelec. Building great products that is leading the mobile broadband telecom industry.

Cons

New private corporate management team is only in it for the money and the company will be sold in a few years. Lots of good people leaving the company because of the culture and compensation changes.

10. "Professional Services"

Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A diverse group of dedicated engineers and technicians. The benefits have been good although are beginning to erode.

Cons

The management methods range from ancient to archaic. If there is any budget for training of middle and lower level managers, I have not detected it. None of the managers that I talked to could name even one of the five functions of management and very few had ever heard of W. Edwards Demming. When I asked one manager about his management philosophy, his response was, "I hate you!" As far as I can tell, even talking about management here is verboten. As a result, managers use oppressive and dysfunctional management methods and can't understand why things are not working.

The demands towards certain employees is that fourteen hours of work a day is not enough. We want more from you. There are plenty of people out there who would work your job.

Advice to Management

1. You must find a way to provide a critical mass of products in the 3G/LTE/EPC markets or customers will stop bothering to turn to you.
    2. You must find a way to break through the Nortel management stranglehold or fall.
    3. Convince your customers that you really know 3G/TLE/EPC control and signaling.

11. "Good group of people with acceptable benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Tekelec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the work are both good. There are opportunities to move around within the company. Vacation benefit is good.

Cons

Benefits have eroded over the last several years (probably standard for the industry but disappointing). Upper management keeps things close to the vest.

Advice to Management

Share more information on the difficulties the company faces. Don't put a positive spin on bad news. It would be better to hear bad news and a plan to make it better.