Telmate Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Richard Torgersrud

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free food a couple days a week : (in 9 reviews)

• In over 20 years of working in tech companies, this company has the best Work/Life balance I have ever experienced (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • go on linkedin and take a look at some of the employees that have been there for a while - they don't have the most impressive backgrounds (in 3 reviews)

• junior members who have been at the company a while have so much power they are pushing out middle managers or those with more experience who are new (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Massive positive transformation"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As another reviewer noted I can only speak to my personal experience here at Telmate, but I must say first and foremost that it’s been extremely rewarding both personally and professionally.

I know in the past there have been shady management requests for good reviews, but I’d like to state up front that I was not forced, coerced, encouraged or even asked to write a review. I’m not in management and I was never part of the hated in-crowd from past reviews. Though I was rarely personally affected, I do not deny that Telmate was previously plagued by many of the negative issues mentioned in other reviews. However, Telmate has been in *major* transition over the last 12 months and I’ve seen so many improvements that I couldn’t have even hoped for 2 years ago. The engineering department especially has done a 180 thanks largely to a major overhaul in leadership.

When I started I was fortunate enough to be placed on a tight-knit, well-run team with an awesome manager and I think that made all the difference in my experience here in the early days. Now I would be happy to work on any engineering team - Telmate has a great bunch of smart, passionate and fun individuals. Not all our tech is sexy, but it is extremely diverse and offers many challenges and opportunities for learning, growth, and ownership.

I’ve also found Telmate to be extremely family friendly. Some people work earlier or later hours to fit their family schedule. No one bats an eye if you need to pick up a sick kid from daycare or attend your child’s band recital. I have never been asked or expected to work weekends or late hours, or to sacrifice in any way my personal or family life.

The worst I can say right now is that the current engineering management/leads are a little green and still working on how to become the perfectly-oiled machine that we’re all aiming for. The company recognizes this issue and is actively supporting these changes and the individuals working toward them.

I have worked at Telmate for almost three years and I am still excited about my projects, my colleagues, and my career here. I greatly value the friendships and working partnerships I’ve formed at Telmate and I hope they will continue well into the future!

* Talented and passionate individuals
      * Good camaraderie
      * Family friendly and flexible
      * 401K matching
      * Office location
      * Free food and drinks (and sometimes booze)

Cons

* Benefits are getting better but they're nothing to write home about
      * While newer management ramps up on how to mentor and coach you'll need to be more active in your own career development (though you should be active in that anyway...)

Advice to Management

Don't stop now! We've seen so many incredible changes in the last year but we're looking forward to even more; keep up the momentum!

Telmate Response

Jun 20, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for taking the time to write this candid review. I know it takes valuable time to write such a detailed review. I also want to let you know how much I appreciate getting feedback that you... More

"Great place to work at with general growing pains to accommodate fast growth."

Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here are enjoyable to work with in an open environment - smart, innovative, hardworking, friendly.
    Very unique market and several technology solutions (both hardware and software - web and mobile) around this particular market ends up being very challenging but exciting.
    Dedicated to Scrum including company sprint demos to show the teams' work
    Remodeled office with great meeting room views.
    Reviews and adjustments every 6 months.
    Catered breakfast/dinners certain days / separate kitchen eating or rec area
    Massage sessions twice a month.
    Company team building events.
    Hosted Meetups on upcoming technologies.
    Brown Bag technical lunch sessions.
    Opportunities for IT related professional training/conference attendance.

Cons

General growing pains to accommodate fast company growth - adjustments to new people and potential new teams as more people come on board - adjusting to dynamics of new teams/new people takes time.
    Private company, no stock options.
    Although innovative technologies are great - it's sometimes the Wild West when introducing new technologies, more standardization or leadership needed to avoid any potential technical debt.

Advice to Management

More communication on the vision of the company, increase level of transparency.
    Consider raising the referral bonus or add additional incentives - already have referred many to this company
    Identify or bring in technical leadership in order to ensure accountability.
    Improve the level of benefits - particularly dental.

"Innovative environment, excellent work-life balance!"

I worked at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot less trendy of an industry than most you can find in San Francisco; but Telmate is so forward-thinking, you'll hardly notice. Management is progressive when approaching every aspect of the business -- from the technology itself to the slick work environment to their respect for work-life balance.

Cons

Salary is not really competitive for a major city.

"I found work heaven..."

Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Self-managed teams, a Director that is professional and listens to your concerns and needs. The location is amazing, right in the center of the Financial District, China Town, near north beach and a few minutes from Union Square. Very smart people with great ideas and innovation. Great catered meals, snacks and break area.

Cons

The biggest con right now are the growing pains and implementing enterprise solutions that are manageable instead of complete home grown solutions. Change is tough at any time in a company but totally expected and needed with massive growth! Documentation is pretty scarce but offers a challenge in correcting that issue.

Advice to Management

With all the growth going on, some sort of guideline must be established to define the role of Product Owners in each group.

