Teletrac Navman Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Renaat Ver Eecke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pretty flexible for work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Fantastic benefits, work from home and car (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The company says their main priorities are quality and customer service but that is a load of crap (in 13 reviews)

• There are challenges and I will say those challenges were all brought on by the former Teletrac Management team (in 6 reviews)

1. "Technical Support Tier II"

Current Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Teletrac Navman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn something new ever day.

Cons

Team work various on how people help each other out

Advice to Management

The company keeps changing allot and I am not sure if they know what they want to accomplish

2. "Good to Great"

I have been working at Teletrac Navman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The executive team. My co-workers. Great people with great minds who care and want to do the right thing.

Cons

It has been a rough several years since Teletrac and Navman Wireless have merged. There are challenges and I will say those challenges were all brought on by the former Teletrac Management team. Period. Now that we are rid of those processes, people and behaviors and have a real team at the helm, we are going to improve by the day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep your eyes open on what really is happening on the front lines.

3. "Implementation, Sales and customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Teletrac Navman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managemebt ead flexible work schedule if family issues came up.

Cons

Lack of ownership with the sales, and customer service teams. Product was horrible and didn't work most of the time.

Advice to Management

Better product and training for the Sales and internal support teams.

4. "disorganized and stressful environment"

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at Teletrac Navman full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

free snacks
    reasonable pay
    close to freeways

Cons

- stressful environment
    - management does not care about employees (upper management)
    - company runs lean on people. they will squeeze every drop out of you and will stretch you to the maximum.
    - Company operates with less than minimum required employees, always.
    - Hard for management to get more people when help is needed. you will do the job of 2 or 3 people
    - layoff are always in December and uncertainty runs in the air before Christmas with no advance notice, super stressful.
    - Management does not care about loyalty. I was fired after 10+ years for 1 error, had clean record all of this time and management did not care. I was also not compensated for any of these years of loyalty what so ever.

Advice to Management

Get more people when help is anticipated, not when work is out of control. Listen to employees. Care about employees, numbers too, but care for the people. Try not to create a stressful environment. Compensate employees for loyalty.

5. "QA Lead"

I worked at Teletrac Navman full-time

Pros

Good technology to work with.

Cons

too much pushing ( I think the person moved out, now it might be OK)

Advice to Management

Good co workers. Senior management need to listen to employees.

6. "Great mid size company"

I have been working at Teletrac Navman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team based work culture, working in transportation a growing industry, excellent benefits

Cons

None I can think of

7. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Teletrac Navman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management cares what's going on at all levels.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

8. "TeletracNavman is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Manager in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Software Manager in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Teletrac Navman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance!
    C-level team that takes the time to listen to feedback.
    Healthy snacks in the break-room.

Cons

There are still lingering divisions between the former Teletrac and Navman portions of the company.

9. "Not a long term job"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Arlington, TX

I worked at Teletrac Navman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A consistent check until it runs out due to management being disconnected

Cons

No direction from Mgmt at all

"Each individual knows and plays a critical role in the comany's success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Teletrac Navman full-time

Pros

Speaking in the context of R&D / Engineering,

Everyone plays a critical role in the company's success. Our customers expect the best, and we intend to deliver on that promise. It's a lean organization, so everyone has to pull their weight in order to achieve the aggressive goals that we set for ourselves.

As a result our culture has evolved to a high degree of camaraderie, not only within teams, but cross departmentally. When challenges arise, such as unexpected hurdles, everyone just comes together to solve the problem.

A strong component of the culture that comes from a key value inherited from our parent company, Fortive, and that is continuous improvement. It's not just a philosophy, but a set of practices for which we have tools that provide a common framework throughout the company as well as across the Fortive group of companies. Which means each team isn't having to re-invent the wheel, but rather we have folks dedicated to evolving, developing, and educating on these various business process tools (e.g. low level tactical problem solving processes, to high level long term strategic processes).

Both a pro and a con is we're very geographically distributed (with Engineering conducted in two California locations, two UK locations, New Zealand, and India). The con is that it is challenging maintaining momentum/synchronization across time zones, but the pro is that when you get it right you literally have follow the sun continuous engineering.

An interesting pro is that we're wholly owned by Fortive, a $6B company, yet we operate very independently. We have our own culture and identity, and our engineering culture is much more start-up like (although our history goes back about 25-30 years and our total employee count is about 900), and by that I mean it's fast, intense, and exciting. So we have the culture of a small nimble organization, with the foundation and support of a large multi-billion company.

And being a part of the Fortive creates opportunities to work at other Fortive companies as part of career development, as well as just being able to network with peers at other "OpCos" (i.e. sister companies). E.g. since we're one of the most heavily invested in the cloud OpCos, we've been providing our subject matter expertise to our sister OpCos.

From an engineering perspective, the challenge of what we do is incredible. We're tracking hundreds of thousands vehicles/assets around the globe, generating an astronomical amount of IoT data, and so our technology ecosystem is all about engineering for that kind of scale.

Everyone here can make a difference. It's a fairly flat organization, we run fairly lean, and so we all feel a strong sense of ownership. Every developer owns a feature. Every QA person is a specialist on certain features and topics.

Lastly, the people are what makes the difference. I've worked at a few companies over my career, and when I started here what immediately stood out, that continues to stand out, is the level of talent. You're in a constant state of learning, and management has been very surgically crafting the evolution of the team, and it's an absolute honor to be working among such bright and talented individuals!

Cons

Pros and cons are often two sides of the same coin.

So for example because there is a high degree of ownership, there's a high degree of responsibility, and having that kind of spotlight may not be something for everyone.

Or because it's a more established company backed by a very large parent company, it's not as nimble as a younger less-established smaller company.

As mentioned in the pros, our engineering is conducted across many locations. So timezone challenges come into play.