Telenav Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Telenav President and CEO H. P. Jin
H. P. Jin

Pros
  • Other perks include: free food, team events, free massages, on-site gym, low-cost health insurance (in 15 reviews)

• There's a positive vibe that comes with the work environment that any individual would enjoy (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Management , ESPECIALLY for Project Management (in 7 reviews)

• Don't know why the Upper management team transfer some English Major ladies to manage the project (in 7 reviews)

1. "Customer Support Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company culture
    Everybody is passionate about their role
    Very culturally diverse
    Fun company sponsored events
    Family friendly
    Great benefits

Cons

I found no cons during my 8 years of employment.
    If you come to work with a positive attitude, then you will likely feel the same way.

Advice to Management

Being a former employee, I'm not sure my advice would be current enough to be worthy. I would say to keep up the good work. I often look back and really miss working there.

2. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food on some days. Happy hour every Friday. Good team members.

Cons

Low on compensation. Unclear road map and long term goals. Many good people left the company.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining talent.

"Meaningful work, lack of focus"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clear ownership of roles and responsibilities, meaty projects, team collaboration

Cons

Stagnating growth opportunity, lack of vision, decision by committee slows decision making

Advice to Management

Find a new niche. You have many smart people. Use them to find your next great idea and grow outside of the navigation space.

"It's challenging to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Interesting product
    Nice and many hard-working people

Cons

It's mainly a Chinese company. Product requirement is unclear, development and design process are not there, so it is running an inefficient loop. Most people are usually very busy for multiple tasks and working long hours, so it's totally not a work-life-balanced place.

Many employees are from overseas, so the communication could be unprofessional. Because of lacking communication and proper written documentation, responsibilities and completed tasks are difficult to track down. There is no scrum mater to monitor the tasks in the development cycle, and QA could be imagining how/what the product should work and perform.

Big ego of the employee worked there for over 10 years could dominate the product design without sharing. In order to have the control, it could be easy to make a blame on other teammates, which managers are either filtered, ignorant, or too busy to understand the deep down problems. This makes the company become like a family run business and hard to grow to a higher level.

Although the management is trying hard to improve and make it better, it could be very hard to change the root culture.

Advice to Management

Each individual works hard enough, so the management needs to trust employees more. If employees continue working overtime, they are physically exhausted and mentally tired, no one could be productive especially they are unhappy. It is costing more if the company keeps loosing good employees.

The root cause of inefficiency is the entire lifecycle, and the company needs an experienced scrum mater to monitor each single step. Hire more experienced professionals to help change the working habits and even just basic business practice. Listening to the new fresh voice rather than just following the old employee, or the product can never improve.

Do not continue giving employees pressure about the cost and money, which does not generate any positive experience. This only makes employees think of leaving as long as they can.

"A lack of focus"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many wonderful people at Telenav. They provide competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Product org is a mess, conflicting agendas, leadership seems out of touch with both customers and operators.

Advice to Management

Focus on doing on doing less the right way, instead of more the wrong way.

Telenav Response

Oct 11, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at Telenav. As is the case in the lifecycle of any growing company, Telenav is emerging from a shift in focus and ... More

"Navigation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Telenav (More than a year)

Pros

Wide variety of interesting opportunities

Cons

Waterfall process in some projects

8. "General and Administrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Telenav full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like Telenav's working environment. People are friendly, smart and fun to work with. They work hard to get things done. I find a place where I am happy to go to work every day.

Cons

sometimes it can take a while to get things done.

Advice to Management

I like my manager and he gives me the guidance and also the autonomy to do interesting and challenging projects.

9. "Good environment"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

friendly coworker, food truck and happy hour

Cons

less pay, too much layoff, no completion

10. "I recommend working for TeleNav"

Current Contractor - Receptionist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Receptionist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Telenav as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is upbeat, relaxed, and welcoming. Everyone is super kind and respectful of each other and everyone is always willing to help someone out whenever assistance is needed. There's a positive vibe that comes with the work environment that any individual would enjoy. Even though Telenav is modern, and exciting, everyone is definitely high class and professional. This is a growing company that people should definitely have eyes on.

Cons

No Cons that I can think of.

11. "Search and Discovery Intern"

Former Intern - Search and Discovery in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Intern - Search and Discovery in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Telenav as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employers in search and discovery teams are friendly. The gave enough time to learn new stuff for the required task. Happy hour's and free food are great. As intern I feel it's a great place to work.

Cons

I don't have much to say in cons as I was interning only for few months. Someone who worked for a while should know the cons.

Advice to Management

It's great place to work and learn a lot of stuff. I have no advice to give as my working period was short and limited.