Telenav Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Telenav President and CEO H. P. Jin
H. P. Jin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Other perks include: free food, team events, free massages, on-site gym, low-cost health insurance (in 15 reviews)

• Smart and good management, People are nice and friendly, Good and deep technical knowledge, People are smart and hardworking (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • watch how quickly google and apple can drink your milkshake (in 8 reviews)

• management team changes frequently (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good company, Good Team."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Telenav full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Telenav is the pioneer of mobile navigation and has expanded from mobile navigation to mobile ads and automobile navigation. Being part of connected car innovation, Telenav has big potential.

I have been in Telenav search team for more than 7 years since graduation. There are smart, motivated, passionate people and exciting, challenging projects. Individuals can make big impact and have great opportunity of professional growth. I am so fortunate to be part of telenav search team since day one.

Cons

Stock price is not that attractive but it has potential to grow in the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest more on innovation. Retain and hire good talents

2. "Lead UX Designer"

Former Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great UX team, with lots of talented designers who have various skills. Co-workers are humble, creative and willing to share or listen ideas. Managers are very kind and supportive.

- Chances to work on different products for a huge and fast-growing market(connected car) that impacts end users' everyday life.

- Involve in a full product design and development process.

- Opportunities for training and growing, such as continuing studies.

- Team building and Friday happy hour.

- Chances to travel to the different office in Europe and Asian.

Cons

- Sometimes have to manage the work for different time zone, but it's ok for me
    - Food in Cafeteria is not good, I always use the credits to buy coffee and drinks.

Advice to Management

A better office environment that shows company's brand and culture.

3. "There're challenges with Telenav and we're on the right path."

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Telenav full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm a current employee and have been worked with Telenav for a couple of years.

Telenav is one company that cares about its employee. As I joined Telenav as my first job, I have learned & improved a lot during these serveral years. There are always people here who wants to contribute and also willing to help each other. Specially for myself, I got a lot of help and support from colleagues, the management teams during the worst time of my life. For which, I will be gratefull for a lift time. I have meet the best colleagues and friends here.

Telenav is also a company provides a lot of opportunities for people to grow. It encourages invovation and provides good traning programs. It eagers for the talents and have a open mind to adapt new technologies.

Cons

Telenav does have challenges. It's working on business model transition (which is actually quite sucessfull) and is keeping looking for new opportunities in the connected car business. As an engineer, I see there is a need for Telenav to build a strong architecutre and infrasture team to build solid foundation. Also, engineers team are spent a lot of time on external delieveries and there is a lot of space to improve efficiency...

Advice to Management

Despite these challenges (there're more, believe me), we're on the right path with right people. There is good opportunity here for individuals to make a difference here.

4. "In a painful transition"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Telenav full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enough cash flow to survive.

Cons

Shrinking business, in a painful transition

"A Team I Wish I Didn't Have to Leave"

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• People : The group of designers that work there are easily the most amazing individuals I've ever had the experience of working with in my professional career (which is a long time). They are skilled, they are professional, and they work so well together. This makes the 9-5 feel like a cake-walk instead of a job.

• Company Vibe : It's not often that the head of the company tries so hard to make sure the people who work for him feel included. He reinforces the "family" mentality, and makes a point to show how grateful he is for everyones hard work and dedication.

• Vision : When you have a VP with a clear vision on what the company will be, especially a company in the process of reinventing itself,... it's inspiring. Seeing where this company is going, both the product and the shared working spaces; it'll be great to see them grow. The offices will be beautiful, and it'll only bring new and more amazing opportunities.

Cons

• The food, but that's going to be fixed shortly because they are in the process of a beautiful renovation (both menu and shared space).

Advice to Management

The team handling the UI/UX department is a solid unified team. Their positivity and passion keep the team in amazing spirits, and help drive us/them to be the best at their jobs. I would only say, please continue to inspire the people who join your group of amazing creative minds.

"Telenav is a place to go if your only goal is a paycheck because you won't get much substance from anything else here"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good benefits and pay
    - good location near Levis Stadium and Great America
    - nice co-workers
    - willing to try new things

Cons

- company morale feels really low, no one seems amped to be there
    - actual work was pretty boring
    - navigation in cars just doesn't seem like a long-term viable option, most people use mobile devices
    - creating designs for projects that won't be released for multiple years
    - office space is VERY un-inspiring, every morning walking in felt like walking into a depression zone
    - food is HORRIBLE at the cafeteria, many people got sick from eating there
    - overall company feels like it just lacks that passionate talent to take them anywhere but the bottom

7. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Telenav full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can do what you want to do here.

Cons

They should do something new, not auto only.

Advice to Management

It's the soemthing I don' t want to talk about it.

8. "good company"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice. Location is good.

Cons

Salaries are not the best.

"Not a great place to work - for Product Managers"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some team members are great to work with, some Product management leadership members are good executors.

Cons

Specific to product management - the product management leadership are weak leaders with little to no EQ. They followed a very top down approach and lacked transparency and the leadership team is plagued with unwarranted ego and lot of politics. Also, instead of clearing obstacles, they seemed to increase red tapes. The weekly sync / 1:1 with managers rarely happened. The little feedback that we got felt as if being interrogated.

The future of the company is also not too bright unless they start seriously start pursuing adjacent opportunities.

Advice to Management

Hire a product leadership team that are good leaders - especially people who can motivate and clear obstacles for the rest of product management team to execute. Make skip level meetings necessary and try to have 360 feedback. Take exit interviews of people leaving and follow up with leadership on that.

10. "A great team with big potential in an interesting space"

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Telenav full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have a solid, engineering-driven organization and we have stuck with it and nearly completed a difficult multi-year turn-around now, which means things are getting exciting and will get more exciting soon. I've been at Telenav longer than any other company by far and they've treated me quite well the whole time. I like how open people are to new ideas and technologies and mapping and OSM are a lot of fun. There's tremendous opportunity to make a mark. And in spite of what people assume about competing with Apple and Google, we continue to win deals against them and the not too distant future looks bright to me.

Cons

It can take work and communication skills to get things done in a global enterprise operating in several time zones. You really have to take initiative here and also you have to ask for what you want. It's great for the independently motivated, but probably hard for those who need a lot of oversight.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on profitability. Keep it up.