Tektronix Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lyn Cantor

1. "Old company to launch from"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Stable
    great work life balance
    good vaca

Cons

Slow
    talent poached
    industry is running out of room

Advice to Management

Keep on trucking, listen to ideas from new hires

"It's a retirement community"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Tektronix Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place if you are in in the DFW area and looking for a relaxing job with very few responsibilities. It has been acquired by Netscout, hopefully things will get better.

Cons

Very conservative and the average age in the company is at least 40

"Slowly dying from attrition"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Tektronix Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Initial salaries are usually not bad, but don't expect you income to grow faster than inflation.
    Great health insurance. Sometimes good bonuses (sometimes).

Cons

Tektronix Communications technically no longer exists; we recently merged with NetScout Systems. But I put this review here because the Plano office, which was originally Tektronix Communications, things haven't changed much for the better. NetScout Systems claims to be employee-centric; that doesn't seem to be taking effect in the Plano office.
    The biggest problem the company has is hanging on to top-talent. We seem to be able to bring good people in, but once they get proficient, they tend to move on to companies like Amazon (we've lost 3 to them so far this year alone). The company has decent benefits; on par with most other high tech companies. And we supposedly have a generous bonus policy, but under Danaher the company's financial goals were set unrealistically high and the previously great bonuses dried up. Under NetScout, not much seems to have change in that respect.
    Every day it feels like management is pulling further on the purse strings. Budgets keep tightening, and even worse, when we lose our top-talent we don't seem to be able to replace them. Instead everyone else just has to work harder.

Advice to Management

If you really want your internal survey results, which this year's management performance review objective, you need to stop being cheap. And if someone suggests adding perks like companies like Google and Amazon have, seriously consider it instead of just saying we're not Google/Amazon. Google and Amazon are immensely successful companies; by saying we can't have perks like they do, we're really just saying we don't want to emulate success.

5. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - PLM in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - PLM in Plano, TX

I have been working at Tektronix Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work, good people and reasonable work-life balance

Cons

Management seamed to lack direction at times

"As they stand now, I would never work for them again."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice parking lot. Air conditioned building. Bathrooms were clean. Night time security was visible. That's about it.

Cons

Virtually little to no on-board training (for the department I worked in) was provided to me. As to the "training" I did receive, it was not even provided until approximately two weeks PRIOR to the project's final due date. This despite several, several attempts and requests made to management weeks in advance. In my opinion it was far too little, and far too late. Even with 15+ years of Fortune 200 telecommunications work experience their expectations were that I develop, build upon, and improve their existing material for the next release date; this despite the fact that the existing material I had to work from was, in my opinion, well below industry standard.
    Bottom line - I found the on-boarding process and "training" to be of little to no value.
    So called SME assistance offered was virtually nil. You could walk in with 15 - 20+ years of telecom corporate experience and yet still be completely lost as to how and why prior projects were completed/released in the manner for which they were. In my opinion they should consider a complete revamp from the top down. Not bottom up, but top down. Good luck to them. As for me, I would never work for them again..

Advice to Management

Seek to be merged wit another company.

"Could have been great!"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good engineers and support personnel. Very large, loyal customer base.

Cons

Poor management. Much more concerned with their status vs. subordinates. Many financial issues. Almost yearly lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Change corporate culture of annual downsizing vs. good management practices.

"Lab Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Linux/Unix Systems Administrator in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Linux/Unix Systems Administrator in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment and coworkers.

Cons

Lack of training and opportunities to advance.

Advice to Management

More training.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Using cutting edge technologies to solve real world big-data problems.

Cons

Management and direction changes multiple times per year with little care for the employees and their needs. Good developers tend to leave because they can, while the dead weight stays around.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your people and ensure that all managers from top to bottom are making sane decisions and working with their teams, not just leading them down dead ends.

"A Constant State of Chaos"

Former Employee - Engineering in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Very intelligent, talented (though mismanaged) people.
    - Everyone understands each other's struggle, so people are willing to help out where they can.
    - The pay is pretty good. Bonuses have been consistent.
    - Benefits are acceptable for the industry.

Cons

- Processes change multiple times a year; you constantly have to learn new tools and practices, because no one at any mgmt level seems to really know any best practices for running a successful software company.
    - Executive mgmt were hired and fired throughout the year.
    - People are herded from project to project like cattle, with very little ramp up time before the next due date, and no training. This results in lots of stressed out amateurs and very few experts in any area.
    - Disconnect between product line owners and engineering regarding deliverables and time frames.
    - Major projects are consistently underestimated. It is normal for projects to run many months longer than "planned".
    - Support and Development work together like oil and water. This behavior seemed to be encouraged by management.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Think and act like an industry leader, not like a start up operating out of a garage. Recognize that you have some of the best talent out there. Happy employees make better products. It's not too much to ask for stability, reasonable deadlines, and processes that work. With the transition to NetScout (hopefully), take it as an opportunity to revamp (hopefully for the last time) and create a better culture.

"Working at TekComms"

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Tektronix Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and good benefits
    Work from home allowed for Sales guys

Cons

Reorganization and lay off every year bringing employees morale down.
    Danaher acquisition destroyed company values. Used to be a good company before the acquisition.

Advice to Management

Spend some time and money in improving people skills.
    Need to reserve the talented people.