"Fun place, good people, stay on your A game. Gorgeous views, great location, a lot of creativity going on here."

Pros

Fun place, good people, many opportunities to show up and do a great job. Values, good people, a good spirit. A great stage of a company to be at--thriving, growing, dynamic.

Cons

You have to be on your game! This isn't really a "con", but this is a place where you are expected to really show up, and bring your A Game, to use another cliché.

"Company with amazing potential"

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great tech. This company actually builds things from software to hardware. They use the lastest web technologies.
    - Good employees: My peers are really motivated and skilled.
    - The company is profitable and privately owned. In the bay area, it is really rare.
    - There are perks like lunches and others.
    - stable company and competitive wages.

Cons

- A bit disorganized at times. However, management is making progress in managing work.
    - no stock options.

Advice to Management

NONE. It seems management is trying really hard to build the best they can.

"Happy as a clam, baby!"

Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What can I say... I love it here. I've been at Telmate through the good and the bad. I've seen a lot of crappy/untalented/bitter/disgruntled ex-employees shown the door. I've also seen a lot of smart people build it what it is today.

What it is today, is not what is was even, say, 6 months ago.

Every day is a snapshot in time, remember that. If you've read a few of the emotionally-charged reviews that are scathing and exaggerated by angry ex-employees, you should take it with a grain of salt. When you cut out the toxic element, things will drastically change for the better. See?

The current state of Telmate isn't perfect by any means. What company is? Lol. What it is though, is a company looking at itself in the mirror every day and evolving. The change so far has been tremendous and very much NEEDED. And we've come a long way baby!

I can list off a bunch of funtastic things about working here (yup, I said FUNtastic), but I won't. What I will tell you, is that everyone who is here NOW, is happy and flourishing. We're a true family that cares for one another and supports each other, even on a bad day.

I'm a long-time, happy Telmate employee who has crappy days too. I'm just glad I get to have them here with the people I'm around. My Telmate family is the best in the world.

Cons

No company is perfect and we have our days and make our mistakes. We operate like a family though, all moving towards the same goal. Even when there are hiccups.

But, we're always working on ourselves.

Unlike the angry ex-employees who can't seem to move on. Such a shame too, because looking FORWARD and getting excited about a new venture is so much better than being bitterly resentful and holding on to a grudge because you weren't a fit here. Right?

Oh, and I'm still holding out for our kitchen to bring back the Cheez-its. Grumble grumble..

Advice to Management

Keep looking in the mirror and making the great changes you're making now. Keep the eye on the prize and continue to make the current team feel valued, special and appreciated. Thanks.

8. "My Experience in the Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I realize that some may think that a five-star overall rating is extreme. As indicated by my review title, I'm going to focus on my current personal experience in the company. From my perspective, I'm having a five-star experience.

I love the work I'm doing and the people I work with. Many co-workers have become good friends.

I've been able to work on some fairly advanced technology and have learned a lot. I've been able to create opportunities for myself and succeed on those projects.

The physical work environment, to me, is excellent, as many of the reviews of Telmate have commented.

My work/life balance is good. I work hard but have ample time for my private life.

The culture and values of the company are in transition. From my perspective, we're headed in the right direction. There's good camaraderie in the office and at off-site gatherings.

Cons

I don't think of this as a negative, although some might ... that is, at times, it's necessary to figure out our my way to grow and learn professionally. Telmate uses quite a large array of technologies, so there's a lot of opportunities to learn new things and advance my knowledge.

Advice to Management

Continue sharing information with everyone in the company when possible.

Telmate Response

Mar 13, 2017 – VP of Engineering / CTO

Thank you for your feedback about your experience working at Telmate. We value all feedback, both positive and negative. I appreciate that you mention that this feedback is specific directly to... More

"I'm glad I came on board"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People. The people here are amazing. I have rarely met such a dedicated and devoted bunch of people in one place. Level of knowledge is very high and the willingness to learn and take on new challenges is ever present.
    Management listens to input from both above and below the current position.
    Perks, food several times a week, massage twice a week, a few other things, but in the end that is not what decides whether the place is a good work place or not.
    At the end of the day, it is a great place to work. I am excited to come to work every morning, I am excited to teach and learn from my colleagues. I really wish there were more companies like this.

Cons

I can't really think of any "cons". Like any other company there are things that could be improved. I don't think glass door is the place to air them. What I am thankful for is the fact that I can talk about any of these issues with the appropriate people without fear of being ignored or retribution, and those people listen. They actually listen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. keep listening and evolving, keep trying new things and keep the vibe that is Telmate going.

"Happy Camper!"

Current Employee - Administration in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Telmate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company of 45 employees. Good place to learn a lot and make an impact
    Company has "beer" afternoons, lunches and breakfast catered in several times a week
    Raises every six months. Yep... every six months ... Got to love this one! :-)

Cons

Still establashing internal processes
    Only allows 1 day as a work-at-home day.

Advice to Management

Overall a good company to work for, so no real complaints here!